Im Done with Deadlifts

the Bird:
My cervical 5-6/6-7 herniation (6mm) was from getting run over by a women driver while i was on a cycling training ride.
My Lumbar 3-4/4-5 herniation (6mm as well) was from a slip and fall while working as Ski Patrol at Mammoth Mtn in 2010.

Interestingly, I have found that by keeping my back strong (erectors, Glutes, Hamstrings (i own my own GHR)) by doing very
strict deadlifts with about 60-85% of max once a week and only testing max once every equinox/solstice I manage very well actually.

I also do foam rolling right next to the jacuzzi four days a week. Does it look stupid and funky ? Do I get questions from management about it…
ooh Fuck yeah. But when I explain the scientific basis for it, and how effective it was for me with the olympic teams since 1996, they tend to
get it.

I find that the more i stay on top of my SLEEP and Nutrition as well, that this all wraps into a very good therapeurtic outcome.

Continued Success to you my friend, I never want to see people injured while pursing that which they love…killerDIRK

How are you with squats? I’ve hurt my back on both but squats always seem to give me the most problems.

Sufiandy: dont know if that was directed at killerDIRK or the Bird but ill chime in.
I do do ass to grass squats watching that i do NOT get the dreaded and feared Butt Wink ., but this is with my warmup sets only.
The my warm up sets are no more than 70% of max. Otherwise when I lift heavy 85%+ I use a 13" box under my ass. This is just a
bit lower than where I would have to be to pass ANY federations definition of proper squat depth. I will be doing my first comp at the
end of this year. My division is “Old Guys who are Body Broken and Fucked”…hahaha.

Anyway, the same goes for the foam rolling et al.

[quote]Koestrizer wrote:
As others have mentioned if you have serious problems, drop deadlifts. But did you try sumo deads before? I am 6’2" aswell and I have long legs so I understand why a conventional deadlift can be a weird movement. Sumo deadlifts however are a lot easyer on the lower back in my experience. Best of luck with your injury and training![/quote]

I feel like, aside from the fact that both movements involve picking a barbell up off the floor to lockout, the sumo and conventional deadlift are very different movements that accomplish different results. Unless has a goal to be a powerlifter, is there any real benefit to swapping one with the other?

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]Koestrizer wrote:
As others have mentioned if you have serious problems, drop deadlifts. But did you try sumo deads before? I am 6’2" aswell and I have long legs so I understand why a conventional deadlift can be a weird movement. Sumo deadlifts however are a lot easyer on the lower back in my experience. Best of luck with your injury and training![/quote]

I feel like, aside from the fact that both movements involve picking a barbell up off the floor to lockout, the sumo and conventional deadlift are very different movements that accomplish different results. Unless has a goal to be a powerlifter, is there any real benefit to swapping one with the other?[/quote]

Probably no, as you are right about the difference between the two. But if he still wants to deadlift either because he gets to the conclusion that he isn’t willing to give up on it or because he wants to do a hip-hinge movement with as much weight as possible for building power, strength or a good physique this might be a solution to consider. If I were in his position I am sure that I would not want to give up and that I would be glad if I found an alternative. Not saying that this is the way everybody/ OP should approach training!