Im Done with Deadlifts

Im just announcing to the world that I am done with deads.

I have blown out my lower back again while deadlifting, even though it was only 100 kg for 3 reps. Looking back on that day, I was feeling tired and I was probably better off staying home and getting some rest, but I wanted to get a workout done on Sunday, so I could have a rest day on Monday.

Its been 7 days and I am still crooked and in some pain, although with some improvement. Im expecting this to take another 4-5 days before I can get back to training. Before this happened I was the strongest and fittest I have been for at least 3 years.

Anyway, its goodbye to deadlifting forever. Maybe, just maybe, I might one day consider a trap bar.

/rant.

tweet

You certainly don’t have to do deadlifts. Also, do try a trap bar if you ever get a chance. Totally changes the movement. Also, start using serious weights on those split squats.

Are you deadlifting correctly?

How much weight did you have on the bar?

Have you ever recorded yourself doing the lift with your phone or something?

me too, Birdy. One too many back injuries and I just thought fuck it

[quote]matthew_gray wrote:

Have you ever recorded yourself doing the lift with your phone or something? [/quote]

I’ll just answer for him:

1. Probably not. Sorry birdie. Then again, it seems like it’s an awkward lift for him.
  2. He mentioned that - 100kg.
  3. Yes, he uploaded quite a few vids.

[quote]matthew_gray wrote:

Have you ever recorded yourself doing the lift with your phone or something? [/quote]

I don’t want to knock someone who’s trying to help, but one look at the OP’s profile will answer all of these questions.

I feel like more people should make this decision.

Sample Non-Deadlift Workouts

Body-Builder
Upright Cable Row superset with Dumbbell Shrug
Seated Cable Row (V-Bar) superset with Pulldowns (shoulder width grip)
Chest Supported Row (Overhand Grip) superset with Pulldowns (v-bar)
Back Raise superset with Leg Curl

Strength
T-Bar Rows, sets of 8-10, 2 count pause at top and bottom
V-Grip Pulldowns, sets of 8-10, 2 count pause at top and bottom
Rack Pull just below knees, against Doubled Light Bands, 6-10 singles around 50-60%
Farmer’s Walk

Conditioning/Power
Romanian Dead Lift/ Bent Over Row/ Shrug Complex
Kettle Bell Swing/ Kettlebell Figure 8 pass around legs/ Sidebend Complex

Power Builder Bad-Ass
Weighted Chins
Bent Over Barbell Rows
Stiff Leg Deadlift
Shrug

Bill Star
Day 1
Clean Grip High Pull
Snatch Grip Shrug

Day 2
Power Snatch From Hang
Power Clean From Floor

Westside No Deadlift
Speed Deadlifts from Matts with chains
Reverse Hyper Extensions
Pulldown abs
Chest supported rows
Glute Hand Raises
Leg Raises with chains on ankles

I found I could just replace the deadlift with a mat/block pull where applicable. Not too much re-writing of routines necessary.

Ooh Bird ! Hope this does not permanently impinge your ability to Fly !!

From a rehab standpoint, try some traction on the back. A decline of 15* is usually enough, and can be had on a decline bench.
Let the gravity slowly…yes slowly work on your back. Also, I swear by grandma that Epsom Salt is a wonderful tonic.
Try a hot bath of that and then a long slow stretch on the floor.

Only…Only go to a chiro that practices by doing massage on and around the area first before an adjustment, if that is what you feel
is called for. Also, the more active a doctor is (mammoth lakes,ca has loads of them!) the more he will understand ! An athlete ever,
at one point has been injured. Find a doctor that is also an athlete and voila’, you have a winner.

Hope you heal well my friend ! Cannot imagine a world where the Bird is not free to Fly !!

killerDIRK

Not needed unless you powerlift. you can develop a great back and a lot of power without a deadlift

there is something VERY wrong with your body and/or form if you cannot DL 100kg x3 without getting seriously injured.

Thanks for all of the encouraging comments my dear friends.

I have always had a dodgy back, and hence conquering the deadlift has always been on top of my priorities, as my train of thought being that if I can deadlift some decent weight without pain means that I have won over my lower back demons.

At 6’2, with extra long legs, I don’t think deadlifts are for me.

My recent injury has really made me appreciate my health. I love movement. I love to lift. I love to sweat. I love to be out of breath. I don’t want to do anything that will jeopardise my ability to do these things.

I am going to re-think things. Need to work more specifically on my goals of power, speed and appropriate strength. Size is not important to me. Considering to do more bodyweight work. Learn how to do a handstand etc. Learn how to power clean, and learn to rest when I need to.

theBird will fly again.

tweet

Hey Bird, good to know you are not giving up.
Out of curiosity, how long is your inseam ? My is 33" with a size 12 foot, 6’1" overall.

There is nothing that will wreck an Athlete harder and for longer than ego (jim wendler).
Not that what you where doing was ego. I have followed you posts here long enough to know .
Be patient and do dead/trap bar for the remainder of your career.

Lets face it, we dont compete, so why put ourselves in a position of life altering injury ?

I have 4 herniated discs: Between C5/6 and C6/7 and lower at Lumbar 3/4 and 4/5.
I understand, we need to Be careful out there…

[quote]killerDIRK wrote:
Hey Bird, good to know you are not giving up.
Out of curiosity, how long is your inseam ? My is 33" with a size 12 foot, 6’1" overall.

There is nothing that will wreck an Athlete harder and for longer than ego (jim wendler).
Not that what you where doing was ego. I have followed you posts here long enough to know .
Be patient and do dead/trap bar for the remainder of your career.

Lets face it, we dont compete, so why put ourselves in a position of life altering injury ?

I have 4 herniated discs: Between C5/6 and C6/7 and lower at Lumbar 3/4 and 4/5.
I understand, we need to Be careful out there…
[/quote]

Thanks bro.

On dark days such as these, a kind word goes a long way.

Sorry to hear about your back? What did you do? What do you now do to help and for prevention?

tweet

Never thought Id say this but yeah Im actually inclined to agree. In his defence, Bird has a very slight build and probably bird bones.

Bird, I know you’re from Australia but are your parents Asian-origin by any chance?

[quote]TheCB wrote:
there is something VERY wrong with your body and/or form if you cannot DL 100kg x3 without getting seriously injured.[/quote]

[quote]Depression Boy wrote:
Never thought Id say this but yeah Im actually inclined to agree. In his defence, Bird has a very slight build and probably bird bones.

Bird, I know you’re from Australia but are your parents Asian-origin by any chance?
[/quote]

Hey buddy,

I am from European origins. Interestingly enough my old man has had lower back issues for his whole life as well, so there is definitely a genetic component to this.

tweet

deadlifts are weird. I’ve never, ever even strained or tweaked my back doing them, and I do them all the time. Hell, I hit near max singles almost every week. When I do strain myself, it’s almost always a pec strain. They really make my back feel great.

I wouldn’t even bother with it if you can’t pull 2 plates without hurting yourself. Nothing magical about the deadlift from a bodybuilding standpoint. Can you do stiff leg deads for hamstrings?

[quote]theBird wrote:
Thanks for all of the encouraging comments my dear friends.

I have always had a dodgy back, and hence conquering the deadlift has always been on top of my priorities, as my train of thought being that if I can deadlift some decent weight without pain means that I have won over my lower back demons.

At 6’2, with extra long legs, I don’t think deadlifts are for me.

My recent injury has really made me appreciate my health. I love movement. I love to lift. I love to sweat. I love to be out of breath. I don’t want to do anything that will jeopardise my ability to do these things.

I am going to re-think things. Need to work more specifically on my goals of power, speed and appropriate strength. Size is not important to me. Considering to do more bodyweight work. Learn how to do a handstand etc. Learn how to power clean, and learn to rest when I need to.

theBird will fly again.

tweet[/quote]

As others have mentioned if you have serious problems, drop deadlifts. But did you try sumo deads before? I am 6’2" aswell and I have long legs so I understand why a conventional deadlift can be a weird movement. Sumo deadlifts however are a lot easyer on the lower back in my experience. Best of luck with your injury and training!