I'm Concerned about a Fellow T-Man

In hearing about the staggering number of casualties suffered by the NYC Fire Department, my thoughts turned to a regular contributor to the Forum. NYC Firefighter, I pray you’re safe and are just spending all your waking hours in the rescue attempt. My Step Father is a Toronto Firefighter and I barely understand the bond fellow firefighters hold with each other. The only bond I can relate it to is the bond that has been created between all people as a result of this horrifying act. I hope you are safe. Thank you and all the others who have volunteered for your efforts in Manhattan.

NYC Firefighter - I too pray that you are safe and continuing to work to find your fellow firefighters as well as any other possible survivors. My thanks to you and all the other volunteers in NYC.

Agee, BigRob. Firefighters have an almost eternal bond with each other that only other firefighters can understand. They are imperfect people like the rest of us, I suppose, but they are really special people. I thank them also for all that they do, and will continue to do. Our prayers are with you, NYC Firefighter…

First let me start by saying that I am a firefighter in the Toronto area. The bond that exists between firefighters is something that is unequalled anywhere else in this world. As a firefighter I too am willing to risk alot (my life) in an effort to safe somebody I don’t even know. Being a firefighter might better be described as a calling and not a job. When a group of people share the same “calling” especially a “calling” that potentially involves risking your life, you can’t help but feel extremely close to those who share your passion. My thoughts and prayers are with each and every member of the New York City Fire Department. The only positive thing arising from the tragic deaths of so many of my brother and sister firefighters is the knowledge that they died doing something that really mattered. A person left the following poem on the International Association of Firefighters web page that so nicely sums up the feelings of a lot of us firefighters:

God saw you getting tired, and a cure was not to be, so he put his arms around
you and whispered, “Come to me.” With tearful eyes we watched you, and saw
you pass away, and although we loved you dearly, we could not make you stay.
A golden heart stopped beating, hard working hands at rest. God broke our
hearts to prove to us, he only takes the best.

I am not a firefighter, but I’ve known several, and I had the priveledge of having one for a scout master when I was in jr high. You guys (and gals) definitely don’t get paid enough for what you do. It takes a special breed, both physically and mentally, to do what you do. You are the everyday heroes that too often go unheralded. I applaud you.