T Nation

I'm Always Tired

it seems since i started lifting seriously and gaining weight almost a year ago, i have become extremely tired all the time. sleeping less than 8 hours means i am definitely dozing off in class and for most of the rest of the day. sleeping for 8-10 hours means i have a hard time waking up and a hard time not wanting to go take a nap all day long.

It’s spring break right now, i’m taking the week off from lifting, and the past 4 days straight i’ve slept 9-10 hours each night, done NOTHING during the daytime but sit around and check things out at T-Nation or other sites, and am constantly tired. as well, just now i went to go take a nap and fell deep asleep in a matter of a couple minutes, woke up like 2 hours later just cuz i was being called at to wake up, and it was near impossible getting me up.

i’ve felt like this for a long time, and anytime i do anything, i’m wanting to take a long nap right after. when i was thinner (5’10" 140-155), I never had this problem. In fact, it was the opposite, i was always alert and ready to move and almost had a hard time sleeping sometimes. now that i’m not even that much heavier (5’10" 180), it seems i’m dead tired 24/7, and my legs are even more tired all the time. what gives?

Possibly poor circulation? I don’t really know, you should see a doctor. Internet diagnoses aren’t always the best idea.

Lifting is obviously very hard on your body, and thus it craves more macro and micro nutrients. Have you tried supplementing with a B complex, or ZMAs? I’ve had a similar situation before, but by increasing my vegatable intake, alongside a better supplement stack, such as what I listed above, I’m no longer as tired. In fact I’ve never felt better.

Eat more. (It worked for me)

Are you hydrating properly?
Are you giving your CNS proper recovery?
Is your diet clean?
Have you been avoiding cardio while bulking?

1 Like

dude… try a ‘greens’ supplement. and drink more (water)…

you sound like you’re on ebol, but i’m assuming u’re not…

[quote]lifter85 wrote:
it seems since i started lifting seriously and gaining weight almost a year ago, i have become extremely tired all the time. sleeping less than 8 hours means i am definitely dozing off in class and for most of the rest of the day. sleeping for 8-10 hours means i have a hard time waking up and a hard time not wanting to go take a nap all day long.

[/quote]

This has been me for the last few years. Sleep 6 hours and I feel even more tired than when I went to bed. Sleep 8-10 and I feel too lazy to move, and need a nap a couple hours later. I’ve tried everything mentioned so far to combat it, plus supps like coq-10 and such, to no avail. If you find the secret, let me know!

dad and i went golfing today, and i could barely swing hard enough to hit down on the ball i was so tired. i was practically dragging my feet to get over to my ball from the golf cart.

thing that bothers me the most is i’m only 21 years old. i should be out and able to do any and everything i want without getting tired. instead all i can think of is how much i utterly want to be sleeping. how can this be a good thing for the future when i get older, as it’s not like i can imagine myself more energetic at age 40 than i am at 21, and the only step lower than where i am now is dead.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I had a similar problem for the last six months or so - getting tired at weird times of the day for no apparent reason.

Mind you I also had hydration problems and wasn’t seeming to gain as much as I used to. I put it down to lots of gym work and maybe screwing my diet up somewhere. I tried tweaking my diet in all sorts of ways but to no real effect.

I called in to my GP for a regular checkup and mentioned this and he did a blood test for glucose. Results came back a few days later and my doc called me to welcome me to the diabetic club.

He had said at my check up that it was highly unlikely to be diabetes because of my age / fitness level / low (ish) body fat but he checked anyway.

A month further on and I have my BG count under control and no longer get sleepy. Hydration is back to normal and I am getting much better workouts than I have in ages.

In no way am I trying to diagnose your problem here, just trying to emphasize that having a chat with your doctor and telling them all your symptoms no matter how seemingly insignificant can be of great benefit.

In my own case it probably saved a major coma (Ketonic Acid levels were sky high and increasing). Chances are that in your case it will be nothing so drastic, but it’s good to be sure.

Could be–

Overtraining or overreaching
Low t
Adrenal Fatigue
Thyroid issues
Blood sugar issues
Anemia
etc

Take some time off and see a doctor.

2 Likes

[quote]keaster wrote:
Could be–

Overtraining or overreaching
Low t
Adrenal Fatigue
Thyroid issues
Blood sugar issues
Anemia
etc

Take some time off and see a doctor.[/quote]

All of that would be much lower on the list…far beneath the more likely possibility that he simply isn’t eating enough to match what he is asking of his own body.

There is always the possibility of depression.

Defintly go see a Doctor. I haved the same thing for the last 4 years. I was diagnosed with Sleep aptma. Just got a bi-pap machine and still trying to get use to it. People the have this machine swear by it. They say over 50% of the population have this and do not know they have this. Snoring is not related to this.

just find some coke and give yourself an afternoon bump.

[quote]SOC wrote:
Defintly go see a Doctor. I haved the same thing for the last 4 years. I was diagnosed with Sleep aptma. Just got a bi-pap machine and still trying to get use to it. People the have this machine swear by it. They say over 50% of the population have this and do not know they have this. Snoring is not related to this. [/quote]

“Sleep apnea”. I personally am convinced that most cases are related either obesity or “stocky” individuals (like some linebackers) who have a lot of mass (fat and muscle) around their throat area.

Someone mentioning they are tired lately does not mean they have sleep apnea or even imply it.

I would agree however I am 5’8" 166 lbs and lean body mass. I work out quite extensively. Just trying to encourage to go see a doctor for a diagnoses.

Spend a few days eating way more than you eat normally.

You won’t get any fatter than a fatass spending a few days eating clean will get them lean.

I’m not saying pig out on pizza, chips and beer. But eat both the dark meat and white meat on one of the many rotisserie chickens you should put away.

ZMA has improved my sleep quality.

Like everyone else said;

Eat more
Sleep more
Drink more water

I was tired all of last semester, I’m in much better shape this semester. I’ve stopped drinking alcohol, mostly, I cleaned up my diet and ramped up my water a great deal.

Someone else said Greens+ suppliment, I feel better when I get mine regularly.