I'm Addicted to Crystal Light

The single serve packets are so freakin’ good. They are “zero carb/calorie” per serving and are sweetened with aspartame (which is concerning). Should I cut back for any sort of increased health risk or decreased fat loss? I drink about 8 nalgene bottles worth (1 packet each).

Check that…10 cal. per packet.

My dad got on my case for adding 3 packs of splenda (aspartme) to me coffee lol. He said it’s terrible for you, he is a doc so I didn’t argue.

I’m too lazy to look it up at the moment though to see if he was right lol.

i thought splenda was sucralose, not aspartame.

to the OP, i think the generic brands are often times zero calories if it matters to you.

Yes Splenda is sucralose…this is sweetened with aspartame (Crys. Light). The calories aren’t really what concern me as much as the hidden carbs and potentially harmful effects from aspartame. When is it too much?

I drink it everyday. A packet with my BCAAs periworkout, and lately, two packets in a gallon of water which I sip during the day (with more BCAAs -lol)

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I drink it everyday. A packet with my BCAAs periworkout, and lately, two packets in a gallon of water which I sip during the day (with more BCAAs -lol)

S
[/quote]

I don’t drink crystal light to often, but that sounds like an awesome idea. Thanks.

hear me out on this guys.

1.Make the crystal light.
2.Put said drink into popsicle molds.
3.Freeze
4.???
5.Profit!

Crystal Light Rasberry Green Tea FTW.

I’ve read a hundred other posts on the subject of artificial sweeteners and it seems most bodybuilders have depended on them when dieting down in one way or another. Water or AS Crystal light will still hydrate with minimal negative effects.

I’ve read the only appreciable research has been done with megadoses of sucralose and aspartame on lab rats has lead to uncontrollable hunger, but come on…we aren’t rats with the appetite of Oprah on a binge, we’re T-men!

We’re at far greater risks of cancer from just being outside in UV rays!

Oh well - You have to die somehow. I just hope they bury me with my shirt off so they can see my SICK ABZ.

Aspartame is an excito-toxin, which means it causes some neurons in your brain to fire constantly until the burn out and die. some people get a “rush” or excited feeling sort of like caffeine from this kind of thing.
There is a book, can’t remember the author, called Excito-toxins or neuro-toxins.

It is dangerous because it crosses the blood-brain barrier. Aspartame is broken down into phenlyalanine and formaldehyde (and other stuff). Excess phenlyalanine can make you sick. Some people don’t have an enzyme to process the aspartame and get sick
from it. There is a warning on the package about it called phenlyketonuria. Last item of concern is that it is broken down into formaldehyde by your body and then excreted. Isn’t formaldehyde what they use to embalm people with and the dead frogs in biology were pickled in?

You can google it or wiki-it and learn more.

I get headaches when I drink too much stuff with aspartame in it, so try to limit it, but don’t get between me and my sweet-n-low.

Studies conducted with all those sweeteners used huge doses in lab rats over a short time, to replicate what would happen to people in a long term situation. I think moderation is a key. One trainer I spoke to who was very into Paul Chek mentioned to me, that if I used even 1 packet of sweetnlow in coffee a day, that is 365 packets in a year. think what kind of burden that is putting on your body.

I still like it, just use less. try 1/2 a packet in the same amount of water. eventually you will get used to it. Or alternate. 1/2 packet, then plain water, then 1/2 packet, then plain water, etc.

Just 2 cents, hope it helps.

Check out this article, its geared towards splenda not aspartame but provides some good info:

From the article:

"relatively low amounts of Splenda (100mg/kg/day) may cause weight gain. And second, Splenda at moderate levels (300mg/kg/day and up) has adverse effects on your gut, affecting both levels of gut flora and proteins.

Why does this matter? Changes in gut bacteria can lead to problems with your immune system and ability to absorb nutrients."

Another interesting John B rasied at the end of the article was “good luck trying to find out how much sucralose is in your protein powder!”

I asked Chris Shugart in the V-Diet forum if this was a potential concern (considering you consume almost nothing but protein powder on the diet). Chris said it was not a concern as studies in rats showed only mega dosing (100’s of cans of pop/day) caused problems.

I love the shit also, I buy the ones that are sized to fill a pitcher, I like orange.

Wow this thread seems almost too serious for my planned “Beats being addicted to Crystal Meth” comment.

I dont think we have an equivalent over here in the UK to CL.

[quote]sidewalkdances wrote:
Wow this thread seems almost too serious for my planned “Beats being addicted to Crystal Meth” comment.

I dont think we have an equivalent over here in the UK to CL.[/quote]

LOL! Yeah…information overload. I’m going to stick with it in moderation and if I die, the doctors can study my corpse instead of effing rats.

[quote]esk221 wrote:
Crystal Light Rasberry Green Tea FTW.[/quote]

Fuck yes. I tear those up.

I buy the one pictured in the original post from Costco. I mix one little tub with about 66 ounces of cold, filtered water. There are times I drink it like that and other times I use it to top off 12 ounces of La Croix. I have been drinking it for years and have never experienced anything negative from it. However I do wish they used sucralose (not Splenda) instead.

Christopher