I'm a Slut for Gym Equipment

[quote]on edge wrote:
Qaash wrote:
on edge wrote:
This. Aint it cool? A freaking rolling Plate Holder!

Is that a custom job or did they manufacture them?

I’m pretty sure it’s custom. It looks like somebody made it in their garage or something. The guy didn’t know where it came from and there’s no brand name on it. It is high quality. With nearly 500 lbs of weight on it I was rolling it over cracks and bumps with no problem. The wheels are made to take it.

The rest of the stuff I’m not so happy with. The plates are rusty. The bar is REALLY rusty. The rack is ordinary (but quite serviceable) and the bench is clearly very old. I might have a hard time reselling these items.

By the way, the rack I already have is a custom rack. The guy I bought it from said he built it himself. It’s beautiful.[/quote]

Thanks for the info, like every one else, I’m really jealous right now. Now I’m also curious to see this rack you’re talking about…let’s see a picture :slight_smile:

[quote]Qaash wrote:
Now I’m also curious to see this rack you’re talking about…let’s see a picture :-)[/quote]

Here it is…

I especially like the bar holders. I don’t know if you will be able to see it in the picture but he used some thick, tough plastic to buffer between the metal and the bar. It’s really a nice feature.

I’m feeling better about these plates. I found some rust treatment in the basement. It seems to work pretty good. Here’s before and after. I’m going to do another one and spray it with some black Rustolium Paint to see if I like it treated better or painted better.

I’m not sure what to do about this bar. Has anyone ever restored a crappy old bar that is still straight?

I understand you can do some amazing things with rusty chrome in an oxalic acid bath. I’ll probably take this apart to see if I can clean up and lube the bearings and give the rest of it an oxalic acid bath. Unless of course someone here can give me better direction.

I’m thinking about starting an equipment restoration thread or at least adding this stuff onto the budget equipment thread.

[quote]on edge wrote:
Qaash wrote:
Now I’m also curious to see this rack you’re talking about…let’s see a picture :slight_smile:

Here it is…[/quote]

All custom? That is some nice work…wish I knew people around that could build racks…I’ve got so many designs in my head for equipment…in any case, thanks for the pic and enjoy your tree on wheels.