T Nation

I'm a Fat Piece of Sh*t

I played college football but now I am 43 out of shape and worried about my blood pressure.

I have a treadmill and some free weights.

Right now I have to start from the bottom.

what suggestions can I get?
What great health foods, homemade shakes?
Pills?
Protein?
Exercise routines?
How do I eat?
What snacks do you eat?

Now my first order is to lose weight so calories need to be taken into consideration.

Thanks, and do not worry about my feelings, I can take it.

My e mail is speardog71@yahoo.com if you have any attachments, or work outs you might think will be helpful.

Why not do just a general site search of articles and nutritional advice, asking strangers for all this info you are just going to get a jumbled mess of information… I can suggest a book that I read before that covers some basics well though… Micheal Matthews Bigger Leaner Stronger

Paleo diet and crossfit.

There’s a beginners’ forum here. Good place to start exploring.

For diet, I really enjoyed this no-nonsense article and found it easy to put in to practice.

Also, speaking as a guy who has let himself go for a few years as well, expect to be humbled by what you are capable of in the gym now compared to back when you used to train, and don’t let this make you lose motivation.

first thing i would do is ask yourself why and how did you turn from a football player to a fat out of shape piece of shit, and stay clear of that lifestyle… then do the proper training to return to being fit…not hard to figure out what to do, what to eat, and how to recover/rest. its up to you…

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
There’s a beginners’ forum here. Good place to start exploring.[/quote]

Yes, I did and like I said there is just so much information, thousands of posts, I though I could get something more specific.

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:
For diet, I really enjoyed this no-nonsense article and found it easy to put in to practice.

Also, speaking as a guy who has let himself go for a few years as well, expect to be humbled by what you are capable of in the gym now compared to back when you used to train, and don’t let this make you lose motivation.[/quote]

Thanks!!! and I am prepared to be humble.

[quote]speardog wrote:

Now my first order is to lose weight so calories need to be taken into consideration.

[/quote]

Loosing weight is a painful cycle. You typically loose muscle at the same time you loose fat, so your metabolism drops, and the second you eat normally again you put on even more weight than you had previously. So you diet again, loose even more muscle, your metabolism drops further, and you gain even more weight. Rinse, wash, repeat.

My suggestion is that you make gaining muscle mass your first priority. It will improve your quality of life more than simply loosing weight will. The increase in strength makes living life easier, and the increase in muscle mass will increase your metabolism. Once you reach a level of strength you feel happy with, then start dieting to loose fat.

Paleo and walkining to start with then add lifting, I’m 44 when started i was 340lbs now i’m 263lbs it take some time but it worked

some_dude; that is not always the case, in particular with beginners and the very overweight. He didn’t give his bodyweight, but trust me, a deconditioned 320 lb person can, for a decent amount of time, build muscle and drop fat–I know because I’ve done it. It won’t last forever, but if he’s really overweight and hasn’t been lifting, it can happen.

[quote]paulwhite959 wrote:
some_dude; that is not always the case, in particular with beginners and the very overweight. He didn’t give his bodyweight, but trust me, a deconditioned 320 lb person can, for a decent amount of time, build muscle and drop fat–I know because I’ve done it. It won’t last forever, but if he’s really overweight and hasn’t been lifting, it can happen.[/quote]

I agree. Body recomposition is one of the reasons I think he should make gaining muscle the priority. He’ll kill two birds with one stone (gain muscle while burning calories).

Don’t try to do everything that everyone is saying to you at once, I’d slowly bring in more and more things, or cut more things out. (First month-No pop, Second month-no bread etc etc) and keep adding