T Nation

I'm 6'8....Any Advice For Lifting?

I guess, but even still, I'll probably grow another inch or two... I'd rather not. Also, I've never been laid and find it very difficult to get chicks but that might be do to not asking and all.

what are you talking about???

What don't you understand? It is very much advantageous to have shorter levers when exerting power.

no its advantageous for strength not power.

your tall and what just go lift heavy adn hard and eat and sleep like anyone else.

My advice for you about lifting? Lift a basketball. Take it to the nearest court. Practice all day and try to play in the NBA. That's what I would do, if I was 18 and 6'8".

What I meant by power was actually in power exhibiting feats such as sprinting. To get the same amount of strides in as someone with shorter limbs, your limbs must move at a much higher velocity because their strokes are MUCH higher.

wouldn't it depend on the lift?

You're being a bit ridiculous, especially with your assertion that short people are faster...what are you? 15?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/low/athletics/get_involved/4253508.stm

Also, how tall is the average Strongman Competitor? I'll give you a hint, he isn't 5'4"

Well actually, I AM 15(almost 16 though...)
Just because the average sprinter happens to be tall, doesn't mean that its optimum. A longer lever HAS A LONGER STROKE.

Now, I believe that a longer lever does apply more force but I'm not sure, this might actually work against a longer lever as the weight is applied farther out... I'm very confused.

However, I do know for a fact though that a longer lever has to move further to get somewhere.

Carl Lewis- 6'2"
Michael Johnson- 6'1"
Ben Johnson- 6'0"
Donovan Bailey- 6'1"
Shawn Crawford- 5'11"
Tim Montgomery- 5'10"
John Capel- 6'0"
Asafa Powell- 6'3"
Ato Bolden- 6'0"

Most world-class sprinters are in the 5'10" to 6'2" range.

A longer lever can apply more force (think sitting close to a see-saw or far away), however it requires more torque to accelerate than a shorter lever (this is why cars have different gears... kind of).

A short lever is more advantagous the closer you go to the strength side of the continuum, while the longer lever is more advantageous as you get closer to the speed end. This is why most of the fastest pitchers in baseball are tall with long arms.

Nice post. Is there such a site as to learn about the physics of lifting? A book? I would be VERY interested in learning up or discussing the physics of force output, specifically lifting and sprinting and jumping etc.
VERY nice post man!

Your evidence against my post about average height of sprinters is that a longer lever HAS A LONGER STROKE? I appreciate that we learn thru questioning, but holding on to dogma such as that is pretty questionable in the face of empirical evidence.

I'm kind of at a loss here. What is there dogmatic about that statement. I don't see any physical property that would change that FACT. All things being equal, what would make a longer levered person sprint faster than a shorter person?

I would think it the other way around, the shorter person 'should' be able to sprint faster. I am not trying to challenge you, I just want to learn. I would love to hear that the longer levered person has the advantage but i just don't understand it. Perhaps a longer stride?

E-mail Eric Cressy he works with a lot of tall guys! He is also one of the best trainers period in my opinion.

I?m 6?10, so I really know what you are talking about.
The most important thing for me is to work on core stability, so do tons of core stuff.

Second comes flexibility work.
If you work on these two, start lifting heavy. But a strong lower back and leg flexibility are the most important things, especially if you play basketball.

I also highly recommend dorsiflection work to prevent knee problems.

Check this article out, I think it explains it better than I ever could. Charlie Francis also has material on the subject I believe, but I can't remember exactly what book it was in.

www.klac23.org.au/Training/Economy.htm

SpeedStrength,

A short guy has an advantage in acceleration, but a taller guy has an advantage in top speed. This is why oly weightlifters are typically shorter, but high jumpers are usually a bit on the tall side. Weightlifters have fantastic straight-up vertical leaps (which is more toards the strength), but the high-jumpers would destroy them in run-up verticals because they can produce more top speed.

Think of two poles, one that is 1ft. long and on that is 10ft. long. The one that is 1 foot long would be very easy to swing up to top speed, while the 10-foot long pole would be very difficult. However, at top speed, the tip of the 10ft pole would be going much faster than the tip of the 1ft pole. Make sense?

That's not really a great analogy but should help explain it a little bit.

Anyway, let's end this high-jack and get back to the real question... How badly is UConn going to wreck Duke in the NCAA tournament?

But that means that for very short sprints like 10yards or whatever, the shorter levered man would win? They accelerate faster, no?
Also, what about an analogy for strength?
Do they actually exert more force to a weight or can they lift more only because of their shorter stroke?
I would think a longer lever would exert MORE force but move itself through space at a higher velocity yet have to move much further.

Ach! Let's get some terms straight here. Force = Mass x acceleration. Thus a shorter lever exerts more force, because it accelerates faster.

I think what you mean to say is power, that is work done per unit time.