T Nation

Illegal?

My mom got fired today from her job of 28 years. She asked them why she was being fired but they wouldn’t give her an answer. Besides being just plain rude and unethical, is this illegal?

[quote]StevenF wrote:
My mom got fired today from her job of 28 years. She asked them why she was being fired but they wouldn’t give her an answer. Besides being just plain rude and unethical, is this illegal? [/quote]

Some states (WI is one) are ‘right to work’ states and you can be fired without cause. Certainly unions and other factors may supercede this, but without that protection, I don’t believe it to be illegal. We won’t discuss the ethics of it!

You can bet if she works for a company of any size that lawyers are on staff, and the company knows its rights.

Bummer

Even if it is a right to work state, if the company provides an employee handbook that does not say on it in big bold letters that it doesn’t constitute a contract, a lot of times you can sue and get your job back.

Courts will often treat the handbook as a contract, and as long as you haven’t violated it, you can’t be fired.

Better to move on with life though. Who wants to work where they aren’t wanted?