Illegal Levels of Caffeine

NCAA tests for “illegal” levels of caffeine with a urine test. An athlete tests positive at 15 micrograms per millileter. How long before a test would an athlete that drinks soda, coffee, orenergy drinks on a regular basis, not for performance enhancement, have to avoid these drinks to not test positive.

[quote]jroe854 wrote:
NCAA tests for “illegal” levels of caffeine with a urine test. An athlete tests positive at 15 micrograms per millileter. How long before a test would an athlete that drinks soda, coffee, orenergy drinks on a regular basis, not for performance enhancement, have to avoid these drinks to not test positive. [/quote]

Pretty soon there going to be testing for “illegal” levels of ATP.

When I was playing the trainers told us that if we were to drink a pot of coffee, right before we went to piss we still wouldn’t test positive. The reason that they tested for caffeine when I played was because it was easier to test for caffeine than ephedra (thats what I was told). I don’t know if that still holds true though

Are you sure the NCAA tests for this still? The reason I ask is WADA and the IOC do not anymore.

[quote]Smug wrote:
Are you sure the NCAA tests for this still? The reason I ask is WADA and the IOC do not anymore.[/quote]

And as was stated, the levels required to fail even when they did test were quite high. If you think of caffeine’s effects on performance as following an inverted J curve, the level required to fail was well into the performance detriment end of the curve.