T Nation

Illegal Football Training

I saw this movie a while ago “friday nitghts lights”
(A movie about college football in Texas)

When I was watching the extras in the DVD with the comments they said something about a system of traning for football that’s illegal.

…it’s when one guys stands inside this cirlce and the other teammates tackle him.

Why is that prohibited ?

(I’m from Italy,so don’t know much about the NFL)

Well, there’s really no point to it other than possibly(and most likely) injuring the person in the middle of the circle.

“Bull in the Ring”? We used to do that in high school a lot. But yeah, there’s no point to it other than injuring you. Our coaches used to say it’d “toughen us up,” which is complete b.s.

[quote]Horazio wrote:

When I was watching the extras in the DVD with the comments they said something about a system of traning for football that’s illegal.

…it’s when one guys stands inside this cirlce and the other teammates tackle him.

Why is that prohibited ?

(I’m from Italy,so don’t know much about the NFL)[/quote]

That sounds like “hazing”…which is also technically illegal…which hasn’t stopped every single fraternity (and some sororities) from continuing to do it to some degree.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Horazio wrote:

Why is that prohibited ?

(I’m from Italy,so don’t know much about the NFL)

That sounds like “hazing”…which is also technically illegal…which hasn’t stopped every single fraternity (and some sororities) from continuing to do it to some degree.[/quote]

Yeah, one “friend” of mine had to carry liquid waste between two trashcans using only his mouth to join some frat at Penn State.

Not hazing at all.

…Yes, that’s it :
“Bull in the ring DRILL”
I verified on Google.
It’s supposed to prepare you for the adrenaline of the match.

[quote]Joseph93 wrote:
“Bull in the Ring”? We used to do that in high school a lot. But yeah, there’s no point to it other than injuring you. Our coaches used to say it’d “toughen us up,” which is complete b.s. [/quote]

My coach called it bulls eye.
We would get in the form of a circle and tell a player to get into the middle. Then he would call out a players # and they would rush the person in the middle.

:slight_smile:

We did this alot early on in Pee Wee and Midget football, but never at the high school level. I think the coaches used it more to discourage those who were still afraid of contact.

As long as the hits are kept clean and legal, it shows the players that they can trust their pads to protect them in a game situation. From my experience, it made you feel comfortable knowing that you could take a good shot, and give one too, without being afraid of getting hurt.

I could definitely see the hazing perspective though, for those that don’t enjoy that contact. Also this sort of game can get out of control without a close eye watching.

I’ve done that drill. Actually it was kind of fun. Players on the side are about 5 yds. away. They don’t tackle you. You hit each other. Shoulder pad to shoulder pad. One hit.

You take on 5 or 6 in a row and then switch. For a LB it was a great drill. Staying low is a good idea.

Not illegal as far as I know.

Bull in the Ring, it is illagal and it’s not hazing, no more than Oklahomas. Its illegal-ness(?) is because the person behind you can blind-side you if your not quick enough or smart enough to see who was called. Lots of concusions too.

It definitely isn’t illegal in Texas.

Im pretty sure its illigal everywhere, but that doesnt stop anyone from doin it. Its a great drill

[quote]GetTheHIT wrote:
Im pretty sure its illigal everywhere, but that doesnt stop anyone from doin it. Its a great drill[/quote]

You really think the governing bodies of high school football (the UIL in Texas) in each and every state has made a rule that this drill is illegal? That’s absurd. It’s not illegal here, and I doubt there is really anywhere that has an actual rule on this one particular drill.

[quote]doogie wrote:
GetTheHIT wrote:
Im pretty sure its illigal everywhere, but that doesnt stop anyone from doin it. Its a great drill

You really think the governing bodies of high school football (the UIL in Texas) in each and every state has made a rule that this drill is illegal? That’s absurd. It’s not illegal here, and I doubt there is really anywhere that has an actual rule on this one particular drill.
[/quote]

If we keep talking about it, some soccer mom somewhere will make sure there is.

[quote]doogie wrote:
GetTheHIT wrote:

[/quote]

Ron Paul would veto such a rule.

[quote]GetTheHIT wrote:
Bull in the Ring, it is illagal and it’s not hazing, no more than Oklahomas. Its illegal-ness(?) is because the person behind you can blind-side you if your not quick enough or smart enough to see who was called. Lots of concusions too.[/quote]

Man I guess we really did it different in the East. The coach would walk around the outside of the circle and give the guy a smack on the helmet who was to go next. Just needed to keep an eye on him to see who was coming next.