'I'll Never Be a Weightlifter'

[quote]Marc_Cavalli wrote:
Low-Load High Volume Resistance Exercise Stimulates Muscle Protein Synthesis More Than High-Load Low Volume Resistance Exercise in Young Men

Conclusions/Significance
These results suggest that low-load high volume resistance exercise is more effective in inducing acute muscle anabolism than high-load low volume or work matched resistance exercise modes.

Received: June 13, 2010; Accepted: July 14, 2010; Published: August 9, 2010
[/quote]

I read all I can and believe it’s critical to stay current. This is not a new question. It has been asked since long before I started training in 86. My observation of others and intimate understanding of myself leaves me with no doubt about the fact that: Like Mary and her lamb… where strength goes, size is sure to follow!

[quote]Napster87 wrote:
Im sorry… despite his ridiculous massiveness Im having a hard time taking him seriously in that get up [/quote]

Ignorance is bliss.

The guys at my gym decided recently to do an impromptu deadlift competition.

The powerlifters were FULL of SWAGGER until a Bodybuilder, who usually trains the DL with 235-260 lbs for volume, wiped the floor with all of them by pulling, like 5 or 6+ plates.

Moral of the story: My gym could have stronger guys in it. LOL, no what I meant to say was: We’re all weight lifters in our own way.

[quote]Samir wrote:
The guys at my gym decided recently to do an impromptu deadlift competition.

The powerlifters were FULL of SWAGGER until a Bodybuilder, who usually trains the DL with 235-260 lbs for volume, wiped the floor with all of them by pulling, like 5+ plates.

Moral of the story: We’re all weight lifters in our own way. [/quote]
LOLZ

It really says something when guys like Kai and Arnold can deadlift 600+ lbs but choose to do working sets with a 1/3rd of that poundage. I agree with the MMC entirely. It is why the champs look the way they do and the bros you see swinging tugging and jerking weights around look much less impressive

See video → change whole training outlook

DONE

I dont think how you lift really matters much at the HIGHEST LEVEL. Some choose to be extremely precise and use lower weights. While others, like Branch Warren and Paul Dillet throw around weights in the ugliest manner possible and still managed to become fairly impressive looking.

For the less gifted individuals, MMC AND Progression (not just one or the other) is the way to go.

never thought “MMC= high volume” and " poor form= low volume"…
remember some old video of Dillet using the lat machine with poor form and Yates with good (this is just an exaggeration,don’t point out LOL)…yes Kai -as many- first got fucking strong then realized that MMC was the key for a better development,no doubts on his excursus (same for DY after his bicep tear during reverse grip bb row,from that he still used HIT but with slightly “lighter” loads and better form…)

the point ,very IMO, is that Kai (or Joe Smith) could become so BIG if he -from the gate- had used MMC plus PROGRESSION not just lifting weights.

unfortunnaly there is no response

Little Red Riding Hood is fucking huge!

he never actually says to use light weight… Simply not te be ego driven and lift weight with good form

You have to keep in mind that he’s also at the point where he probably doesn’t want to get any bigger.
You can argue whether or not his current method of lifting is optimal for growth, but as a competitive bodybuilder, the neurological connection to a muscle is extremely important because he has to stand on stage and be able to continually flex while under constant scrutiny.

TLDR; He’s not trying to get bigger. He wants to be good at posing.

I think a lot of people already said it, but Kai definitely didn’t always train that way…he built a pretty solid strength base first. I think the point he is just trying to make is if you want to body build mind muscle connection and controlled movements are important. The guy he was helping just had typical bench warrior form and mindset…despite being pretty big.

[quote]myself1992 wrote:
he never actually says to use light weight… Simply not te be ego driven and lift weight with good form[/quote]

i wrote " light(er)" because -as you know better than me- curling (for example) with a still/fixed elbows force you to use a “lighter” load compared to an “heavier” used with elbows moving forward,upper body oscillating and cheating…
doesn’t good form means using less weight than with a bad form ???

[quote]ElevenMag wrote:
It really says something when guys like Kai and Arnold can deadlift 600+ lbs but choose to do working sets with a 1/3rd of that poundage. I agree with the MMC entirely. It is why the champs look the way they do and the bros you see swinging tugging and jerking weights around look much less impressive [/quote]

Its been said before but maybe the message was lost.

What Kai Green is doing in February of 2012 is irrelevant to 99% of the gym population.

What Kai is doing TODAY is not 100% indicative of how he got to his current level of development.

Regardless, the message in that video is a good one. It’s valuable, but not the be all end all of bodybuilding technique. And there are certainly some movements that are better executed via the method in the video than others.

[quote]myself1992 wrote:
he never actually says to use light weight… Simply not te be ego driven and lift weight with good form[/quote]

exactly.

and ‘good’ is relative to the specific goal

If you will all notice he is speaking about lifts like bicep curls… I believe when one performs compound movements that the weights are significantly heavier… I will say and this is no joke… I train legs with more of this style training. Many days I can be found pre exhausting my quads (I life quads and hams seperatly) with a leg press and hack squat before I even get under a bar.

I do this to simply connect with my quads and get as much blood as possible into the muscle… Then i will front squat usually … I can front squat well over 350 lbs… But rarely to I even exceed 315… usually I will rep out 235 or 245 for several sets of ten and this only after I have completed a few hundred reps as mentioned previously.

Several years ago I changed a lot of my lifts to incorporate this training style. At first it was to try to stay injury free and then I realized that the more I read things from old school bodybuilders about connecting with the muscle and not worrying about the weight as much a funny thing happened… I started to gain weight again… There is a method to the madness. Just my opinion.

Its funny how every pro gets big while using huge poundage and shit but then they all seem to turn to this “use less weight get more out of it”

They wouldnt have gotten that big if they had started with that mentality, I have yet to see.

This is what I have been doing for the past 8-9 months, and I have had the best results I have ever had. I drop anywhere from 50 to 60% of the lbs if need be, and focused on form and feeling the muscle.

Don’t fool yourself, there are 3 things that matter here; genetics, drug use and progress.

If you progress on curls with less than stellar form with the 100’s, or if you progress on Kai’s sissy ultra-strict curls, you WILL get bigger arms with either one.

Just look at the Olympia contestants. You have guys who advocate high intensity, low intensity, high carb, low carb, super strict, sloppy, all whatever.

It’s all about consistency, dedication, progressive overload, genetics and drugs.

[quote]want2getlean wrote:
Don’t fool yourself, there are 3 things that matter here; genetics, drug use and progress.

If you progress on curls with less than stellar form with the 100’s, or if you progress on Kai’s sissy ultra-strict curls, you WILL get bigger arms with either one.

Just look at the Olympia contestants. You have guys who advocate high intensity, low intensity, high carb, low carb, super strict, sloppy, all whatever.

It’s all about consistency, dedication, progressive overload, genetics and drugs.[/quote]

did you just copy and paste the first and last line from somewhere? or did this come from all your experience?

anyways I think what he is saying is just very relative and should not be taken as just lift light, but give the muscle priority over weight moved