IIFYM in Pre-Contest Diets: Why don't

Complete bro theory here, but I would even argue that incorporating the occasional treat here and there during a prep will actually improve your look because you’re happier and hence cortisol is kept in check a little.

I had a cheat meal with my recent prep every week, including one at 1 week out.

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:
imo its just way harder to go iifym during the day vs being prepared with all your meals ready

[/quote]

This. [/quote]

True, but keep in mind that what is being presented is a false dichotomy.

The philosophy of IIFYM is geared primarily towards allowing greater flexibility in food choices by dispelling misconceptions about what constitutes “clean” and “dirty” foods. The convenience of being able to grab foods at a moment’s notice is an ancillary benefit of the approach, but the practice wasn’t necessarily designed to allow people to just kinda “wing it” day to day, though that may be what some choose to do.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
Complete bro theory here, but I would even argue that incorporating the occasional treat here and there during a prep will actually improve your look because you’re happier and hence cortisol is kept in check a little.

I had a cheat meal with my recent prep every week, including one at 1 week out. [/quote]

Not trying to nit pick but genuinely curious. Why would you consider those meals “cheat meals” if you follow IIFYM?? There really isn’t such a thing so long as it fits in your macros correct? Do you mean you went over your macros or just ate foods you usually wouldn’t eat?

[quote]anonym wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:
imo its just way harder to go iifym during the day vs being prepared with all your meals ready

[/quote]

This. [/quote]

True, but keep in mind that what is being presented is a false dichotomy.

The philosophy of IIFYM is geared primarily towards allowing greater flexibility in food choices by dispelling misconceptions about what constitutes “clean” and “dirty” foods. The convenience of being able to grab foods at a moment’s notice is an ancillary benefit of the approach, but the practice wasn’t necessarily designed to allow people to just kinda “wing it” day to day, though that may be what some choose to do.[/quote]

Totally agree. I’m a fairly IIFYM guy. I still eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch 95% of the time. Get off work eat some sort of protein concoction (proats/sludge w/e I want) then lift. Remaining cals in one big meal of whatever I want. So I’m not randomly eating shit on the fly, but I still don’t plan to a t.

[quote]Mtag666 wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

I had a cheat meal with my recent prep every week, including one at 1 week out. [/quote]

Not trying to nit pick but genuinely curious. Why would you consider those meals “cheat meals” if you follow IIFYM?? There really isn’t such a thing so long as it fits in your macros correct? Do you mean you went over your macros or just ate foods you usually wouldn’t eat?[/quote]

Means a meal where macros dont matter. IIFYM is still restricting, especially on low cals, carbs, or even fats.

[quote]Mtag666 wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

Not trying to nit pick but genuinely curious. Why would you consider those meals “cheat meals” if you follow IIFYM?? There really isn’t such a thing so long as it fits in your macros correct? Do you mean you went over your macros or just ate foods you usually wouldn’t eat?[/quote]

Nit pick away! I suppose that was a confusing juxtaposition. I consider a cheat meal a cheat…not part of IIFYM. I think my point with that was that I got to eat LOTS of “crap” once a week and I believe it actually paid off with my look because I was genuinely happier for it.

i cant discuss this topic with anyone else lol.

every time IIFYM is mentioned you get a bunch of fucking retards jumping in and saying shit like good luck getting ripped eating nothing but ice-cream. to which i reply have you tried getting in 240g of protein while remaining under your total caloric limit of the day eating nothing but ice-cream??? thats right it aint going to fucken happen so shut up. you cannot follow an all junk food diet even on IIFYM, it just doesnt work.

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:
i cant discuss this topic with anyone else lol.

every time IIFYM is mentioned you get a bunch of fucking retards jumping in and saying shit like good luck getting ripped eating nothing but ice-cream. to which i reply have you tried getting in 240g of protein while remaining under your total caloric limit of the day eating nothing but ice-cream??? thats right it aint going to fucken happen so shut up. you cannot follow an all junk food diet even on IIFYM, it just doesnt work.[/quote]

exactly! if you’re hitting minimum protein numbers and keeping fat at a reasonable level, it won’t be possible to eat a very high percentage of your carbs from “unclean” sources

I never understood the controversy of IIFYM. It works! The vast majority of people I know that eat this way say it works for them and it works for me. I think the problem stems from sheeple refusing to expand their horizons and actually try the approach. How do you know it doesn’t work if you’ve never tried it?

I think a lot of the reluctance to the approach is due to the notion that a “diet” (whether you take that to mean cutting, or just your eating plan) has to be comprised of tasteless boring foods. Certainly I’ve watched over the years as friends of mine stepped onstage after eating nothing but chicken and broccoli, not being able to go out with their friends, and basically taking all the fun parts out of their lives in an effort to do well in a contest.

While I can admit to it not always being easy when prepping for a show, especially on some days when after being up at 5am, working all day, hitting the gym, and then having friends want to go out and take in a movie. I don’t, however, think it’s ever necessary to completely shut yourself off from the rest of your life.

Similarly I don’t think it’s necessary to have to say goodbye to all of your favorite foods. You simply have to be accountable for them. Sometimes it’s easier than others depending on your preferences. Of course you must also take into account your performance. There’s room for some crap if you’re smart about it, but if gym work lags due to too much “crap in the tank”, you need to step back and reassess what you’re doing.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I think a lot of the reluctance to the approach is due to the notion that a “diet” (whether you take that to mean cutting, or just your eating plan) has to be comprised of tasteless boring foods. Certainly I’ve watched over the years as friends of mine stepped onstage after eating nothing but chicken and broccoli, not being able to go out with their friends, and basically taking all the fun parts out of their lives in an effort to do well in a contest.

While I can admit to it not always being easy when prepping for a show, especially on some days when after being up at 5am, working all day, hitting the gym, and then having friends want to go out and take in a movie. I don’t, however, think it’s ever necessary to completely shut yourself off from the rest of your life.

Similarly I don’t think it’s necessary to have to say goodbye to all of your favorite foods. You simply have to be accountable for them. Sometimes it’s easier than others depending on your preferences. Of course you must also take into account your performance. There’s room for some crap if you’re smart about it, but if gym work lags due to too much “crap in the tank”, you need to step back and reassess what you’re doing.

S[/quote]

I think the problem is that some people forget IIFYM is meant to allow diet flexibility, not an excuse to eat potato chips and poptarts as their only carb and fat sources. When you start getting closer to the finish line and your macros are pretty low, it is hard to justify 2 pop tarts when you are only on 200g of carbs a day sometimes. hitting 37% of your daily carbs in a low volume treat with no fiber just means further restriction for the rest of the day.

I use IIFYM as a tool, to let me move things around during the day to get a mental break or fit my social/work schedule when need be. There is too much extremism on both sides. The only eat ‘clean’ ,whatever the fuck that means, folk and the IIFYM crowd driking protein shakes and eating junk food all day. Following one way or the other doenst make you BETTER than someone else. And in my opinion, eat tons of junk and processed foods is really just abusing the concept of IIFYM and making things hards to stay in your macros, rather than what it is intended to explain, and that is the ability to be flexible.

it works very well for Dorian Yates and I

otherwise definitely #eatclean #juicekale #detox #yoga

IIFYM is probably 95% of a diet. The other 5% can be nutrient timing, meal frequency, etc.

Why IIFYM work is because it limits your food choices (to an extent). What I meant by that is that the fat is usually the limiting factor. I have to select my food properly to account for that limit. So instead of going out there and eating chips and pop tarts (limited fat intake), I eat fruits, bread, pasta, and rice as my main source of carbs (fortunately I like them). Can someone go out there and eat candies for their carb intake? Sure. But sooner or later it might not be enough to fill them up as they hit their daily limit and will be forced to select food that provides more satiety.

Pretty sure IFBB pros follow IIFYM. It’s a part of every “diet”. I really dislike using the word…