T Nation

IIFYM discussion

against

for




wut??

thoughts? lets try and keep it mature guys, im interested in this kind of stuff.

Article on elite fts on it. I cant link it i know but if you want to read it.

Does well describing the myths of it like ppl only eat crap on it and what not

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
Article on elite fts on it. I cant link it i know but if you want to read it.

Does well describing the myths of it like ppl only eat crap on it and what not[/quote]

by mike samuels? found it, thanks.

the way i see it is, it may fit your MACROS, but what about your MICROS. like look at a sweet potato vs a bowl of ice cream. same calories, same carbs, different micronutrients.

sweet potato (200g)
180 calories
41g carbs
7g fibre
4g protein
0g fat

38,433IU vitamin a
39.2mg vitamin c
4.6mg vitamin e
12mcg folate
26.2mg choline
69.2mg betaine
950mg potassium
1mg maganese

theres a ton more micronutrients but they arent very significant, but you get my point.

vanilla ice cream (100g)
207 calories
11g fat
24g carbs
1g fibre
4g protein

421IU vitamin a
0.6mg vitamin c
0.3mg vitamin e
5mcg folate
26mg choline
128mg calcium
199mg potassium
0mg maganese
15.4mcg fluoride

not nearly as much micronutrients. but thats just how i see it, health wise.

well this is a moot point for me because I personally enjoying eating for health and having good blood markers, as well as looking good. mmm so yeah

edit: another thing is, if you are going to eat some shitty stuff regularly in your diet (i.e. every day), you absolutely HAVE to count your macros/calories/whatever to keep stuff in check. thing is I fucking hate doing that, whether it’s carbs/fat/protein. so I just stick to ‘natural/healthy’ foods and it works out well.

Layne Norton video, doesn’t sound like his reasoning agrees with IIFYM… “sure, you can eat 1-2 meals here and there.” Well, isn’t the idea of IIFYM, that it doesn’t matter what you eat or how often as long as IIFYM… you can’t throw an extra caveat in there of needing fiber, as fiber rich foods will tend to give you more “clean” sources and crowd out room for “junk”

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Layne Norton video, doesn’t sound like his reasoning agrees with IIFYM… “sure, you can eat 1-2 meals here and there.” Well, isn’t the idea of IIFYM, that it doesn’t matter what you eat or how often as long as IIFYM… you can’t throw an extra caveat in there of needing fiber, as fiber rich foods will tend to give you more “clean” sources and crowd out room for “junk”[/quote]

HOLY FUCK…no for the 100th time. This is NOT what the fuck IIFYM is about. Did you even watch the Ian McCarthy video?

He explicitly states that you need to get in your fiber DAILY and your micros DAILY. And that the vast majority of your food sources are still whole foods. All it means is…not stressing over food choices 100000% percent of the time and realizing it’s OKAY if you some “dirty” foods WITHIN your macro needs as long as you are attaining your fiber and micros AS WELL DAILY.

I don’t understand where the disconnect lies for you. I have explained this concept over and over and over…it’s just getting frustrating that you completely REFUSE to realize it is NOT a free for all.

AGAIN: IIFYM IS NOT A FREE FOR ALL. Anyone who tells you it is or is doing it that way is doing it WRONG.

riddle me this then… I think the whole term IIFYM is retarded then, because it’s not just IIFYM…

Personally, I agree with Layne and Facko, although I don’t track my fiber, for the most part my food sources are pretty good. I also don’t count trace macros, just because I feel like it is easier to keep track of that way. So basically my version of IIFYM is hit your macros, then throw in a decent amount of non-starchy veggies.

Well i went for 3 +month eating what ever the fuck i pleased and a ton of carbs I am talking 600+ every day. Go look at my log at the last pics i posted. That will show you how you dont always have to count and the IIFYM can work. I prefer rice and oatmeal but every night i would have some ice cream, or bread, gilled cheese PBJ, kids cereal. It can be done lol at ppl thinking it cant. Do whatever you are going to enjoy most. I enjoy eating what i want and kicking ass in the gym. So thats what i do

[quote]facko wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Layne Norton video, doesn’t sound like his reasoning agrees with IIFYM… “sure, you can eat 1-2 meals here and there.” Well, isn’t the idea of IIFYM, that it doesn’t matter what you eat or how often as long as IIFYM… you can’t throw an extra caveat in there of needing fiber, as fiber rich foods will tend to give you more “clean” sources and crowd out room for “junk”[/quote]

HOLY FUCK…no for the 100th time. This is NOT what the fuck IIFYM is about. Did you even watch the Ian McCarthy video?

He explicitly states that you need to get in your fiber DAILY and your micros DAILY. And that the vast majority of your food sources are still whole foods. All it means is…not stressing over food choices 100000% percent of the time and realizing it’s OKAY if you some “dirty” foods WITHIN your macro needs as long as you are attaining your fiber and micros AS WELL DAILY.

I don’t understand where the disconnect lies for you. I have explained this concept over and over and over…it’s just getting frustrating that you completely REFUSE to realize it is NOT a free for all.

AGAIN: IIFYM IS NOT A FREE FOR ALL. Anyone who tells you it is or is doing it that way is doing it WRONG.[/quote]

THIS^^

It still amazes me how some people don’t understand it. I don’t think there is anything left to discuss, facko explains it here pretty fucking well. I guess some people will never get it or refuse to.

IIFYM is nothing new. M&F had a series of article about this very topic in the late eighties. If I recall, they replaced a lifters rice and potatoes with ice cream for twelve weeks. Calling it IIFYM is a bit mis-leading. Once you have the protein, fats, fiber, and pre/post training worked out, there really aren’t many discretionary calories left, and they are all carbohydrates.

It would be like saying after you have finished squat, SLDL, leg press, and flat hamstring curls, you are free to select any other leg work that matches your current volume/intensity targets.

so, I guess a more accurate acronym would be better, and HolyMac’s ideal diet IIFY MMF :wink:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
riddle me this then… I think the whole term IIFYM is retarded then, because it’s not just IIFYM…[/quote]

How? IIFYM means anything that does that. Not just crap… It’s not foods that aren’t healthy that fit your macros’… it’s If It Fits Your Macros. Healthy foods can be included

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
riddle me this then… I think the whole term IIFYM is retarded then, because it’s not just IIFYM…[/quote]

How? IIFYM means anything that does that. Not just crap… It’s not foods that aren’t healthy that fit your macros’… it’s If It Fits Your Macros. Healthy foods can be included [/quote]

Exactly…People don’t realize this.

Those of you who are counting calories/macros and ONLY eat “clean” foods…are stilling playing If It Fits Your Macros…you still have to make sure that you are consuming within your numbers…

[quote]facko wrote:

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
riddle me this then… I think the whole term IIFYM is retarded then, because it’s not just IIFYM…[/quote]

How? IIFYM means anything that does that. Not just crap… It’s not foods that aren’t healthy that fit your macros’… it’s If It Fits Your Macros. Healthy foods can be included [/quote]

Exactly…People don’t realize this.

Those of you who are counting calories/macros and ONLY eat “clean” foods…are stilling playing If It Fits Your Macros…you still have to make sure that you are consuming within your numbers…

[/quote]

so if im on the anabolic diet (high fat, high protein, low carbs) and eat a hot dog or pepperoni instead of chicken or beef, because it fits my macros and tastes better. holy shit im on IIFYM! lol…

[quote]wannabebig250 wrote:

[quote]facko wrote:

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
riddle me this then… I think the whole term IIFYM is retarded then, because it’s not just IIFYM…[/quote]
How? IIFYM means anything that does that. Not just crap… It’s not foods that aren’t healthy that fit your macros’… it’s If It Fits Your Macros. Healthy foods can be included [/quote]

Exactly…People don’t realize this.

Those of you who are counting calories/macros and ONLY eat “clean” foods…are stilling playing If It Fits Your Macros…you still have to make sure that you are consuming within your numbers…
[/quote]
so if im on the anabolic diet (high fat, high protein, low carbs) and eat a hot dog or pepperoni instead of chicken or beef, because it fits my macros and tastes better. holy shit im on IIFYM! lol…[/quote]
If your narrow view of the Anabolic Diet is only chicken and beef

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]wannabebig250 wrote:

[quote]facko wrote:

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
riddle me this then… I think the whole term IIFYM is retarded then, because it’s not just IIFYM…[/quote]
How? IIFYM means anything that does that. Not just crap… It’s not foods that aren’t healthy that fit your macros’… it’s If It Fits Your Macros. Healthy foods can be included [/quote]

Exactly…People don’t realize this.

Those of you who are counting calories/macros and ONLY eat “clean” foods…are stilling playing If It Fits Your Macros…you still have to make sure that you are consuming within your numbers…
[/quote]
so if im on the anabolic diet (high fat, high protein, low carbs) and eat a hot dog or pepperoni instead of chicken or beef, because it fits my macros and tastes better. holy shit im on IIFYM! lol…[/quote]
If your narrow view of the Anabolic Diet is only chicken and beef[/quote]

i try to keep all my meat choices unprocessed as much as possible. fresh beef, chicken, pork, eggs, etc. havent really had processed meats like hot dogs, pepperoni, beef jerky, fast food burger patties even though they can fit my macros.

I follow the IIFYM approach, and I keep it clean when cutting for a fight. However, in the ‘offseason’, I allow myself to eat more liberally but I keep my macros in check so I don’t gain weight. I have noticed two things when I do this:

  1. I dont gain weight since I’m staying within my caloric/macro needs
  2. My performance/recovery isn’t as good as when I eat clean, but i do get a nice psychological break.

I’ve had days I eat 4 to 5 meals a day, and days I eat 1. As long as I hit my macros I’m good. Oh yea, and I’m a former fat ass, and by fatass, I mean 200+ lbs, 5’6", and very little muscle. So please keep your “i used to be fat” excuse to yourself (not particularly directing this towards anyone, just want to make sure it’s not brought up)