T Nation

II of yoghurt drinks

I have a question regarding yoghurt drinks that contain bacillus acidophilus culture. For example, low fat drink that contains 0.5 g fat, approx 4 g lactose and 4 g protein per 100 g of product… would it be wise to incorporate it into meal plan during dieting, taking calories into consideration? I came across some studies stating that lactose inhibits fat breakdown. What is the II of such yoghurt-like drinks? Could I use it in protein+carb combos during dieting and bulking, or should such “liquid” dairy products be avoided altogether? I know about lactose issues and I am not lactose intolerant.

Yogurt has a high II. I wouldn’t use it
during dieting. But it would prob be ok
for a P+C meal when bulking.

I’d strongly recommend this stuff called
“kefir” sold at health food stores rather than any type of yogurt drink. It’s similar but has a much better macronutrient profile, having less carbs than protein.

Ext, Bill, thanks for your replies. Please, take a look at macronutrient profile I posted: 0.5 g fat, 4 g protein and carbs per 100 g of product. I am not talking here about some kind of sugar-filled-E-additive-gelatine-heaven yoghurt, this is pretty natural stuff. Yes, I know about kefir… you can find everything about it on respective .com site. :slight_smile: Did you know that kefir by definition contains ethanol that is synthetized during the production process? Anyway, what is the general opinion about low fat but unsweetened dairy products - skip them or use them during dieting provided the calories are in check? Later…