IFBB Pro Status

Note: In no way am I saying i will become an IFBB Pro bodybuilder, I was just interested.

I read this about becoming a pro bb in the IFBB:
United States citizens must compete in an NPC sanctioned contest to become an IFBB professional because the NPC is the national affiliate to the IFBB in the United States. If you compete in another federation, and receive any form of prize, then you can be ineligible to compete in the NPC, and thus the IFBB.

Which made me think.

How does one go from being the average bodybuilding competitor to IFBB pro?
-What federations do you have to compete in?
-Do you really have to be a citizen of the US?
-How does an Australian do this, or anyone else for that matter?

OZ, has an IFBB Australia, but if one was to compete in a different federation and win, say in a Natural comp first, are they not allowed to compete with the IFBB??

Lots of drugs, strong work ethic and 1 in a million genetics.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
Lots of drugs, strong work ethic and 1 in a million genetics. [/quote]

its 2pm you shouldnt be drunk yet. read the thread

While this may all very well be true, it really didn’t answer any of the actual questions the OP had.

US citizens compete in the NPC…there are certain shows that give pro cards throughout the yr…you have to qualify in a smaller show before you can compete in the pro card shows tho…

outside of the US, you need to win your national contest…

you could also compete in the arnold amateur which is kind of like a world championships(except there are no US competitors)…roelly winklaar and essa obaid won their pro cards there…

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

its 2pm you shouldnt be drunk yet. read the thread [/quote]

Oops, forgot to read.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

Oops, forgot to read (waiting for prof X to accuse me of pot smoking or something)[/quote]

I don’t know, but it looks like you caught HolyMac’s Black Measle Face Thingy disease. You two been ‘smoochie’ during a MMF?

I think you answered your own question.

Not all IFBB pros are citizens I’m sure. NPC probably has affiliates in other countries. Just like the IFBB does.

What federations? NPC. Looks like Australia is a federation.

These questions would probably be better fielded by an IFBB official though. I’m sure you can email one from your area.

I’ve always thought the restrictions are pretty crap. I’m not sure about the details but I’ve heard that Lee Priest got banned for a while for competeing in another fed.

If you are not under contract with the IFBB I think you should be able to work for/compete in any federation without it influencing your future chances of becomiming an IFBB pro.
I know that the IFBB being the big dog means that we get to see all the top pros compete against each other but it also means that the pros dont really have a strong voice as far as deciding on things like prize money and judging criteria. Sometimes competition in a market is a good thing.

In Australia there has been related contravery in rugby because sometimes players go to a different code or organisation for better money and some people think that once they go they shouldn’t be able to come back. In Australia however there is the Freedom of Trade Act which prevents this from happening.

Thats just my opinion and I’m not very clear on the exact policies and stuff so if I’m mistaken I apologise.

PS sorry OP I really didn’t help at all with your question lol

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
I don’t know, but it looks like you caught HolyMac’s Black Measle Face Thingy disease. You two been ‘smoochie’ during a MMF?[/quote]

you jelly?

[quote]mch60360 wrote:
I think you answered your own question.

Not all IFBB pros are citizens I’m sure. NPC probably has affiliates in other countries. Just like the IFBB does.

What federations? NPC. Looks like Australia is a federation.

These questions would probably be better fielded by an IFBB official though. I’m sure you can email one from your area.

www.ifbb.com [/quote]

Yeah most likely. I did see australia as a federation. Here we have an IFBB Australia. My mate competed recently in an ifbb comp, in addition to a nabba comp.

Surely it shouldnt matter that you win in one fed and then change over. Its fucking weird. Imagine some guy that was awesome who wasnt allowed to compete in the ifbb because he competed in another comp. But most likely if he was huge he would go in the ifbb cos everyone knows its the biggest comp there is. Hm.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

Oi, bonez. You know a lot about this shit dont ya. Mind chiming in?

Do you know of competitors not being able to compete in the IFBB because of competing in another comp??
Is the NPC the only way for competitors to become an IFBB Pro, or does the NPC have affiliates?? Do you know what they are?

http://www.ifbb.com/amarules/IFBBRulebook_2006-2007Edition.pdf

[quote]Doyle wrote:
I’ve always thought the restrictions are pretty crap. I’m not sure about the details but I’ve heard that Lee Priest got banned for a while for competeing in another fed.

If you are not under contract with the IFBB I think you should be able to work for/compete in any federation without it influencing your future chances of becomiming an IFBB pro.
I know that the IFBB being the big dog means that we get to see all the top pros compete against each other but it also means that the pros dont really have a strong voice as far as deciding on things like prize money and judging criteria. Sometimes competition in a market is a good thing.

In Australia there has been related contravery in rugby because sometimes players go to a different code or organisation for better money and some people think that once they go they shouldn’t be able to come back. In Australia however there is the Freedom of Trade Act which prevents this from happening.

Thats just my opinion and I’m not very clear on the exact policies and stuff so if I’m mistaken I apologise.

PS sorry OP I really didn’t help at all with your question lol[/quote]

That’s always been the argument behind the “Weider OWNS bodybuilding” comments that have always circulated (well, not Joe himself anymore, but the IFBB). The athletes say that as they have no guaranteed money if they don’t place well, that they should be able to pursue any avenue available to them. The IFBB’s stance is that because the athletes are afforded the popularity they have due to the coverage in the contests and magazines, that to compete elsewhere is disrespectful, and should be punished. There are some natural federations that have similar positions (in the WNBF, once you compete in a pro show, if you compete in another federation’s show, if there’s money on the line, you are essentially banned).

Really kind of ruins the whole sport if you ask me. While I do understand the need to support the organization, if there were some threat of a better run organization taking athletes away from IFBB shows, everyone would have to step up there game. I’m sure the older guys on here remember Vince McMahon’s short lived WBF back in the 90’s.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I’m sure the older guys on here remember Vince McMahon’s short lived WBF back in the 90’s.

S[/quote]

This is exactly what I was going to post.

lol

Those guys were “bought” away from Weider. Big contracts, and big advance checks.

I guess most were at the point where BBing for them wasn’t about titles as much as making a living without having to work a day job. Who could blame them?

[quote]RobRaynerBB wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

Oi, bonez. You know a lot about this shit dont ya. Mind chiming in?

Do you know of competitors not being able to compete in the IFBB because of competing in another comp??
Is the NPC the only way for competitors to become an IFBB Pro, or does the NPC have affiliates?? Do you know what they are?[/quote]

I didnt know there was a different set of rules for internation guys until you brought it up here. Update the thread when ou find out

Just to chime in on the IFBB ban issue:

Although that policy is rubbish, I can’t wholly rail against the IFBB. The real fault lies at the feet of the competitors, who are the talent. For continuing to compete by the very rules that only allow 1-3 dudes to actually eat off a bodybuilding career, they basically deserve the cage the IFBB virtually places them in.

Eh…

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

That’s always been the argument behind the “Weider OWNS bodybuilding” comments that have always circulated (well, not Joe himself anymore, but the IFBB). The athletes say that as they have no guaranteed money if they don’t place well, that they should be able to pursue any avenue available to them. The IFBB’s stance is that because the athletes are afforded the popularity they have due to the coverage in the contests and magazines, that to compete elsewhere is disrespectful, and should be punished. There are some natural federations that have similar positions (in the WNBF, once you compete in a pro show, if you compete in another federation’s show, if there’s money on the line, you are essentially banned).

Really kind of ruins the whole sport if you ask me. While I do understand the need to support the organization, if there were some threat of a better run organization taking athletes away from IFBB shows, everyone would have to step up there game. I’m sure the older guys on here remember Vince McMahon’s short lived WBF back in the 90’s.

S[/quote]
Well it is interesting to hear the reason for the policies and I could certainly understand that point of view more if they were doing a better job at promoting the sport (I know weider and the IFBB have done more for the sport than anyone but its certainy not reaching the main stream, and these guys arent getting the dollars they deserve).

At least the punishment should be less, like instead of a ban they should just not feature those bodybuilders in their magazines and promotions. But why would they change the policy if they have a monopoly on this and the athletes are not organised enough to make demands and force changes.