IFBB Pro Amit Sapir - Q&A

Hey Amit, since some people started to ask questions about Olympic lifts, I would like to ask some questions too.
1.) when was the last time you did them ?
2.) do you think you could match your numbers in them now compared to your Olympic lifting days ? (With some training )
3.) I have heard that you competed at the olympics, however I can’t find any informations about it. When was that ?

Here are some post workout, chest, posing photos. I’m currently at the start of a dieting phase and my body fat is still quite high. I’m about 5"11 and 230lbs right now, turned 18 a couple months ago with about 2.5 years training under my belt. Any feedback on these would be great! Thanks

1. haha today actually! It has been a long time to tell the truth (when I’m prepping for a meet I don’t mess around with them because I don’t want to risk injury) - it’s probably been 2 years since I did any real Olympic lifting. Today I tried to snatch and my shoulders are barking haha…I did enjoy it though and I’ll probably keep them in my warm ups until I’m training for a meet again. They’re great for the nervous system and forces your body to be mobile and flexible.
  2. Well the first note here is that I currently weigh 60-80 lbs more than I did when I was lifting seriously! I have a lot of injuries now that would prevent me from lifting Olympic lifts seriously (I have a torn nerve in my shoulder and have had bilateral bicep surgeries). Theoretically if I am fully recovered and set this goal, it’s possible…it would take a lot of time thats for sure!
  3. I was a part of the 2004 Olympic team in Athens and injured my rotator cuff during final prep so was unable to put actual numbers onto the board.

You look pretty good for 18!
You need to work on lower body mass for sure (quads, hams, low back) to be competitive (competitive in open, not junior). You need to work on mass in general, but lower body is a focus.
I’d like to see improvement in your upper body proportions to create a better illusion of shoulder to waist ratios (more mass in shoulders, lats, and triceps). Quad sweep will also help this illusion.
You seem like a talented and hardworking kid - honestly I would take 2 years and put mass overall (you have a good base - just need more of it everywhere to be as competitive as youd like in body building). Keep your body fat as-is not higher - you’re at the top of what I would call acceptable for off season (around 12%).
Does that help or can I answer anything else.

Thanks so much! The feedback is very useful.

I’ve always had a hard time stimulating the outer part of my quad (the sweep) even compared to the other areas in my quad. Do you have any tips that could possibly help me out with this? Open to any ideas.

Thanks again.

Close stance hack squat - toes pointed out, constant tension on the muscle - no lockout, 5 second negative for half of the high rep set (10-20).
Leg press with varying leg/foot positions - low on the board
Yoke bar squat and paused yoke bar squats with tempo manipulation - again no lockouts - constant tension on the muscles.

Could I substitute something like a smith machine squat for the hack, as my current gym doesn’t have a hack squat?

That would work for sure.