If Your Life Changed Overnight...

MsM, he is lucky in one sense that he’s got caring people like you helping him out right now. I bet he’ll get that left leg moving.

I wonder-

If it’s possible for crazy random shit to happen to us and totally screw up life, is there a flip-side? Can wonders and miracles come right out of the blue, smack you in the face and yell ‘I’m HERE!’

[quote]Otep wrote:
I wonder-

If it’s possible for crazy random shit to happen to us and totally screw up life, is there a flip-side? Can wonders and miracles come right out of the blue, smack you in the face and yell ‘I’m HERE!’[/quote]

It happens. And when it does - it’s great.

I have a close friend who the same exact thing happened to about 10 years ago when he was in college, and hes absolutely fine now. He passed out on his bed for 12 hours with a VCR (?) underneath one leg. He was in a wheelchair then crutches. Within a year he was almost 100%. Details are hazy at this point, but Im positive he was told he would never walk again, only because I hear that part of the story often… His one leg was severely atrophied and I also recall hearing things about kidneys.

I am also positive that he didnt do a damn thing to rehab himself, except make his sister and mother wait on him hand and foot for a few months. He would smoke weed and say things like “fuck that doctor”. True story. If you have any other questions I’ll ask my boy.

[quote]Frank Castle wrote:
I have a close friend who the same exact thing happened to about 10 years ago when he was in college, and hes absolutely fine now. He passed out on his bed for 12 hours with a VCR (?) underneath one leg. He was in a wheelchair then crutches. Within a year he was almost 100%. Details are hazy at this point, but Im positive he was told he would never walk again, only because I hear that part of the story often… His one leg was severely atrophied and I also recall hearing things about kidneys.
I am also positive that he didnt do a damn thing to rehab himself, except make his sister and mother wait on him hand and foot for a few months. He would smoke weed and say things like “fuck that doctor”. True story. If you have any other questions I’ll ask my boy.
[/quote]

Sounds promising.

[quote]rsg wrote:
Frank Castle wrote:

Sounds promising.[/quote]

Does it ever, rsg.

Yes please, Frank, I’d love to hear about someone overcoming a severe case. I would really appreciate that. Your friend is a very lucky man and I’m glad he’s made a full recovery.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
Otep wrote:
I wonder-

If it’s possible for crazy random shit to happen to us and totally screw up life, is there a flip-side? Can wonders and miracles come right out of the blue, smack you in the face and yell ‘I’m HERE!’

It happens. And when it does - it’s great.[/quote]

It sure does!

Thank you, Nate.

After not receiving any updates yet, I began to do my own research in an effort to understand this condition better. Much to my surprise, it is not just compression of an area that can cause rhabdomyolysis. In fact, anything which causes ATP depletion can contribute. Muscle exertion is one of the most common causes. From what I’ve seen, it is mostly an occurrence with marathon runners but I could see this being a possibility for a population of weight lifters on this site too (the powerlifters come to mind). Based on how many people here haven’t heard of that, I’ll say that I think those risks are minimal but just so you know, it’s a possibility.

Other causes:

Medications and Toxic Substances That Increase the Risk of Rhabdomyolysis

Direct myotoxicity
HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors, especially in combination with fibrate-derived lipid-lowering agents such as niacin (nicotinic acid; Nicolar)
Cyclosporine (Sandimmune)
Itraconazole (Sporanox)
Erythromycin
Colchicine
Zidovudine (Retrovir)
Corticosteroids

Indirect muscle damage
Alcohol
Central nervous system depressants
Cocaine
Amphetamine
Ecstasy (MDMA)
LSD
Neuromuscular blocking agents

Traumatic, Heat-Related, Ischemic and Exertional Causes of Rhabdomyolysis

Traumatic causes
Lightning strike
Immobilization
Extensive third-degree burn
Crush injury

Heat-related causes
Heatstroke
Malignant hyperthermia
Neuroleptic malignant syndrome

Ischemic causes
Ischemic limb injury

Exertional causes
Marathon running
Physical overexertion in untrained athletes
Pathologic muscle exertion
Heat dissipation impairment
Physical overexertion in persons with sickle cell disease

Infectious, Inflammatory, Metabolic and Endocrinologic Causes of Rhabdomyolysis

Infectious causes
Viruses: influenza virus B, parainfluenza virus, adenovirus, coxsackievirus, echovirus, herpes simplex virus, cytomegalovirus, Epstein-Barr virus, human immunodeficiency virus
Bacteria: Streptococcus, Salmonella, Legionella, Staphyloccus and Listeria species

Inflammatory causes
Polymyositis
Dermatomyositis
Capillary leak syndrome
Snake bites (mostly in South America, Asia and Africa)

Metabolic and endocrinologic causes
Electrolyte imbalances: hyponatremia, hypernatremia, hypokalemia, hypophosphatemia, hypocalcemia
Hypothyroidism
Thyrotoxicosis
Diabetic ketoacidosis
Nonketotic hyperosmolar syndrome

Genetic Causes of Rhabdomyolysis

Lipid metabolism
Carnitine palmitoyltransferase deficiency
Carnitine deficiency
Short-chain and long-chain acyl-coenzyme A dehydrogenase deficiency
Carbohydrate metabolism
Myophosphorylase deficiency (McArdle’s disease)
Phosphorylase kinase deficiency
Phosphofructokinase deficiency
Phosphoglycerate mutase deficiency
Lactate dehydrogenase deficiency (characteristic elevation of creatine kinase level with normal lactate dehydrogenase level)
Purine metabolism
Myoadenylate deaminase deficiency
Duchenne’s muscular dystrophy

Clinical Features of Rhabdomyolysis

Local features
Muscle pain
Tenderness
Swelling
Bruising
Weakness

Systemic features
Tea-colored urine
Fever
Malaise
Nausea
Emesis
Confusion
Agitation
Delirium
Anuria

Complications of Rhabdomyolysis

Early complications
Hyperkalemia
Hypocalcemia
Hepatic inflammation
Cardiac arrhythmia
Cardiac arrest

Late complications
Acute renal failure
Disseminated intravascular coagulation

Early or late complication
Compartment syndrome

[quote]Otep wrote:
I wonder-

[/quote]

Oh, yeah. That happens all the time. It’s happened to me just recently, in fact.

I hope he had fun the night before.

Live fast, die young.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Live fast, die young.[/quote]

What a piece of shit thing to say.

You have no class.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Live fast, die young.

You have no class.[/quote]

What? Like the OP came to the internet to get comforted by a bunch of people she doesn’t know?

Do I need to repeat everything everyone else has already said because it is somehow more classy?

I think what I wrote is very appropriate. There is no purpose to life except what people give themselves – and there is no POINT in living unless we have fun in the process.

I sincerely hope the OP’s baby-daddy had fun with his legs before he lost the use of them. Life is short.

Don’t waste it.

I think what I wrote is very appropriate. There is no purpose to life except what people give themselves – and there is no POINT in living unless we have fun in the process.
[/quote]

Even if your fun involves stomping all over the feelings of someone in distress, with an added little superfluous jab at her character, to boot.

I agree. You are a fucking prick.

[quote]Cortes wrote:
Even if your fun involves stomping all over the feelings of someone in distress, with an added little superfluous jab at her character, to boot.

I agree. You are a fucking prick.[/quote]

Do you actually believe the OP is getting his or her feelings hurt by the likes of me?

I said nothing hurtful.

Live fast, die young.[/quote]

Fucking dumb ass!!!

Why don’t you think before you write.

LIFTICVSMAXIMVS= Latin for Fucking dumb ass.

Rockscar wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Live fast, die young.

You have no class.

What? Like the OP came to the internet to get comforted by a bunch of people she doesn’t know?

Do I need to repeat everything everyone else has already said because it is somehow more classy?

I sincerely hope the OP’s baby-daddy had fun with his legs before he lost the use of them. Life is short.

Don’t waste it.[/quote]

Before this whole topic is derailed, I did not come here for anyone’s sympathy or anyone’s comfort. I’ve been through worse, I’m a strong woman and I assure you, I’ll make it through this too.

I began this discussion of a condition that I had never heard of before as I thought that people should be made aware of it and perhaps make someone think twice about what they do ahead of time. Rhabdomyolysis can also occur with athletes which we have on this forum; I thought they could benefit from knowing the symptoms and risks involved.

I don’t drink and I don’t preach to people that do. I just hope that this sparks some thought into some of the choices that we make in our lives.

Your comments were really beyond inappropriate. I don’t care about my feelings and I don’t care about yours - I care about my 11 year old child whose relationship with his father has been changed forever, through no fault of his own.

There are times when joking or giving your two cents is appropriate and this isn’t one of them. We are talking about a child here.

[quote]print wrote:
Fucking dumb ass!!!

Why don’t you think before you write.

LIFTICVSMAXIMVS= Latin for Fucking dumb ass.[/quote]

ouch, I better go rethink my actions.

What is funny to me is that I wasn’t even trolling for these responses.

I rule.

Cortes wrote:

I agree. You are a fucking prick.

Do you actually believe the OP is getting his or her feelings hurt by the likes of me?

I said nothing hurtful.[/quote]

You know even I think the whole Internet thing is quite silly at times, but your comment to someone who has always been positive and friendly and now in distress crossed the line. You are attempting to convey how above it and transcended you are, but you really don’t come across that way at all.

D

[quote]MsM wrote:
Your comments were really beyond inappropriate. I don’t care about my feelings and I don’t care about yours - I care about my 11 year old child whose relationship with his father has been changed forever, through no fault of his own.
[/quote]
You may have had a certain intention with posting this story…my interpretation is my own.

I would never presume to tell people how to live but I think maybe you should quit wasting your time online responding to strangers and go spend it with your son instead. Don’t waste any more of your precious life on me…because I don’t give a rip.

One last question: do you mourn at all for the man who lost the use of his legs or just for your son who still has a father…?

[quote]MsM wrote:
Rhabdomyolysis can also occur with athletes which we have on this forum; I thought they could benefit from knowing the symptoms and risks involved.

[/quote]

I remember hearing a good bit about this a while back. Crossfit had some shirts and stuff made up, sort of as bragging rights for their leader. Some kind of “Dr. Rhabdo” crap because a few people had put themselves in the hospital doing some of his exercise perscriptions.

That was around the time that T.C. had called them a bunch of poodle walking soccer moms.

They showed him!

Rockscar wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Live fast, die young.

You have no class.

Don’t waste it.[/quote]

This type of response is completely uncalled for.
Personal attacks like this do nothing except reveal the true character (or lack thereof) of the attacker.

What you wrote is far from appropriate. It is hurtful and insensitive.