T Nation

If Your Life Changed Overnight...

My son’s father is in critical but stable condition in the hospital right now. After a night out with his friends and a few too many drinks, he decided that it was time to go home and sleep it off. The sofa seemed like a good place so that’s where he slept with his legs hanging over the arm of the couch. When he awoke the next morning, he couldn’t stand, had no balance and was extremely sick. His friends rushed him to the emergency room.

Due to the pressure placed upon his calves, the blood supply had been cut off for the entire night. There was no circulation there and it caused a toxic state which shut both of his kidney’s down. The doctors were ready to start him on dialysis when his kidneys improved slightly so that has been postponed for the time being. As his mother relayed to me, his entire face and body were swollen, feet and legs 2-3x’s their normal size. The prognosis: his left leg (with months of therapy) may possibly partially recover, The right leg, he will most likely never be able to use again as the muscle has died. He will spend the rest of his life in a wheel chair. This is provided his kidneys don’t shut down again.

My son’s dad is 33, turned all of the ladies heads and had a decent job as an electrician. He played sports his whole life, almost being recruited for a pro hockey team. Now because of one night out with his friends, his life will never be the same again. He will never play hockey or tennis or football with his son again.

Just a reminder to those with families (all of us) how quickly and innocently something tragic like this can happen and how nobody’s life around you will ever be the same again.

Life can change in an instant.

On a bright sunny day in mid August 1988 my brother broke his neck and severed his spinal cord diving into a pool. His life and everybodys around him changed in an instant.

Hang in there. You may be amazed at how much hope and strength can be inspired by tragedy.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Life can change in an instant.

On a bright sunny day in mid August 1988 my brother broke his neck and severed his spinal cord diving into a pool. His life and everybodys around him changed in an instant.

Hang in there. You may be amazed at how much hope and strength can be inspired by tragedy.
[/quote]

There are several people right here on this site, who have gone through a physical life-changing tragedy, and have served as inspiration to me and many others.

4est is one of them.

You never know when the shit is gonna come down.
You live each day as best you can.
And carry an umbrella.

I wish you the best.

I read this and was extremely SHOCKED, to say the least. I’ve passed out more times than i can even count and I don’t know how many times I’ve slept on my arm, had my arm hanging off my bed, etc, but I’ve never heard of something that severe.

Best of luck to him, and you.

I never heard of this before and I hope things will change, but my thoughts are with you.

Wow! Like Gates said, I’ve passed out many times and slept in weird positions, but I’ve never heard of something like this happening. You just never know…

Good luck to him and I hope you’re holding up well.

That is a scary prospect. Waking up one morning like that.

Good luck to him, you and your son.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
I never heard of this before and I hope things will change, but my thoughts are with you.[/quote]

The condition is called rhabdomyolysis and it is actually pretty common in trauma victims. Unfortunately, his case appears to be quite severe because not only he had no blood supply to his leg muscles for hours but he drank alcohol, directly and indirectly (dehydration, electrolyte imbalances) toxic to the muscle tissue.

I’m really sorry to hear that, I wish him speedy recovery!

And as far as the swelling goes, that’s normal and is secondary to the huge amount of IV fluids (sometimes 2-3 gallons/day!) he received to protect his kidneys. It will go away in 1-2 weeks.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
That is a scary prospect. Waking up one morning like that.

Good luck to him, you and your son.[/quote]

Seconded. A reminder to us all to enjoy everything we have. Best of luck to you and yours, OP.

Best of luck to you and your son Susan.

Your ex is an ex for a reason but that doesn’t mean that there is no feeling of love there.

Take care.

Hey.

You already know how I feel about this. I’m really sorry to hear that this is what has finally resulted. I had hoped to hear better news.

I hope that your son is taking this okay. And I don’t know what kind of guy his father is, but I do hope that he hangs in there and doesn’t give up hope at recovering as much mobility and health as possible. There are such things as miracles, but they take a lot of proactive work and sincere faith in order to occur.

You hang in there, too.

I’m so sorry about this, MsM. What a nightmare. You’ll all be in my thoughts.

Thank you to all of you and thank you catone for telling me what the condition is called. That is exactly what it is but I didn’t know the name of it.

This really is a family crisis unlike none I’ve ever known. I have heard of many freak accidents in my time but this one is far from fathoming to me that I thought maybe most of you hadn’t been aware that this could happen either. Who hasn’t had a couple of drinks and fallen asleep in an awkward position before? It wouldn’t sit right in my conscience to not make people aware that this a very dire and real possibility and it can happen to anyone.

I’ll update this as I find out what is happening if you’re interested. I just wanted to put this out there so that, God forbid, if anyone you know ever is in this predicament, you’ll recognize the symptoms and know that it is a matter of life or death and do something about it.

You see it particularly in traumatic crush injuries and burns…basically a rush of potassium/acids/crap from dead/dying tissue that overloads the kidneys.

He must have been really really drunk because the nerve receptors in the body usually have you moving around a bit as you sleep to relieve pressure. I’m also surprised he didn’t throw a clot while we was at it.

To the OP: I hope your friend makes it through okay and hopefully he won’t be wheelchair bound with some therapy.

I see a lot of negative life changes and depending on the cause I respond differently. If it’s something out of the blue like this it will make you realize that things that are SO important to you now really aren’t that important in the grand scheme of things.

So very sorry!

and yes, thank you for sharing this happening. There is no way I would have thought that something as simple as falling asleep (pass out really I suppose) with legs over the arm of the sofa would result in such tragedy.

I would think it would be easier for your mind to deal with if it had been a car accident although of course, nothing about any of this would ever be easy.

so very sorry

How frail we are.

Best wishes to you and those you love.

Sheesh, thats crazy. Gl to him man.

Srry to hear this MsM, hope everything works out and best luck.

Wow, this is horrible. I would never know how to react to this.

And I thought me almost dying was bad, but, at least I lived without any complications.

[quote]medevac wrote:
You see it particularly in traumatic crush injuries and burns…basically a rush of potassium/acids/crap from dead/dying tissue that overloads the kidneys.

He must have been really really drunk because the nerve receptors in the body usually have you moving around a bit as you sleep to relieve pressure. I’m also surprised he didn’t throw a clot while we was at it.

To the OP: I hope your friend makes it through okay and hopefully he won’t be wheelchair bound with some therapy.

I see a lot of negative life changes and depending on the cause I respond differently. If it’s something out of the blue like this it will make you realize that things that are SO important to you now really aren’t that important in the grand scheme of things.

[/quote]

I suspect that you are correct with the excessive alcohol. I can’t really say because I wasn’t there but it wouldn’t come as a shock, put it that way.

The Doctor’s have already said that the right leg is dead and there is nothing they can do for it. The left leg, with intensive therapy may regain some mobility. Here’s hoping for a miracle.

medevac, do you have idea what the future holds for someone that has suffered acute kidney failure? I have been reading up on the condition this evening and it appears as if it can be a ongoing issue.

Times like this sure do help you put your life and what’s really important into perspective.

Thank you once again all for all of your thoughts and concern.