If You Were Starting a Supp Company

This questions is for those guys and gals that keep up to speed with the various companies and products in the performance nutrition/supplement realm.

If you were starting your own sports performance nutrition company tomorrow, based on the products currently in the market and the latest breakthroughs in research in this arena, what you consider to be core/necessary products in the line?

I’ll tell you one thing, my company wouldn’t be called “swole nutrition” or “badass” in order to be taken seriously. (yes those are real products) I don’t work in the supplement industry, I just used to work for GNC for a long time in Chicago. The crap we used to sell was ridiculous. The cookie diet?? I watched those slowly expire month after month.

The only supplements that are necessary, and that will ever be necessary are the ones that have been used for years. Multivitamin, Fishoil (high quality ones), Protein, BCAA’s, creatine and glutamine. There is no need to try to put scientific “tweaks” to things that are sure to be the next supplement breakthrough. (silk aminos is a good example) It is a creative way to sell kool aid to people who think that they are going to gain 20lbs of muscle in three days.

Sure preworkouts are fun, until you burn out your CNS and have blood flow problems your in your early twenties and you have a hard time getting it up. I saw this countless times. This is a result of the new trend that started around 2007 with the highly stimulated pre workouts. People didn’t cycle them, or would build up a tolerance and use way too much. I probably would look like a hippocrate though because preworkouts are a lot of fun and I do take them once in a while, but it is definitely not a necessity.

Also people have such a loyal brand following when it comes to companies, each supplement has to be broken down as an individual, not whether or not cytosport makes it or if bj penn uses it. People don’t want to hear abuot what has the best quality ingredients in it, or doesn’t have a proprietery blend, they want to get what their buddy used when he benched 200 for the first time, or my favorite, their trainer told them to get it. (sorry I strayed from the question, this seemed like the appropriate place to vent.)

Like I said, the core supplements are Multivitamin, Fishoil (high quality ones), Protein, BCAA’s, creatine and glutamine. This is all my opinion, I hope I don’t offend anyone, except the companies that profit off of people’s lack of knowledge.

[quote]storey420 wrote:
This questions is for those guys and gals that keep up to speed with the various companies and products in the performance nutrition/supplement realm.

If you were starting your own sports performance nutrition company tomorrow, based on the products currently in the market and the latest breakthroughs in research in this arena, what you consider to be core/necessary products in the line?[/quote]

I’d lace my preworkout with caffeine and some meth. People will gooo crazy overr it.

[quote]mwiersma wrote:
I’ll tell you one thing, my company wouldn’t be called “swole nutrition” or “badass” in order to be taken seriously. (yes those are real products) I don’t work in the supplement industry, I just used to work for GNC for a long time in Chicago. The crap we used to sell was ridiculous. The cookie diet?? I watched those slowly expire month after month.

The only supplements that are necessary, and that will ever be necessary are the ones that have been used for years. Multivitamin, Fishoil (high quality ones), Protein, BCAA’s, creatine and glutamine. There is no need to try to put scientific “tweaks” to things that are sure to be the next supplement breakthrough. (silk aminos is a good example) It is a creative way to sell kool aid to people who think that they are going to gain 20lbs of muscle in three days.

Sure preworkouts are fun, until you burn out your CNS and have blood flow problems your in your early twenties and you have a hard time getting it up. I saw this countless times. This is a result of the new trend that started around 2007 with the highly stimulated pre workouts. People didn’t cycle them, or would build up a tolerance and use way too much. I probably would look like a hippocrate though because preworkouts are a lot of fun and I do take them once in a while, but it is definitely not a necessity.

Also people have such a loyal brand following when it comes to companies, each supplement has to be broken down as an individual, not whether or not cytosport makes it or if bj penn uses it. People don’t want to hear abuot what has the best quality ingredients in it, or doesn’t have a proprietery blend, they want to get what their buddy used when he benched 200 for the first time, or my favorite, their trainer told them to get it. (sorry I strayed from the question, this seemed like the appropriate place to vent.)

Like I said, the core supplements are Multivitamin, Fishoil (high quality ones), Protein, BCAA’s, creatine and glutamine. This is all my opinion, I hope I don’t offend anyone, except the companies that profit off of people’s lack of knowledge.[/quote]

Thank you for the detailed response, I couldn’t agree more. I have worked in several areas of this industry both in manufacturing and distribution of common bodybuilding supps and believe me I agree there is a ton of bullshit and empty promises and hype. I agree too that the names of the companies and products are lame as hell and it astounds me people buy into it but hey we were all 18 once.

I agree that you don’t need much more than the solid basics, solid lifting, consistency, etc. I do feel like there are some compounds worth taking a look at but it’s hard because to replicate the effects in studies you price yourself out of the market in a lot of cases. Too much bro science and bro marketing in this industry for sure.

If I were going to start a supplement company, I think these would be my definite products:

Probiotics
Omega-3 oil
Protein powder
Superfood greens supplement
Vitamin D

Some maybes that I would include are:

Digestive enzymes
Vitamin C (probably a whole foods based supplement)
Creatine
BCAAs

I would mainly focus on high quality nutrition, and I would not pay attention to the latest science “breakthrough” on how to get huge and/or skinny within seven days or whatever.

[quote]storey420 wrote:

[quote]mwiersma wrote:

Like I said, the core supplements are Multivitamin, Fishoil (high quality ones), Protein, BCAA’s, creatine and glutamine. This is all my opinion, I hope I don’t offend anyone, except the companies that profit off of people’s lack of knowledge.[/quote]

Thank you for the detailed response, I couldn’t agree more. I have worked in several areas of this industry both in manufacturing and distribution of common bodybuilding supps and believe me I agree there is a ton of bullshit and empty promises and hype. I agree too that the names of the companies and products are lame as hell and it astounds me people buy into it but hey we were all 18 once.

I agree that you don’t need much more than the solid basics, solid lifting, consistency, etc. I do feel like there are some compounds worth taking a look at but it’s hard because to replicate the effects in studies you price yourself out of the market in a lot of cases. Too much bro science and bro marketing in this industry for sure.[/quote]

agreed my man. The main thing that gets me is these companies that put out the exact same products month after month claiming that they are breaking new grounds. The stuff that works is the stuff thats tried and true

Have you tried the new hydroxycut?

If i was running a company I would put something very addictive into my pre-workouts. Obviously not hard drugs but something stronger then caffeine to get them coming back for more. Purely from a business standpoint.

I would just pay some Huge ass body builders to endorse it