If You Went Back to 150lbs...?

After ballooning up to a chunky 205, I cut down to a wispy 170…if I found myself at that point, I would make sure I joined a fucking gym over the summer, I would do a beginner’s 5x5 program, and I would eat. I’m attempting to do this vicariously through my brother–I wish I could force feed the kid.

I would buy “Blood and Guts” by Dorian Yates and read it, then “do it”.

I bought my copy in 1993 but I was already 225-230 by then.

I would look at what I was doing and ask myself Why was I doing that, instead of just doing it. If that makes sense.

But even better, I would get the balls to ask the 3 biggest, strongest guys at my gym the very question this thread asks…

Eat big.
Lift big.
Sleep big.

That being said, I don’t think I’ve been 150 lbs since roughly fourth grade.

Eat lots and lots of food. Lift heavy as possible and always try to put more weight on the bar.

Find a group of lifters who are where I want to be and train with them.

I would have learned to cook earlier.

[quote]Ramo wrote:

1. I would write down strength numbers for 3 months out, 6 months out, a year out etc., and train to hit them.

2. As far as programming, I would do a classic powerlifting routine, i.e., each of the lifts once a week and maybe an upper body assistance day. I would keep volume relatively low and just make sure I was lifting more weight each week.

3. I would be patient and trust that what I was doing was working instead of looking for advanced training solutions.

4. I would take a week or so off after an 8 week or 12 week training cycle, instead of consistently training myself into the ground and getting sick (which is what I did for years).

5. I would not attempt the ABCDE diet.

6. I would eat lots of meat, lots of vegetables, lots of fish oil and olive oil. I would mix protein shakes in heavy cream. I would rely on fat, not carbs, to get my calories up.

7. I would do moderate cardio and keep track of my waist measurement along with bodyweight increases to keep body composition under control while gaining weight. This would obviate the need to ever ‘cut’.

8. I would make it a priority to have pristine technique in the powerlifts. I would practice power breathing and work the hell out of my midsection.[/quote]

Good post, Ramo!

Man, I remember the ABCDE diet - thought I had discovered a gold mine. All I did was discover how to get fat, fast.

Well I haven’t weighed 150 lbs since elementary school, so prob just same thing I did then which was play various kid games

I started at 125 and I’m closing in a 180. I started about a third of the way though my frosh year (now a sophmore). I basically smith benched, and curled everyday. I would have done ripps from the beginning, then 5x5, then the training I do now. I ate like a madman when I was trying to gain weight the first time. I don’t regret the 3 granola bars and 3 containers of yogurt that was my 7:30 meal. That shit made me stronger.

I didn’t eat as much as planned today so I’m sucking down an ice cream and whey chocolate milkshake. And it tastes fucking awesome.

[quote]shizen wrote:
Well I haven’t weighed 150 lbs since elementary school, so prob just same thing I did then which was play various kid games[/quote]

Maybe I should of included another weight range for guys who are over 6 foot :stuck_out_tongue:

How about things I wouldn’t do?

-Not restrict a macro nutrient in some half assed attempt to hold onto an arbitrary bodyfat percentage

-Pick a program with fancy exercises to fully isolate muscles that you don’t even know about.

-Analyze your diet to a T to make sure that everyday you get X amount of carbs,fat,protein.

-Be afraid to eat out and have a good time once in awhile.

people who weigh 170lbs should not be replying to this thread.

I would have paid more attention to how real bodybuilders train or how SIZE COACHES suggested to train, not how STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING coaches suggested that BODYBUILDERS train!

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
people who weigh 170lbs should not be replying to this thread.[/quote]

Yeah, but what if they’re only 4’-7" tall? (like Lee Preist)

Bricknyce… LOVE IT!

For myself, I think I’d be VERY selective of my reading material back when my brain was still like a sponge. Bricknyce knows what I mean.

I was 150 pounds 4 years ago, and now I am at 200. I made about every mistake in the books. Since I was a fat guy who used a starvation diet to get down to 150 (previously was a fat 190), I was deathly afraid of eating over 2500 calories. So that would be my first error. I should have ate around 1000 more calories mainly consisting of complex carbohydrates like whole wheat bread and oats.

Secondly, I should have not ran 2 miles a day trying to get abs because it drained my energy for lifting and just kept my body in starvation mode.

Thirdly, I shouldn’t have flirted with total body workouts and stuck to my previous five day split.

Mainly, I shouldn’t have been a little bitch and realized the bigger picture. If I had, I would probably be 220 instead of 205.

Live and Learn

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
people who weigh 170lbs should not be replying to this thread.[/quote]

I’m assuming you’re talking to me. I gained about 55 pounds in a little over a year, without becoming a fat ass. I must have done something right.

Oh yes, Derek, I do! Refer to my previous ramblings of frustration in the past! :slight_smile:

LiveFromThe781 seems to have taken on the role as to setting limits on to who may post where on this forum. I weigh 220# at 5’10". Do I qualify? People who attend this site may post wherever they want to. When did you become the moderator of the boards?

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
Oh yes, Derek, I do! Refer to my previous ramblings of frustration in the past! :slight_smile:

LiveFromThe781 seems to have taken on the role as to setting limits on to who may post where on this forum. I weigh 220# at 5’10". Do I qualify? People who attend this site may post wherever they want to. When did you become the moderator of the boards? [/quote]

when he got his mohawk.

i was 150 in 6th grade does that count?

I reached my lightest at 180. Scrawny at best. I would of not be so scared of eating big. After losing the weight I was scared of eating alot of calories even if they were clean.