T Nation

If You Went Back to 150lbs...?

This is a message mostly to the big guys out there:

If you woke up one day and was back at 150lbs (with a training age of about a year) and your goal was to get as muscular as possible, what would you do in terms of diet/training?

What would your training age be at 150? Because mine was about a year 8 months.

I would still work full body 2 to 3 times a week, varying between fast programs and slow HIT programs. I would eat more than I used to, probably 3.5k kcal/day with complex carbs, lean proteins, healthy fats, and as many fruits and veggies that i could possibly eat (i loves me some apples). i’d also drink a lot more tea than i used to, i drink green and black tea now for cortisol reduction along with the many other health benefits.

[quote]Zero_Z wrote:
What would your training age be at 150? Because mine was about a year 8 months.

I would still work full body 2 to 3 times a week, varying between fast programs and slow HIT programs. I would eat more than I used to, probably 3.5k kcal/day with complex carbs, lean proteins, healthy fats, and as many fruits and veggies that i could possibly eat (i loves me some apples). i’d also drink a lot more tea than i used to, i drink green and black tea now for cortisol reduction along with the many other health benefits.[/quote]

Just editted in the training age, good idea.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:

If you woke up one day and was back at 150lbs (with a training age of about a year) and your goal was to get as muscular as possible, what would you do in terms of diet/training?

[/quote]

The same thing I did when I weighed 150lbs…pound down as much food as possible and lift hard and heavy in the gym using a split routine I found on a supplement box.

It was simple, it worked, and TBT was not an acronym anyone gave a shit about at the time.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Goodfellow wrote:

The same thing I did when I weighed 150lbs…pound down as much food as possible and lift hard and heavy in the gym using a split routine I found on a supplement box.

It was simple, it worked, and TBT was not an acronym anyone gave a shit about at the time.[/quote]

Ditto.

Good thread. I find myself in this position today. However I never was a “big guy”.

I was 180 at 5’9" in my prime and had been training for 2 years. Due to a health issue, I woke up at 129lbs and now am back at 150lbs which was pretty easy to reach.

It is pretty depressing to lose all the muscle you worked on so hard (and more!) but it comes back fast which is cool.

So heres what I “am” doing in terms of diet:

• eat as many fruits/veggies as i want
  • protein with every meal
  • eating 5 meals per day (I am working on eating 6)
  • eat alot of fish, salmon and white fish
  • stay away from artificial sweeteners and refined sugars like sucrose, fructose, high fructose corn syrup etc.
  • stay away from manufactured foods like frozen dinners, lunch meats, canned goods, etc.
  • I don’t “salt” my foods
  • drink alot of milk
  • again, eat ALOT

In terms of training:

• split routine (3 days a week)
  • cardio on seperate days
  • deep squats
  1. I would write down strength numbers for 3 months out, 6 months out, a year out etc., and train to hit them.

2. As far as programming, I would do a classic powerlifting routine, i.e., each of the lifts once a week and maybe an upper body assistance day. I would keep volume relatively low and just make sure I was lifting more weight each week.

3. I would be patient and trust that what I was doing was working instead of looking for advanced training solutions.

4. I would take a week or so off after an 8 week or 12 week training cycle, instead of consistently training myself into the ground and getting sick (which is what I did for years).

5. I would not attempt the ABCDE diet.

6. I would eat lots of meat, lots of vegetables, lots of fish oil and olive oil. I would mix protein shakes in heavy cream. I would rely on fat, not carbs, to get my calories up.

7. I would do moderate cardio and keep track of my waist measurement along with bodyweight increases to keep body composition under control while gaining weight. This would obviate the need to ever ‘cut’.

8. I would make it a priority to have pristine technique in the powerlifts. I would practice power breathing and work the hell out of my midsection.

EAT A LOT OF FOOD/LIFT HEAVY STUFF/SLEEP/REPEAT…i like this…it works…regardless of what fancy routine you have…or what special diet. This is my cure-all for 150lbers. lol

Gerdy

Huh. When I was first at 150 I had already gained 30 pounds of muscle, so nothing different. I was gaining and eating fairly clean but not obsessively. So, maybe eat more. My weights continued to go up. The only thing more I would say is be grateful of youth and take advantage of it.

Its funny, but 150 is treated as a standard couch potato weight. But some people start higher, some lower. I understand the need for a ballpark figure, so I am not debating it. Just a comment.

At the beginning stages, it does not matter so much what you do, but how you do it.

If it were me, I would do basically the same thing I did before. I didn’t know much about lifting, but I knew I needed to work my whole body, and if I worked one muscle I worked its antagonist. I benched, I did rows, and I squated.

There wasn’t always rhyme or reason to my training, but I did make sure that in some way the intensity increased every week, usually by increasing weight or reps. The point is, it didn’t really matter what I did, so long as I used common sense in my lift selection. I went in 3-4 times a week and busted my butt. I came home and ate 4 clean meals a day and stuffed myself at each sitting. That is really all it takes. Sure, if I could go back I would introduce DL’s and chin-ups and dips earlier, and I would have paid a lot more attention to my squat form, but in the end these are just minor details because these exercises wouldn’t have had any effect on my work ethic.

We can argue about nutrition and training all day. I prefer an upper/lower split and clean eating, especially in the early stages. I know X continues to argue for a body part split and probably dirtier eating than I would. In the end, it doesn’t really matter. The one thing we would completely agree on is the biggest factor in the whole thing is your work ethic.

• Not waste time on my abs
  • Limit my cardio training to 3 days a week
  • Take fish oil
  • Not waste so much time studying the techniques of pro bodybuilders and their trainers. Most of their workouts and techniques aren’t useful without all the drugs.

I’d eat just as huge and left as heavy as I did when I was a lot skinnier. The only thing I would do different would be my diet and training consistancy. I ate a lot, but I also at a lot of sloppy foods and I’m now trying to cut it off. Ah well, that was 2 years of bulking and I had to start somewhere.

I wouldn’t have swam 40,000 yards a week while trying to gain weight. I would have joined the gym in town with the reverse hyper sooner. I would have trained the deadlift at least every other week. I would still…

-Eat more than anyone I know
-Eat 5 meals a day
-Sleep a lot
-Rotate Exercises frequently
-Try to set PRs frequently

In the process of going from 111 pounds to 150 I feel like I had already learned the most important lessons.

I’d also focus on the ‘feel’ of training my arms when doing curls and silly shit like that instead of trying to use a lot of weight. For me, I think I get more out of arm growth if I just try to squeeze the weight up on laterals and curls than if I try to lift as heavy as possible, even with good form.

Well i would have to first cut off my Mullet! Because that was big when i weighed 150 pounds! Then eat like a horse, get my technique down on the 3 big lifts ( Dead, Bench, Squat ) then work up in weight on those lifts.

I love these threads.

I am not one of the big guys yet, but i thought i would pitch in as 150lbs was a long time ago now…

I was 150lbs around 5 years ago now, and i looked almost the same from neck down, except now i am bigger… I have the same bodyfat, maybe 2% higher, but my shape is similar…just 30lbs heavier - or maybe it is just so hard to remember things like that, and memory distorts things. I bet in a picture i look a real little skinny thing!!

I would train different in that i used the right type of exercises and split, and i had achieved a certain level even at that point, but i used to change my workout too often, with a different session EVERY time i went in, rotating exercises always. Why you ask? Well, to keep the muscles guessing!! lol!

They were guessing alright, they were so fuckin confused they didnt know whether to grow, shrink or bleed!

I would concentrate MORE on the squats and DL i was already doing, working lower on the squats, and steadily building weight on both.

The PL style lifts are tantamount to progressing in size and strength, whether you use GVT or DC. That we have learned.

Joe

• I wouldn’t have run 5+ miles every other day. Assuming that I could burn fat AND gain crazy muscle if I ran like a marathoner and lifted like a bodybuilder.
  • I wouldn’t have based my training methodologies on the “Rocky” movies.
  • I would have eaten much much much more.
  • I would have slept more than 5-6 hours a night.
  • I would have given nutrition just as much attention as training.
  • I would have learned more about how to eat…(timing, macronutrient breakdown, eating for specific goals)
  • I wouldn’t have assumed that supplements were the biggest factor in getting results…instead I would have seen them as just one small peice to the puzzle.
  • I wouldn’t have been so naive to think that if I did the same training program as Arnold, or Ronnie, or Cutler that I could get the same results.
  • I would have approached my training with a gameplan…instead of walking into the gym just basically spinning my wheels with no clear direction/goal in sight.
    -I wouldn’t have believed everything that I read in Muscle & Fitness.
  • I would have eaten more green veggies.
  • I would have put more pounds on the bar.
  • I would have pushed it for 1 more rep.

More deadlifts
More squats
Less barbell flat bench press
More good food (tons more)
Less shit food
Less booze
More sleep

So, basically, I would do what I do now, only start doing it 10 years ago, so I would be bigger now.

Good thread. I would have a consistent sleeping schedule, which is all over the place and affects my gains. I would make sure I nail down the form for the deadlift, squat, and bench before I even attempt making progress. I would do either a 4day split or madcow’s 5x5 program. I would eat A LOT. I also would make sure I get a good preworkout meal and 2 postworkout meals (both consisting of amino acids, some protein, and some complex carbs and simple carbs for pwo). I would never miss breakfast.

Breakfast would be at least 1,000 calories everyday. I would do low intensity cardio to increase my hunger. Healthy fats (EV Olive oil), fish oil, beta alanine, creatine, bcaa’s, waixy maize and whey protein would be my supp stack I would be taking.

A thing I would NOT do: Over analyzing shit.

Nothing different. I think I was in middle when I weighed 150. I ate a lot back then, did lots of manual labor outside the house, lots of basketball and backyard football. Never lifted. Maybe I would lift more.