If You Squat 3x A Week?

What does your weekly workout routine/schedule look like?

Been do something like this for the last month.
Monday heavy olympic front and back
Thursday light olympic front and back
Saturday light front squat heavy box squat

or i might try some sprints and plyos on saturday instead.

I did the Smolov squat program for a while to give my elbows a rest when I was dealing with some tendinitis. It was a 4x a week squat specialization program that had you going Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday with different set/rep schemes every workout.

Not the most pleasant program to be on, but did yield good results.

I did this for a couple weeks:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1164784&pageNo=0#1165022

[quote]chewie wrote:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1164784&pageNo=0#1165022 [/quote]

How long did your weightlifting workouts usually take you?

Mine varied. Had to cut it down this summer because of heavy construction as one of 2 full time jobs. Before that, something similar to this:

Mon
ME PL squat
gm assist
Oly/DL/front squat

Wed
DE day–speed squat, speed pull, snatch

Fri
Heavy Oly squat/front squat (whatever variation I had used as assistance on Monday)
DL
3rd exercise

That’s just one formulation though. I had a bunch of others that I did. For a while I threw front box squats in. Those were rough.

Intensity on Friday was 3-5RM for 3-6 sets for the main movement.

I should also note that I never went over 6 reps in a set for any assistance work, and rarely went over 5reps/set.

Another variation of a 3x a week squat program would be the Bill Starr 5 x 5 program. You can use the search engine to find an article about it, but the general idea is:
Monday: 80% 1rm 5 x 5 (never go to failure)

wed: 5 x 5 65% 1 rm

fri: 3 x 5 80%, 2x3 85/90% - use this weight for mon. workout.

after squat do compound exercises like bench, power cleans, deads, rows, chins ect. with a similar rep scheme (heavy weight, lower reps, never to failure). If you search the forums, I remember responding to a Bill Starr thread a year or two ago where I copied out his “Built like a Brick House” article from an old issue of MM2K. I can’t remeber it exactly off the top of my head, but when I did it, my squat literally went up 100lbs in a year. Hope this helps.

[quote]Baller1950 wrote:
chewie wrote:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1164784&pageNo=0#1165022

How long did your weightlifting workouts usually take you?[/quote]

45 min to 1 hr.

monday light raw power squats up to an easy triple, usually 405x3, before ME BP

tuesday heavy raw squat up to 475-545x3, light BP, then heavy dls usually same as squats

thursday light squat, same as monday, before raw BP

Friday box squat with bands 5 sets of 2, focus is speed strength not strength speed, light BP, then speed dl and or GM.

i have gotten much stronger and added a ton of muscle in the last year with frequent, lower volume workouts, with less assistance work then normal.

I use Renegade Training and currently, I am doing some sort of squatting three times a week in addition to sprinting two days a week. My current schedule looks like this:

[u]Day 1:[/u]

Dynamic warmup
Includes hurdles, forward rolls, jump rope, unweighted GPP done in circuit fashion for 10-15 minutes

Weights
Focus lifts:

1. Close-grip power snatches
  2. Back squats
    Both done for 6 sets of 4 at 40-65% of my max and each set is followed immediately by med ball wood choppers and/or Russian split jumps. Rest periods are 35-45 seconds.

Supplemental lifts:

1. Good morning squats
  2. Plate raises
  3. Pull-ups
    All done for 4 sets of 6

Core Stabilization
Planks, side planks, horse stance, supermans and bar holds for 30 or 60 second holds

[u]Day 2:[/u]

Dynamic warmup similar to Monday’s workout but for 12 minutes and with a few different exercises

Sprints done for 8-15 sets of 30, 40 or 50-yard sprints at 70-75% max

Explosive Med ball work

[u]Day 3:[/u]

Dynamic warmup
Includes hurdles, forward rolls, jump rope, unweighted GPP done in circuit fashion for 12-15 minutes

Weights
Focus lifts:

1. Squat/Push Jerk complex
  2. Bench presses
    Both done for 6 sets of 4 at 40-65% of my max and each set is followed immediately by med ball wood choppers and/or Russian split jumps. Rest periods are 35-45 seconds.

Supplemental lifts:

1. Glute-Ham Raises
  2. Cuban presses or See-saw presses
  3. Supinated barbell rows
    All done for 4 sets of 6

Core Stabilization
Planks, side planks, horse stance, supermans and bar holds for 30 or 60 second holds

[u]Day 4:[/u]

Dynamic warmup similar to Wednesday’s workout but for 20 minutes and with a few different exercises

Shuttle Sprints done for 6-8 sets of 5-, 10- and 15-yard shuttles starting from stomach or back (laying on ground)

Explosive Med ball work

[u]Day 5:[/u]

Dynamic warmup
Includes hurdles, forward rolls, jump rope, unweighted GPP done in circuit fashion for 10-12 minutes

Weights
Focus lifts:

1. Power Clean
  2. Front Squats

Supplemental lifts:

1. Good morning squats
  2. Muscle Snatch
  3. Pull-ups
    All done for 4 sets of 6

Core Stabilization

If you want other ideas of how to work your legs more than 1-2 times a week, check out Coach Davies article “Nitro Squats” in the archives or by going to the “Authors” section and looking up his name and articles.

Nate Dogg, how many reps are you doing for the squats and what percentage of your 1rm?

It’s all stated in what I posted. Re-read it again.

Don’t expect to follow this program and make gains for long. My program is tweaked each week as far as the percentages go, and some of the exercises and sets/reps change every 1-3 weeks depending on what phase of the plan I am in. That is a sample of my current week of training.

Oh yeah, my bad. I see it now. So I’m guessing you’re doing the lifts explosively.

And I dont see mucg upperbody stuff in there, so are you doing 3 fullbody workouts a week?

Or are there extra upperbody days you didnt post?

The Bill Starr 5x5 or Mark Rippetoe 3x5 programs definitely work and involve squatting 3 times a week.

The only problem I have with Bill Starr and Rippetoes programs is that it is for 5 reps.

I’m only 15 years old and I dont want to squat too heavy because I’m worried about stunting my growth. I know all that growth stunting stuff is considered BS, but I’d rather be safe than sorry on this one.

So do you think squatting 5x10, 3x a week will be just as effective?

Is 5x5 considered low volume or high volume?

Is 5x10 or 3x10 higher in volume than 5x5 or 3x5?

[quote]Baller1950 wrote:
Oh yeah, my bad. I see it now. So I’m guessing you’re doing the lifts explosively.[/quote]

Of course. That’s one reason why they are done for low reps and lower percentages (40-60% of max).

[quote]And I dont see much upperbody stuff in there, so are you doing 3 fullbody workouts a week?

Or are there extra upperbody days you didnt post?[/quote]

As you can see, Wednesday has more upper body focus (bench press, direct shoulder exercises, rows). But ultimately, they are sort of “full-body” workouts. With Renegade Training, you focus on movement patterns, not bodyparts. So you pretty much hit the whole body each time with more focus on certain areas depending on the training day. (But I do have the bodybuilding program. It’s very similar to the one posted on T-Nation. You could always give that one a try).

The overall program is for athletic conditioning, so it doesn’t have much upper body exercises or isolation exercises. Some of my other Renegade Training programs do. This particular program is called “Shred.” You can get it for $25 per 8-week phase at renegadetraining.com. Good price for a very good program.

At this point, I want to be in incredible shape and be very lean. I’m not too concerned about doing a lot of upper body lifts or isolation work (arms) at this time. If I want, I can do some extra stuff, but I don’t feel the need to. I’ve already built up my upper body fairly well (for my size), so if I lose a little, I’m okay with that as long as my conditioning and bodyfat levels get me where I want to be.

You should be less concerned with building a bigger upper body and working on getting in shape for your sport. If basketball requires a huge chest and arms, then maybe I’m missing something.