T Nation

If you Hate Cops, this Story won't Change your Opinion

The thing that really surprised me was that the department didn’t make excuses for him…and issued an apology…I was shocked.

While I have to agree that too many cops are on power trips, and that this particular one was a piece of shit, Moats honestly should have pulled over.

The cop had every right to throw his lights on and chase this guy for running a red, and if Moats had explained his situation when the cop came up to the window, it could’ve been a lot quicker and easier for everyone.

That’s where you might be wrong bpeloquin. They’re looking into that “violation” because some viewer called in saying that the light he ran was having issues at the time. So technically if the light was actually stuck on red, he really didn’t break no law due to that

it’s in this video @ 2:24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G023eXCZDPE&feature=related

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
The thing that really surprised me was that the department didn’t make excuses for him…and issued an apology…I was shocked.[/quote]

Hard to make excuses with that video.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
The thing that really surprised me was that the department didn’t make excuses for him…and issued an apology…I was shocked.

You and me and a half a zillion other folks can safely assume that without the public dissemination of the video the department would have probably handled this a little differently, shall we say?[/quote]

Exactly.

Do the cops forget they are being recorded now? The cop was just so arrogant that he probably thought he wasn’t doing anything wrong.

Last time I was pulled over for speeding was in Colorado and they just gave me a warning.

:slight_smile:

[quote]Professor X wrote:
That One Guy wrote:
He resigned

Good.

There are good cops…[/quote]

If there are so many good cops there wouldn’t be any bad ones. The good ones would have turned all the bad ones in. Silence gives consent. Fixed.

[quote]slimthugger wrote:
Professor X wrote:
That One Guy wrote:
He resigned

Good.

There are good cops…

If there are so many good cops there wouldn’t be any bad ones. The good ones would have turned all the bad ones in. Silence gives consent. Fixed.

[/quote]

word.

A cop just got killed yesterday in that area.

I watched the 1st half of the video on break.com so if that video is wrong take that into account when I give my opinion.

Ok you’re a cop you pull over a car rolling through a red light or stop sign. As soon as they come to a stop two women go running out of the car. Ummmm I’m gonna draw my gun. For all you know they have weapons and or are trying to flee cause they have drugs or something.

Now a minute or two later when you know whats going I probably wouldn’t have been an asshole and detained the guy. But he sure didn’t make the situation easier on himself by having occupants leave and arguing with the cop.

You have people on both sides one calling for the cop’s blood and the other saying that they broke the law and he didn’t do anything wrong. From a legal standpoint he was in the right but morally most people will agree his compass was a little off.

I’m more in the middle. While the driver did break the law I’d have a little more compassion for an extenuating circumstance once it could be verified. And if I was an asshole I would of just given him the ticket and rode off.

I think cops should ask themselves “how is this going to protect and serve the community?” Instead most of them think “what can I get them on?”

I remember seeing that all over the news.

Just a few days ago some cop abused the shit out of his power and harassed my mom for no real reason.

And the cops around LSU are ALWAYS short and disrespectful.

I suppose you just don’t hear about it as much when cops do good things but damn it, this stuff happens more often than it should.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

But the cop was somewhat merciful…he told Moats, “If I wanted to I could screw you over” (by taking him to jail), so really the cop was a benevolent good Samaritan, right? [/quote]

Yes.

He could have shot him. Lucky bastard didn’t know how good he had it since he got to live.

I said I only watched the 1st half so I didn’t get that part about him threatening him with jail.

I’d be interested to know how many times cops threaten people with jail just to get them to shut up or cover their own ignorance/shortcomings. I bet the numbers would higher than the bill for a Professor X steak dinner.

I’m hoping the cop resigned of his own free will and not due to pressure from his precinct. At least this way he’d be back on track to being an ok person.

Almost makes me want to go out and buy a good video camera to mount in my car. Either that or become a federal agent so you could speed like mad and tell the cops to fuck off when they pull you over.

I think Moats acted very responsibly considering the circumstances. He was hauling ass, but he had his emergency flashers on, he yielded, then ran the reds when it was clear, and he stayed relatively calm and even stuck around for the ticket instead of bolting into the hospital while the cop was treating him like shit, all while his whole family was probably freaking out.

"Pull down your dress here’s a kick in the ass
Let’s beat you blue 'til you shit in your pants
Don’t move, child got a big black stick
There’s six of us babe, so suck on my dick

And ride, ride how we ride
Let’s ride, lowride

The left newspapers might whine a bit
But the guys at the station they don’t give a shit
Dispatch calls “Are you doin’ something wicked?”
“No siree, Jack, we’re just givin’ tickets”

As we ride, ride, how we ride
Let’s ride, lowride"-Police Truck,DK

im so sick of hearin about this! its been on the news and radio every day all day for the past week or so. cops are ass holes! we all know it. now lets get on with our lives!

Wow, stories like this sure bring the haters out of the woodwork. Too bad the media doesn’t like to report on all the good, courageous, and helpful things cops do in their communities everyday.