If You Had Parents to Take Advantage of...

Well, Grow! and Grow! Bars are really just convenient food - so I think that’d be fine for someone your age. They would also be helpful for the end of the week bare cupboards.

I’d say go with the Low-Carb Grow! and add in healthy carbs and fats like oatmeal, frozen berries, yogurt, flax seeds, natural peanut butter, etc. I love all the flavors, but tend to use vanilla and chocolate the most. You can also add it to oatmeal.

I like mixing lf yogurt and lf cottage cheese with frozen blueberries as a quick and easy meal. String cheese is a handy, healthy snack. Cans of tuna, whole-grain english muffins, brown rice, all fruits & veggies.

I’m very impressed with your outlook - good for you!

[quote]Tokyoo wrote:
The3toedSloth wrote:
Damn, if only I had someone to foot my grocery bill. :wink:

What do you do for exercise?

And who is she buying the crap food for? It’s tough to stay away from the junk when it’s in the house, but it sounds like you are very committed. Can she ( or you ) only grocery shop once a week? Maybe a second run to top up on fresh fruits and vegtables?

You can mix up an awesome breakfast or pre-workout ‘smoothie’ with fresh fruit and milk, or juice, oatmeal, ground flax seeds, and lots of other stuff.

|/ 3Toes

The smoothie thing is why I want Grow!. A lot easier to make shakes. Yes, she only shops once a week. The junk food is for her and my dad. My parents and I have almost no similar interests. Meaning, they’re not interested in a healthy lifestyle like I am.

[/quote]

Honestly, if your mom is open minded, you can talk her into letting you get some protein powder or bars, although not a necessity. Many kids might on occasion grab a ready to drink shake of weight watchers or ensure or something comparable that their mom buys, and many parents are ok with that. Your mom would probably think nothing of of buying you a snickers bar, which is a HIGHLY processed food. What’s the big deal about a protein bar? It’s a food.

I honestly don’t know why everyone has a phobia of anyone under 18 consuming even protein powder. Junk food is ok, but a designed food high in protein isn’t? Where’s the logic? I can understand telling someone not to worry about buying other supplements that are designed for an adult’s physiology, but there’s nothing wrong with protein powder. Other companies DO make “drinks” for children that are high in protein, its called infant forumla. My kids never were fed formula, but I don’t have a problem with a good quality powder I trust. My kids regularly have protein powder, and they are 3 and 5 years old. Why? Because they NEED protein in their diet. Many hyperactive children could benefit from increased protein intake to balance out their high carb intake. Mine don’t really eat enough meat when it is served to them, so we make sure that they have a little extra every day.

Of course I’m their parent and that is my decision to make, and your parents have to make a good decision for you. When I was in my teens, my parents really didn’t care if I bought some protein powder. But in today’s fear-mongering society where any supplements are labeled as “dangerous” by the media, it’s a little different.

So, if you can order Grow! Bars, that’s great if your parents are ok with that. If not, just keep eating good whole foods and working out. Everyone has given good advice on foods, and you’re already looking in the right places.

Thanks for all of the really good advice! What are EFAs? I know I’ve read about them, but I always get supplement stuff mixed up. I found some Omega 3 fish oil caps in my parents cabinet, and theyre letting me take those now. I take a multi vitamin everday. I was wondering if tortillas with shredded cheese was a good snack? I like them, and they only take a minute to make!

Since you mostly fend for yourself, you might be interested in this cookbook

fitnessfoodcookbook.com/

I have the previous version and it has tons of quick, simple and healthy meals. Good luck!

Well, I think Grow! and Grow bars could be beneficial. They would be good things to have for the end of week when healthy food is running low. Mix Grow! with some olive oil (to add healthy) fat and cottage cheese if available. Add some water. It tastes great-like a dessert. You can add some fruit too if you want and it will taste good with the flavor of Grow! Another good thing to have is frozen fruit. I tend to buy a lot at once and almost forget about it. But if I run out of fresh fruit and don’t have time to get to the supermarket for a time, then it’s there to eat. Get the unsweetened kind. Good luck. Keep up the hard training!

actually, dont get protein powder. do you really want to deal with the gas?!
:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

EFAs are Essential Fatty Acids, or the Omega 3, Omega 6, and Omega 9 fats.

They’re essential because your body cannot produce them on it’s own, nor from other fats.

Here’s some info that’s coppied and pasted from a website (sorry if it’s kind of dry):

Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs) are necessary fats that humans cannot synthesize, and must be obtained through diet. EFAs are long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids derived from linolenic, linoleic, and oleic acids. There are two families of EFAs: Omega-3 and Omega-6. Omega-9 is necessary yet “non-essential” because the body can manufacture a modest amount on its own, provided essential EFAs are present.

Omega-3 fatty acids are derived from Linolenic Acid, Omega-6 from Linoleic Acid, and Omega-9 from Oleic Acid.
EFAs support the cardiovascular, reproductive, immune, and nervous systems.

The human body needs EFAs to manufacture and repair cell membranes, enabling the cells to obtain optimum nutrition and expel harmful waste products.

A primary function of EFAs is the production of prostaglandins, which regulate body functions such as heart rate, blood pressure, blood clotting, fertility, conception, and play a role in immune function by regulating inflammation and encouraging the body to fight infection.

EFA deficiency is common in the United States, particularly Omega-3 deficiency.

An ideal intake ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 fatty acids is between 1:1 and 4:1, with most Americans only obtaining a ratio between 10:1 and 25:1.

The minimum healthy intake for both linolenic (Omega-3) and linoleic (Omega-6) acid via diet, per adult per day, is 1.5 grams of each.

One tablespoon of flaxseed oil can provide this amount, or larger amounts of other linolenic-rich foods. Because high heat destroys linolenic acid, cooking in linolenic-rich oils or eating cooked linolenic-rich fish is unlikely to provide a sufficient amount.

EFA deficiency and Omega 6/3 imbalance is linked with serious health conditions, such as heart attacks, cancer, insulin resistance, asthma, lupus, schizophrenia, depression, postpartum depression, accelerated aging, stroke, obesity, diabetes, arthritis, ADHD, and Alzheimer’s Disease, among others.

I tried to get some of the more important info there, but if you want to read up some more on it, here’s the website I got the info from:

I can only add two things:

If you establish good eating patterns now, you have something to fall back on for the rest of your life. Habits are incredibly hard to break, so you might as well establish some that are good for you. If you have read Berardi, you know what I mean with “good eating patterns”.

Learn how to cook. If you know how to cook, learn how to cook better. You will never eat healthy if the food that is good for you tastes like… ,um, you probably get the idea…

Wow, thanks everyone for the very good information! I’m still working on taking it all in, but I have already taken almost everyone’s advice and added everything mentioned to the grocery list! Now to find a good program…

[quote]Tokyoo wrote:
Wow, thanks everyone for the very good information! I’m still working on taking it all in, but I have already taken almost everyone’s advice and added everything mentioned to the grocery list! Now to find a good program…[/quote]

points to the article list

Tokyoo,

As for EFA’s, try walnuts, they are just packed full of healthy fats, plus they have 5-6g protein per serving, and 3g of fiber. Also, olive oil is your friend. Add a tablespoon or two to a protein shake for a great P+F meal. the olive oil will also help clear up your skin if you have acne. One thing though, AVOID SOY!!! Soy can mess up hormones, especially since you are currently in puberty. Don’t be afraid to take in quality red meat, as a lot of women shy away from it. Women actually benefit quite well from consuming red meat. Try Jenni-o turkey burgers(from the frozen section), 2 patties(pack) contains 40g protein, 18g fat, and 0g carbs. Some saturated fats will be good for you too, so don’t freak out. I have these for breakfast with 3-4 scrambled eggs, and 1/2 cup cooked spinach- I’m fueled until noon. Good luck, and have fun shopping. -Starkdog