T Nation

If You Don't Make Weight?

Can you still compete? I have a meet in a few weeks (local meet). I walk around at about 204 and I signed up to lift 198. I am confident that I will make 198, but if I don't, would most feds allow me to lift in the 220?

For a local meet, you’ll be fine. If you weigh heavy, you compete heavy. Maybe give the promoter a heads up just in case he was expecting certain numbers in certain classes.

The only issue when not making weight is really if you’re on a team and they can only have one person in each weight class. You should be fine if it’s just a typical meet.

Is it a 2 hour weigh-in? Have you competed before? If it’s your first meet, I wouldn’t even worry about dropping weight. You’ll have enough to think about.

Even if it’s a 2 hour weigh in, 6 lbs is basically nothing. It requires next to no preparation. Just do a few things right and you’ll make weight.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
Even if it’s a 2 hour weigh in, 6 lbs is basically nothing. It requires next to no preparation. Just do a few things right and you’ll make weight.[/quote]

Spot on.

Might depend a little on how lean/dry you are when you walk around normally, though. Definitely a little more challenging if you’re already on that end of the spectrum, but I know guys who’ve made much bigger cuts with 2h weigh ins.

A standard salt cut will most likely do it. If you’re still worried, you can probably cut a couple of lbs in the remaining weeks if you think you can do it without affecting your numbers.

Also, it’s nice to know if the place you’re lifting in has a sauna. I don’t know if it’s the same with all feds, as I’ve only competed in IPF, but if you miss weight you can re-weigh in within that 2h window. So if you don’t make weight, hit the sauna and come back. It’s not ideal because you’re cutting even more water and have less time to replenish, but it works in a pinch.

Oh also if it’s your first meet, I wouldn’t worry about making weight too much (unless you’re trying to set a record and it’s your last year as a junior or something like that). A 6lb water cut isn’t a big deal, but I wouldn’t try to push it much more than that. Because almost everybody makes stupid mistakes in their first meet, like following cues or proper attempt selection.

Just go with the flow. Try to learn the process and chat with the other PLers. They’re usually a friendly bunch. Honestly, IMO, the point of a first meet is to decide if you like competing or not.

If it’s not your first meet, disregard this.

Thanks for the replies. This is my second meet. Last time I didn’t bother with any type of weight regulation and signed up 220. Weighed in at 201 for that meet, which is why I decided to go 198 this time. Also, yes it is a two hour weigh in.

If all else fails, cut off one of your feet. Whichever one you use less. You’ll definitely make weight.

[quote]Alrightmiami19c wrote:
Thanks for the replies. This is my second meet. Last time I didn’t bother with any type of weight regulation and signed up 220. Weighed in at 201 for that meet, which is why I decided to go 198 this time. Also, yes it is a two hour weigh in. [/quote]

If you haven’t cut in the past and you have enough time to practice, it might be a good idea to do a test cut so you can know if it impacts your performance. It’s no fun trying to bench with a calf that is cramping due to dehydration.

I’ve weighed in 1.5 lbs over with a 2 hour weigh in and managed to cut that weight with sweat and spit, but it was miserable. Unless you’re going for a record, Nationals qualification, or something where you have to make that weight, I’d advise against trying to move down a class if you weigh in heavy at the initial weighing.

I’ve had minimal problems dropping 3-8 lbs with a two hour weigh in, by dropping carbs, increasing water, salt manipulation, and dropping water for the 12-18 hours prior to the weigh in. I’m in a lower weight class than you, but probably have more fat to hold the water.