T Nation

If You Could Remove 1 Lobby from the Political World

Assuming you have the power to erase one lobby from the world, assume, for the sake of argument, that this chosen lobby will never have existed; which lobbying group do you pick?

I wouldn’t get rid of any lobby group. It sets a bad precedent and is not in the interest of a free society.

Assume it’s magically disappeared, rather than removed by force. It never existed. Is there no influence you would like gone?

[quote]Legalsteel wrote:
Assume it’s magically disappeared, rather than removed by force. It never existed. Is there no influence you would like gone?[/quote]

Whether by magic or force it is still suppression of free speech. But if you want to know what lobby groups I don’t like I’ll tell you.

Anal rights groups(aka LGBT)

IslamoNazi groups

Climate alarmists

Refugee advocacy groups

Phoney civil rights groups

NAMBLA

Israel.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Israel.[/quote]

+1

[quote]doogie wrote:
NAMBLA[/quote]

What do you have against the Marlon Brando lovers?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Lobby for big pharma.

[quote]Legalsteel wrote:
Assuming you have the power to erase one lobby from the world, assume, for the sake of argument, that this chosen lobby will never have existed; which lobbying group do you pick?[/quote]

The NRA. A lobbying group WILL exist if an activity is threatened with legal consequences, so it would be nice if the NRA never existed.

CAIR

All the Dirt-People (global warming/green energy types)

I think any lobby should be allowed , but if the lobbyists were prohibited from being paid paid , it may change from a transaction to information

Ooooh, this is a good one. Ill have to think for a bit on what single one would be the worst…

[quote]NickViar wrote:

[quote]Legalsteel wrote:
Assuming you have the power to erase one lobby from the world, assume, for the sake of argument, that this chosen lobby will never have existed; which lobbying group do you pick?[/quote]

The NRA. A lobbying group WILL exist if an activity is threatened with legal consequences, so it would be nice if the NRA never existed.[/quote]

At this point, the NRA is mainly concerned with protecting the profits of gun manufacturers. ‘Gun Rights’ are more of a rallying point for getting donations and creating political pressure. It’s a fact that the ‘slippery slope’ concept is a logical fallacy. Look it up.

In the 50s (?) the government required seat belts in cars, saving hundreds of thousands of lives. They did not slide down a slippery slope and require roll-bars, breathalyzer shut-off mechanisms, car helmets, only one-way streets, and so on.

The NRA has grown beyond it’s logical useful role, and is now a negative influence making people less safe, IMO. But everyone is making money, and that’s what keeps them going.

[quote]K2000 wrote:
It’s a fact that the ‘slippery slope’ concept is a logical fallacy. Look it up.

In the 50s (?) the government required seat belts in cars, saving hundreds of thousands of lives. They did not slide down a slippery slope and require roll-bars, breathalyzer shut-off mechanisms, car helmets, only one-way streets, and so on.
[/quote]

It may well be a logical fallacy, but the phenomenon of laws growing more and more restrictive is readily apparent.

The government is now requiring the USE of seat belts in cars(Requiring seat belts in cars saved lives? Really? You can claim, and I will agree, that WEARING a seat belt is a good idea. But I will GUARANTEE you that if you get in a wreck in a car without a seat belt, then get in the same wreck in the same car-equipped with a seat belt this time-, while not wearing the seat belt, that the damage will be the same.) It’s requiring the wearing of a helmet while riding a motorcycle. It requires numerous environmental and safety features in new cars. Some people ARE required to have breathalyzer ignition locks on their vehicles. I wasn’t alive 30 years ago, but I’m going to guess that there are far more areas where passing is not allowed now than then.

Planned Parenthood…fuckin’ murderers.

I just joined the NRA. Just to piss you off.

[quote]pat wrote:
I just joined the NRA. Just to piss you off.[/quote]

lmao…

Really. I’ve not seen such a fact-less bunch of rambling on here since… oh, yeah, his last post.

As for the thread topic, I wouldn’t.

I would remove uninformed vote/letter voters, but seeing as that is impossible:

First before removing lobby, I would change the campaign process, and require all elected officials file audited personal financial statements with a board similar to SCOTUS & the SEC but obviously not lawyers.