If You Could Own 1 Gun and 1 Rifle

Only one of each which would it be? I asked the same question to some long time shooters at a gun store when gun shopping. Their answer was, a .357 magnum revolver.

Their reasoning was that in case of an apocalypse the ammo is easy to find, it can also fire the .38 in a pinch with no problems. If you get a missfire, just pull the trigger again. The long trigger pull in double action mode teaches you to fire very accurately. It can be used as a club in a last resort situation. All true.

Ended up getting the Smith and Wesson 686 with a 6" barrel. My first day at the range i was convinced there was something wrong with the gun. At 15 feet i kept missing the target. Then i learned trigger control. Now i can hit a solid grouping on a head sized target at 75 feet. So i’m getting better.

But now i want to rifle shop. What do you guys recommend? I leaning toward a AK47? AR? Bolt action? What would be the one ideal rifle that could do it all? Maybe a shotgun?

[quote]Gregus wrote:
Only one of each which would it be? I asked the same question to some long time shooters at a gun store when gun shopping. Their answer was, a .357 magnum revolver.

Their reasoning was that in case of an apocalypse the ammo is easy to find, it can also fire the .38 in a pinch with no problems. If you get a missfire, just pull the trigger again. The long trigger pull in double action mode teaches you to fire very accurately. It can be used as a club in a last resort situation. All true.

Ended up getting the Smith and Wesson 686 with a 6" barrel. My first day at the range i was convinced there was something wrong with the gun. At 15 feet i kept missing the target. Then i learned trigger control. Now i can hit a solid grouping on a head sized target at 75 feet. So i’m getting better.

But now i want to rifle shop. What do you guys recommend? I leaning toward a AK47? AR? Bolt action? What would be the one ideal rifle that could do it all? Maybe a shotgun? [/quote]

A good 308 bolt action and a 22 pistol, either a good revolver, or a ruger semiauto.

22 ammo is cheap and could be used for plinking to small game hunting. Not that greay for self defense, but it’s better than a stick.

If parts and ammo availability are a concern, I would probalby have to say a AR15 for the rifle.

Handgun would either be a 1911 or some version of .45ACP. Hard to argue again a 9mm as well.

If you plan to head to the woods, I would say a shotgun with assorted chokes. Shot or slug will take any animal in the area I would head to. If you had a 12 guage you could also get chamber inserts to shoot 20 or .410 shells.

You can also get barrel inserts to shoot handgun and rifle ammo. Would have to be break action for this.

For a handgun probably a 1911 type. Their ar lots of them out there so parts should be easy to get.

For a rifle I say get the Robinson XCR. Why? If you get the conversion kits you ca use 5.56(.223), 6.8 SPC, 7.62 x 39 (the AK round), and 6.5 Grendel which is a badass new round that rivals the .308 http://www.robarm.com/ check it.

I like your pistol choice. It is as good as any.

If I could only own 1 rifle it would be a bolt action rifle in .308. I’m assuming if it broke it couldn’t be replaced, based on your question, so I would go for the reliability and accuracy of the bolt gun.

I’m partial to the Savage Model 10 since I own one, like it, and have the reloading dies to make my own ammo.

[quote]jawara wrote:
For a handgun probably a 1911 type. Their ar lots of them out there so parts should be easy to get.

For a rifle I say get the Robinson XCR. Why? If you get the conversion kits you ca use 5.56(.223), 6.8 SPC, 7.62 x 39 (the AK round), and 6.5 Grendel which is a badass new round that rivals the .308 http://www.robarm.com/ check it.[/quote]

The Robinson XCR is a sweet rifle. Definitely up my alley.

[quote]hedo wrote:
I like your pistol choice. It is as good as any.

If I could only own 1 rifle it would be a bolt action rifle in .308. I’m assuming if it broke it couldn’t be replaced, based on your question, so I would go for the reliability and accuracy of the bolt gun.

I’m partial to the Savage Model 10 since I own one, like it, and have the reloading dies to make my own ammo.[/quote]

Thanks. There is something about revolvers i like. When it comes to Rifles i’m more partial to the high tech cosmetics of the likes such as the Robinson xcr or a bullpop design? Something along those lines.

What’s your opinion on this style pistol? Can it be a good hybrid between a rifle and a handgun?

http://www.bushmaster.com/images/catalog/c15_zoom/AZ-C15P97S.jpg

It fires the 7.62 round or a .223 remington.

Tag! You’re it.

Barrett M107 .50 Cal w/suppressor.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Tag! You’re it.

[/quote]

Wouldn’t much meat left on the deer after shooting it with that.

[quote]dhickey wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Tag! You’re it.

Wouldn’t much meat left on the deer after shooting it with that.[/quote]

This rifle isn’t meant for killing dear but if I were in that situation I would only aim for the hoof.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
dhickey wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Tag! You’re it.

This rifle isn’t meant for killing dear but if I were in that situation I would only aim for the hoof.[/quote]

Yeah, I suppose a head shot would work as well. Kind of messy, but it wouldn’t go anywhere.

I would go for the titanium SW 38 special for weight and conceal ability. And Remington 300 mag, I also like Lifty?s choice

Glock 17. Most common pistol in the US(for replacement parts) and reliable as can be anyway.

The AR15’s common usage makes it a front runner for replacement parts and the ammo is certainly plentiful.

However, the M1A’s ruggedness and the vast superiority of the .308 cartridge over the .223 put it high on the list.

But if I really had to choose only one rifle it would be the AK47, despite my affinity and years of reliance on the AR platform. You can bury it, shoot the hell out of it without cleaning, smash somebody over the head with it and it will keep running fine. The magazines are also indestructible and plentiful and it is stupidly simple to work on. Hands down, the weapon for really bad times.

[quote]dhickey wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
dhickey wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Tag! You’re it.

This rifle isn’t meant for killing dear but if I were in that situation I would only aim for the hoof.

Yeah, I suppose a head shot would work as well. Kind of messy, but it wouldn’t go anywhere.[/quote]

Head shot? and destroy the best part of the kill? The brains/eyes/tongue/cheek are some of the most nutritious/delicious parts of the animal. As far as I am concerned the only reason to hunt is to get these products from animals that live on a natural diet and are not farm raised.

[quote]JD430 wrote:
Glock 17. Most common pistol in the US(for replacement parts) and reliable as can be anyway.

The AR15’s common usage makes it a front runner for replacement parts and the ammo is certainly plentiful.

However, the M1A’s ruggedness and the vast superiority of the .308 cartridge over the .223 put it high on the list.

But if I really had to choose only one rifle it would be the AK47, despite my affinity and years of reliance on the AR platform. You can bury it, shoot the hell out of it without cleaning, smash somebody over the head with it and it will keep running fine. The magazines are also indestructible and plentiful and it is stupidly simple to work on. Hands down, the weapon for really bad times.[/quote]

An AK47 would be my second choice if mine enemies make it past my defensive perimeter (.50 cal) and I needed a reliable lightweight assault rifle.

My AR-15 clone and Sig Sauer P220.

The DE Mark XIX AE and an AK-47 or M16. I lean more towards the AK for price and availability.

Varq’s pick, with provisos: a Ruger Redhawk and Marlin lever-action carbine, both in .45 Colt.

For versatility, it’s hard to beat the AR platform. By swapping upper receivers you can conceivably go from .22LR to .50BMG, and damn near everything in between.

Regardless, I wouldn’t have an AR, because I don’t like the way they look and feel. I feel great affection for my own rifle, which I can’t imagine feeling for an M4 or an M16.

Ditto for anything in the Kalashnikov line. The AK is pretty much the Isuzu pickup truck of the firearms world. It’ll run forever, no matter what you do to it, it’s tough as hell, and ugly as sin. Practical accuracy is minute-of-enemy soldier with the crummy iron sights at as far out as you can hold. Nothing to write home about, but it gets the job done. Kind of like fucking a fat chick.

I’m obviously partial to the M14. It’s as rugged and beautiful as the AR is flimsy and the AK is ugly. And it is deadly accurate out to farther than you can see your target with the naked eye. I have lots of ammunition, plenty of magazines, and a complete set of spares for it, down to the last pin and spring, so in the highly unlikely event that something broke or came loose, I could replace it.

That said, if I absolutely had to choose something else, I would choose the Steyr-Mannlicher Scout rifle in .308. Any rifle conceived by the late Colonel Jeff Cooper has much to recommend it, and although it’s not as aesthetically pleasing to my eye as the M14, it’s light, ergonomically perfect, plenty rugged for the task, and ridiculously accurate.

It’s a bolt-action, which means both that it’ll be relatively safer from the predations of the hoplophobic scumbags in Congress for a while (until they start banning “sniper rifles”), and also that it’ll keep shooting for years and years and years without having to have any parts replaced.

It also means that you can fire Hornady Light Magnum 180-grain loads that are the ballistic equivalent of the .30-06, and that would beat the shit out of an M14 receiver. It can also fire small-game-appropriate underpowered loads that wouldn’t cycle the action of the semiautomatic rifle.

As to that, I’ve been playing with some blue plastic West German NATO practice rounds originally made for the G3. They’re accurate out to 300 yards, are about as loud as a 9mm, and absolutely no recoil. Perfect if you ever have to take small game with a .308.

For the handgun, I’m definitely prejudiced toward the venerable old 1911 .45 automatic, for both sentimental and practical reasons: it was the first firearm I ever owned (twenty-five years ago), it fits my hand perfectly (which is rare), and it has never failed me. One thing that nobody has mentioned yet is the fact that you can get a .22 conversion kit for the .45, which allows you to practice a whole hell of a lot for very little money. Plus, if you ever have to shoot a squirrel or a rabbit for meat, a .22 is going to be more appropriate to the task.

It looks like you’ve already got your .357, which is a very good choice, although if I were to choose a revolver, AND if I had plenty of ammunition, AND if I had reloading equipment and plenty of brass, I’d go with a 4-inch stainless Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt.

This weapon has all of the ballistic advantages of the .45 automatic, and all of the reliability advantages of the double-action revolver. It’s incredibly strong, and can handle ridiculously heavy loads (more powerful even than the .44 magnum) that would ruin the frame of a Colt or Smith revolver.

You can load your .45 Colt cases with 185-grain Winchester Silvertip bullets and just enough powder to approximate the .45 ACP, and have yourself a superb defense round.

Or you can load them with 300-grain Speer jacketed flat nose bullets and considerably more powder, and have a round that will kill a bull elk or a grizzly bear.

Or, you can load the case with a light bullet and very little powder, for your jackrabbits and squirrels. Or birdshot, for rats and rattlesnakes.

Combine the Redhawk with a stainless Marlin .45 Colt lever action carbine, and you have the ultimate post-apocalyptic survival firearms platform. With these two weapons, you can take out anything on the North American continent, from mouse to moose, with one caliber. Just make sure you have a good Dillon or Hornady press with plenty of brass, primers, powder, and bullets, or a supply of lead (junkyard car wheel weights and fishing sinkers are a good source), smelter and molds, for casting your own.

Hell, if you were really resourceful, you could probably even concoct your own black powder, since the .45 Colt was, after all, originally a black powder round. The guns won’t mind (especially not if they’re stainless), just be sure to clean them extra-specially well (black power is corrosive and burns dirty).

Which brings me back to your situation, Gregus. Since you have already chosen your revolver, why not get yourself a Marlin carbine in .357 Magnum? It would be nowhere near as effective as a .308 or a .45 Colt on larger animals at longer ranges, but for wild pigs and mule deer at 100 yards (or ninjas and zombies at up to 300) you’d be all set.