T Nation

If You Could Only Do One Exercise

[quote]craze9 wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
My shoulders seemed to get a lot more broad after doing lateral raises after having spent years NOT doing them.[/quote]

How many inches are we talking?

I also spent years never doing them but have been doing them a lot for the past 9 months or so. [/quote]

No idea, never measure. It’s why I said “seems”, haha.

I’ll see if I can dig up any photos pre/post for comparison.

My first reaction was deadlift

Which is really stupid because my back shatters often.

I think any sort of heavy neutral grip overhead work would be my choice.

Or squatting.

Man this is a useless post.

My first thought was chin ups. Pullups are probably the best lat builder and with the supinated grip is also a good bicep builder.

I do agree with the guy who conjugates with lions though.

[quote]craze9 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
something that worked the shoulders, I guess.

All you need to have a good physique is broad shoulders and low bodyfat.

FACT[/quote]

Perhaps, but broad shoulders are 90% a question of genetics, no?

No matter how many lateral raises I do there are guys who don’t lift at all who’ll still have a better shoulder / hip ratio.
[/quote]

clavicles, yes. Shoulders, no.

My shoulders are a way wider now since giving lateral and rear delts the love they deserve

Deadlift any day.

[quote]Angus1 wrote:
I do agree with the guy who conjugates with lions though. [/quote]

You are wise. Many of us here do. The rest are all sheep.

I guess we all cheated by picking two movements (clean AND press), so I am changing my answer to log viper press.[/quote]

How about snatch then. Thats one brutal movement that I love

Deadlifts, hands down.

Deadlift without a doubt.

But the curl pull is strong.

[quote]Bauber wrote:
Deadlifts, hands down.[/quote]

well obviously, probably hard to DL with your hands up.

I’d probably do a 1-armed DB Push press with like a circus DB. Idk why, that seems like it’s make be decently strong if I ever got good at it, and would his some muscles in the delts/upper back/abs/arms area to maybe look like I lifted.

The deadlifters have moved in but still no sign of the squatters.

The one thing they have in common is a good set of glutes.
Not sure that would be my priority but the squatters will also have nice quads to go with it so there’s always that. The deadlifters get hamstrings and erector spinae to go with it.
Hmmnnn …

I would just skip the lifting and go straight to conjugating with lions.

Some sort of weighted carry, like farmers walk or frame carry.

Squats
Definitely Squats
No other exercise can compare to Squats.

Now you guys don’t have to wait for the “Squat Guys” :slight_smile:

If I was forced to do only one lifting exercise for the rest of my lifting days, it would be an exercise I don’t even perform in my lifting program. It would be the snatch.

[quote]tontongg wrote:

I guess we all cheated by picking two movements (clean AND press), so I am changing my answer to log viper press.[/quote]

How about snatch then. Thats one brutal movement that I love[/quote]

Just saw this, I didn’t read past the first page and a couple on the bottom of the second page.

My choice as well

If clean & jerk/press is cheating, then I say FARMER CARRIES!!..snatch would work too.

I’d personally do 40kg kettlebell swings. I suspect I’m alone in this choice, I just feel that they do a great job of building posterior chain power and improving endurance and, most importantly, they never leave me feeling broken down.