T Nation

If You Could Only Do One Exercise

This is a bit of a spin off from another thread, that I thought deserves it's own topic.

Important caveat: I'm fully aware that only training with one movement is far from ideal and is a stupid way of going about almost any goal. If the title really bugs you, think of the exercise that you consider most important in your training instead. The leg adducter machine will not be accepted as an answer.

If You Could Only Do One Exercise?
If You Could Only Do One Exercise?

Maybe the Power Clean and Overhead Press. That would work a lot of stuff at once. Either that or squat rack curls.

My answer constantly changes, but at this point it’s the keg clean and press. Good combination of brute strength, speed and coordination required, and hits a lot of the body.

[quote]OldOgre wrote:
Either that or squat rack curls.[/quote]

Yes!

See? That’s what I said in the thread that inspired this one.

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Honestly, if I could only do 1 exercise for the rest of my life, I would CURL.

Come on, admit it. The 1st time you went up to a dumbell rack, you didn’t do 1 arm dumbbell cleans and presses with the intention of building functional strength. You did the most primitive and instinctive movement of all. You CURLED!

Notice what happens when you pick up and hold a barbell at the bottom position of a curl? Bam! Perfect posture! That’s why you CURL!

Chick feels your arm, goes “wow you’ve been working out!”. You don’t do a fucking side tricep pose. You pull up your sleeve and you flex that bicep. That’s why you CURL!

Remember how Batman saved Liam Neeson’s ass at the edge of the cliff in Batman Begins? He fucking CURLS!

This is why I conjugate with lions.[/quote]

Clean & Jerk!

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]OldOgre wrote:

Yes!

[quote]dt79 wrote:

Come on, admit it. The 1st time you went up to a dumbell rack, you didn’t do 1 arm dumbbell cleans and presses with the intention of building functional strength. You did the most primitive and instinctive movement of all. You CURLED!

Notice what happens when you pick up and hold a barbell at the bottom position of a curl? Bam! Perfect posture! That’s why you CURL!

Chick feels your arm, goes “wow you’ve been working out!”. You don’t do a fucking side tricep pose. You pull up your sleeve and you flex that bicep. That’s why you CURL!

Remember how Batman saved Liam Neeson’s ass at the edge of the cliff in Batman Begins? He fucking CURLS!

This is why I conjugate with lions.[/quote][/quote]

I genuinely don’t remember the last time I did a curl.

This might explain my 15" arms.

Dumbbell clean and press because, yes…

And it’s kinda cracking me up that most of the answers so far are pretty much the same. The C&P crowd got in before the just-f’n-squat’ers. Ha.

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Remember how Batman saved Liam Neeson’s ass at the edge of the cliff in Batman Begins? He fucking CURLS! [/quote]
Fact: One-arm preacher curls are more functional than push-ups.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]OldOgre wrote:

Yes!

[quote]dt79 wrote:

This is why I conjugate with lions.[/quote][/quote]

I genuinely don’t remember the last time I did a curl.

This might explain my 15" arms.[/quote]

Haha, seriously, I would just do weighted dips for the chest and arms and keep my bodyweight low for general health.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Remember how Batman saved Liam Neeson’s ass at the edge of the cliff in Batman Begins? He fucking CURLS! [/quote]
Fact: One-arm preacher curls are more functional than push-ups.[/quote]

Lol!

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Dumbbell clean and press because, yes…

And it’s kinda cracking me up that most of the answers so far are pretty much the same. The C&P crowd got in before the just-f’n-squat’ers. Ha.[/quote]

All of the just f-ing squat guys must have jobs or something.

Deficit deadlift w/ snatch grip

something that worked the shoulders, I guess.

All you need to have a good physique is broad shoulders and low bodyfat.

FACT

Rings muscle ups, mofo

supinated grip deadlift with a curl and a shrug at the top, a row on the way down.

I’m also in the “clean and press” camp. Any implement - barbell, dumbbell, kettlebell, log, keg, sandbag. Just something about the full movement of picking something off the ground and putting it overhead that, to me, feels like it hits many of the movement patterns and muscles.

I guess we all cheated by picking two movements (clean AND press), so I am changing my answer to log viper press.

[quote]Yogi wrote:
something that worked the shoulders, I guess.

All you need to have a good physique is broad shoulders and low bodyfat.

FACT[/quote]

Perhaps, but broad shoulders are 90% a question of genetics, no?

No matter how many lateral raises I do there are guys who don’t lift at all who’ll still have a better shoulder / hip ratio.

My shoulders seemed to get a lot more broad after doing lateral raises after having spent years NOT doing them.

good ol’ deadlift. just happens to be what I enjoy most.