If You Could Go Back

I love this thread. There’s a lot of great stuff here, some of which I’d like to follow up on. One thing that’s important to keep in mind - our decisions of what we would change are kind of influenced by the desired endpoint. If I was training to be a world-class PL or OL, almost everything from 23 onwards was worthless, haha. But in the scope of my own life, I wouldn’t totally change things, just would redirect a little bit. Anyways:

Ages 14-22:

I wouldn’t change anything about my training. I had been pretty well-coached by my father (very average amateur PL’er, but lifted in meets and knew what good lifting looked like) and my training was fairly sound - mostly good heavy compounds supplemented with appropriate assistance work and conditioning. As for the guys here who said they would play a sport & train for it - definitely, playing football and wrestling gave me a very good foundation of athleticism, understanding of hard work, and desire to keep myself in shape.

BUT, I would revamp my nutrition quite a bit. The sports kept me so active that I ate a ton, but too much of it was junk food. My parents did a pretty good job of cooking decent meals - it’s not like we ordered pizza for dinner every night - but I gorged myself at every meal, ordered the biggest size of everything when we ate out, etc. I would go back, eat more reasonable portions, make myself eat a protein and vegetable at every meal, and limit (not eliminate, kids have to live a little) the junk food, milkshakes, and desserts.

Or at least order small milkshakes instead of large ones, haha. I was an athletic-but-fat kid, and instead of being a chunker at 245ish pounds, I probably could have been a leanish 225 pounds and better at my sports as a result.

Ages 23-26:

Although what I did in this time-frame had virtually no bearing on long-term lifting success…I wouldn’t take it back, I would just do a few things differently. I spent most of this time running (including a slew of half-marathons and 1 full), biking, and took up yoga. This wasn’t going to help lifting progress at all, but it was cool and exposed me to other types of exercise and training strategies for them.

What I would change, though: I had plenty of stretches in here where I did absolutely zero strength training, or occasional bench workouts with some curls and nothing else. Instead, even if training for a marathon, I would tell myself that I should keep doing minimum of 1 deadlift workout and 1 bench workout per week, to maintain some basic level of strength. I also would have bought a kettlebell sooner and used it more regularly.

Obviously, if I were writing this with the goal of becoming a world-class powerlifter, then all of this was pretty much wasted time. But as a “guy who just wants to stay in pretty good shape” I can live with this diversion, because it exposed me to so many other fitness-things that I learned from, some of which I will carry forward. Probably the best thing to come out of this was the introduction to yoga.

Age 27-28:

Spent most of my age-28 year goofing around with some odd workouts, and eventually started doing lots of kettlebell work. I would change plenty about this…once I made the decision to start strength training again, I would have gone back to the gym much sooner (instead of doing KB-only at home) to add barbell work AND kettlebell work, instead of dicking around with some KB stuff, occasional pull-ups, and all sorts of other goofy decisions and acting like this was a recipe for sustained progress.

My first training log on here is a total mess of I’ll-do-this, no-wait-I’ll-do-this instead decisions. It’s only the last few months that I feel I have really started making solid progress.

I would, and will, keep my regular hot yoga practice as a complement to the strength work. Ideally at least once a week. Hot yoga class is magic for recovery.

Today:

I feel like I’m going in the right direction (have recently posted a plan for the next three months in my training log).

I’ve made plenty of mistakes along the way, but as others have mentioned, getting into lifting at a younger age would have served me well.

Also, less coke would have been a good idea. Cocaine’s a hell of a drug.

I’d definitely want to go back and start training at 15 instead of 18. And I’d also tell myself to not get dragged out the gym by mates that want to go drinking instead. I could be so much further along by now if I’d started and stuck with it.

And I’d also start myself on a good program instead of asking the big guys what they did. It turns out everyone I’ve asked for advice from is on steroids and was feeding me rubbish.

[quote]Paul93 wrote:
everyone I’ve asked for advice from is on steroids[/quote]

those assholes!

[quote]Benanything wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

-never even attempt to deadlift

[/quote]

but why?[/quote]

fucked my back up so many times trying it

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Started at 105lbs, finished at 190lbs naturally. [/quote]

that’s really impressive

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

that’s really impressive[/quote]
Thanks. Took more than 6 years of constantly force feeding myself. This is why I have no sympathy for people whining about fast metabolisms lol.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Paul93 wrote:
everyone I’ve asked for advice from is on steroids[/quote]

those assholes![/quote]
“Chasing a dream, they injected a shot of concentrated sin!”

Personally if I could go back

1. I would have never gotten into using wraps as much as I do now.
  2. Would have spent A LOT more time dedicated to heavy and hard back training.
  3. Would have learned how to eat for performance rather than just sheer mass way sooner. This is something I always neglected all the way up until literally the passed year. I just kept increasing the food with no care of where it came from or where it went in the diet.
  4. Never would have joined the Army. I started making great progress in Strongman and Powerlifting at 18 finally and then all of a sudden took decided to join the military. I loved my time and wouldn’t trade it for anything but, the 4 year break in powerlifting definitely brought my gym gains down. I could only imagine where i would be now had I just kept going in the gym.
  5. Would have taken a lot better care of my mobility and flexibility. 24 years old and between lifting and the military some mornings it is a real struggle to put ion my shoes.

As far as aesthetics go - I’d turn back the years when I was swimming a lot and working as a life-guard. There wasn’t a lot of sunscreen use in the late 80’s and early 90’s. A fair-skinned, green-eyed person with a lot of red in her hair has NO business owning a bottle of Hawaiian Tropic tanning oil. I had a Basal Cell Carcinoma in my late 20’s and have been really careful since.

My brothers had a weight set in the corner of our living room. It never occurred to me to touch it. I’m sure if I had, I would have been my generation’s brunette Jamie Eason. :wink: HA!! I didn’t know a single woman who lifted then, and I probably would have been embarrassed or gotten bored and quit. It would be really interesting to know what my potential was if I’d have started at 16.

There were a lot of years of running, and eating very little protein. It kept me from gaining weight, but I could never figure out why I didn’t look more athletic.

Related to lifting -

Realizing that the concentric is only part of the movement, and sometimes not even the most important part.

Focusing on the mind-muscle connection of a specific muscle instead of thinking “I completed the row.”

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

Thanks. Took more than 6 years of constantly force feeding myself. This is why I have no sympathy for people whining about fast metabolisms lol.[/quote]

That is impressive. Force feeding was the worst the first time going through it. That’s when I learned that losing weight is easier than gaining weight, especially when trying to keep the diet clean for as long as possible. Throwing in the fast food was a relief, haha.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Personally if I could go back

1. I would have never gotten into using wraps as much as I do now.
  2. Would have spent A LOT more time dedicated to heavy and hard back training.
  3. Would have learned how to eat for performance rather than just sheer mass way sooner. This is something I always neglected all the way up until literally the passed year. I just kept increasing the food with no care of where it came from or where it went in the diet.
  4. Never would have joined the Army. I started making great progress in Strongman and Powerlifting at 18 finally and then all of a sudden took decided to join the military. I loved my time and wouldn’t trade it for anything but, the 4 year break in powerlifting definitely brought my gym gains down. I could only imagine where i would be now had I just kept going in the gym.
  5. Would have taken a lot better care of my mobility and flexibility. 24 years old and between lifting and the military some mornings it is a real struggle to put ion my shoes.
    [/quote]

That’s some good advice. Number 2 can’t be emphasized enough. The back can handle a lot of volume. I would have thrown in a lot of light-med work in addition to the heavy work.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
Focusing on the mind-muscle connection of a specific muscle instead of thinking “I completed the row.”
[/quote]

This is a common theme.

[quote]lift206 wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

Thanks. Took more than 6 years of constantly force feeding myself. This is why I have no sympathy for people whining about fast metabolisms lol.[/quote]

That is impressive. Force feeding was the worst the first time going through it. That’s when I learned that losing weight is easier than gaining weight, especially when trying to keep the diet clean for as long as possible. Throwing in the fast food was a relief, haha.[/quote]
Yeah I consume a lot of shakes now to maintain/gain weight.

And Big Macs. Lots of them.

I would have advised my adolescent self to start eating right and learning the basics of training, instead of doing cardio and low carb at age 20 to drop a ton of weight really fast and then suddenly look skinny fat and weak to boot. I ate a lot of crap in those days, got no exercise, and by the time I was a sophomore in college, I was fat enough to sell spare shade at the city pool all summer. My dad had a plethora of free weights in the basement, so I already had access to barbells and dumbbells for the big 4 core lifts.

If I could go back to my early 20s, I’d have kept eating consistently well and started with 5/3/1 right off the bat to begin building strength in the core areas, since I had already gone from 289 lbs down to the 180s.

If I could have my mid and late 20s back, I’d tell myself to STOP gaining weight and get the hell back in the weight room to begin building strength. I waited till I was 32 to come back to the game, and now I’m playing catch up, but I’m glad I made the choice to do so during the winter of 2012-2013, and I haven’t regressed since.