If You Can't Squat Deep...

Guy in that vid is legit.

In the immortal words of George Carlin:

“Golf is a boring sport… for boring people.”

Everybody can squat deep. If they don’t believe you, tell them to lay on their back and bring their knees in. VAWALLA an ATG squat. I’ve done this for friends who claimed that it wasn’t possible. Compliments of Mark Rippetoe.

[quote]elano wrote:
Everybody can squat deep. If they don’t believe you, tell them to lay on their back and bring their knees in. VAWALLA an ATG squat. I’ve done this for friends who claimed that it wasn’t possible. Compliments of Mark Rippetoe.[/quote]

thats actually still uncomfortable though

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
elano wrote:
Everybody can squat deep. If they don’t believe you, tell them to lay on their back and bring their knees in. VAWALLA an ATG squat. I’ve done this for friends who claimed that it wasn’t possible. Compliments of Mark Rippetoe.

thats actually still uncomfortable though[/quote]

LOL nobody said squatting was comfortable. If it isn’t below parallel tho it isn’t a squat. If it’s done right, it should be obvious and no need to question if it was deep enough anyways.

I have yet to meet a person who actually can’t squat deep. Give me 10 minutes with them. It all starts with a deep bodyweight squat, then just the bar. If they can go deep with that, then it’s time to add weight. Most people’s problem is that their knees go to far past their toes. The next most common problem I see is that their stance is too narrow.

I think a lot of people are just afraid to go in the hole because they are scared they won’t be able to come out. I tell them to get in the damn hole regardless and if you can’t get out then drop it on the pins. Mentality has a lot to do with it.

[quote]elano wrote:
Everybody can squat deep. If they don’t believe you, tell them to lay on their back and bring their knees in. VAWALLA an ATG squat. I’ve done this for friends who claimed that it wasn’t possible. Compliments of Mark Rippetoe.[/quote]

I can’t squat that deeply and I can do an ATG squat. Different stresses on different places. Your entire back is not having to hold you up, nor is there any pressure on you in that position that is related or similar to a squat.

That’s not a very good example.

Most people can squat deeply, but I just wouldn’t use that argument.

if you think squatting deep is all there is to life/training:

then you’re a fucking idiot.

SQUAT HIGH OR DIE.

not kidding.

stfu.

[quote]Synthetickiller wrote:
elano wrote:

I can’t squat that deeply and I can do an ATG squat. Different stresses on different places. Your entire back is not having to hold you up, nor is there any pressure on you in that position that is related or similar to a squat.

That’s not a very good example.

Most people can squat deeply, but I just wouldn’t use that argument. [/quote]

I agree with SK. It’s a lazy argument made by someone who likes to think they’ve the answer to everyones problem.

[quote]Synthetickiller wrote:
elano wrote:
[/quote]

That’s retarded, lying down brining your knees up isn’t even remotely related to squatting down with a weight on your back. I suppose I would be looking down as well.

Provided you are healthy and have a reasonable amount of mobility and flexibility squatting to depth shouldn’t be a problem.

wasnt there just an article about people who cant squat all the way down? think it was in mythbusters 3.

[quote]elano wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
elano wrote:

thats actually still uncomfortable though

LOL nobody said squatting was comfortable. If it isn’t below parallel tho it isn’t a squat. If it’s done right, it should be obvious and no need to question if it was deep enough anyways.

I have yet to meet a person who actually can’t squat deep. Give me 10 minutes with them. It all starts with a deep bodyweight squat, then just the bar. If they can go deep with that, then it’s time to add weight. Most people’s problem is that their knees go to far past their toes. The next most common problem I see is that their stance is too narrow.

I think a lot of people are just afraid to go in the hole because they are scared they won’t be able to come out. I tell them to get in the damn hole regardless and if you can’t get out then drop it on the pins. Mentality has a lot to do with it.[/quote]

People who don’t have enough hamstring flexibility may be able to squat deep, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that they can do it properly. They usually round their backs when they get in the bottom position… That right there increases the chances of lumbar disk herniation. The solution? DO YOGA AND START SQUATTING!

A friend of mine has finally decided to follow my footsteps and start squatting rock-bottom, but unfortunately, he ain’t flexible enough. His back gets rounded when he goes down…

I actually cant squat deep and it irritates me that I cant, its due to radionecrosis of my right thigh from radiation therapy, my quads are all tight and crap now and it sucks

[quote]stallion wrote:
…you should consider taking up golf, it might fit your psyche better.

[/quote]

Or you can lift in the IPA. ;O)

I keed, I keed.

[quote]UHCougar05 wrote:
stallion wrote:

I keed, I keed.

[/quote]

I actually think that’s a great idea. Get our meet directors more money and laugh when they bomb :slight_smile:

[quote]karlrichii wrote:
I actually cant squat deep and it irritates me that I cant, its due to radionecrosis of my right thigh from radiation therapy, my quads are all tight and crap now and it sucks[/quote]

I’d be more concerned over what that shit did to your face than to your quads.

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
UHCougar05 wrote:
stallion wrote:

I keed, I keed.

I actually think that’s a great idea. Get our meet directors more money and laugh when they bomb :)[/quote]

Ironically,the deepest I have ever had to squat in a meet I had a couple IPA sidejudges. Me and a training partner were bullshitting before the meet about how loose the depth calls were going to be. We were rudely awakened.

Question:

Which powerlifting fed has the worst judging as far as squat depth?

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
Question:

Which powerlifting fed has the worst judging as far as squat depth?[/quote]

The IPF.

dons Flame suit

;O)

[quote]UHCougar05 wrote:
TYPE2B wrote:
Question:

Which powerlifting fed has the worst judging as far as squat depth?

The IPF.

dons Flame suit

;O)

[/quote]

Lol.

Seriously, which one?

[quote]Pinto wrote:
buckeye girl wrote:
UHCougar05 wrote:
stallion wrote:

I keed, I keed.

I actually think that’s a great idea. Get our meet directors more money and laugh when they bomb :slight_smile:

Ironically,the deepest I have ever had to squat in a meet I had a couple IPA sidejudges. Me and a training partner were bullshitting before the meet about how loose the depth calls were going to be. We were rudely awakened.

[/quote]

I love it when people assume that because it’s multi ply, you’ll be able to squat high. I had a meet on the 25th and they made it quite clear in the rules meeting, if you didn’t break parallel, you weren’t getting whites. And from what I saw, that held true, regardless of weight class.