If You Can't Breathe, You Can't Lift!

I’ve dealt with nasal congestion all my life. I have a narrow nasal passage and am prone to congestion. It’s tough to train when you can only breathe out of one nostril. Waa Waa Waa!

I’ve tried a several different solutions, and finally found one that works for me: Saline nasal spray! I use it in the shower every morning, and although it’s not a pleasant experience, it clears out my nasal passage and allows me to breathe freely. My training sessions have been noticeably better since.

I thought I’d pass on the advice, in case others struggle with the same problem.

My brother has terrible allergies and he gets really congested sometimes. He’s got a prescription nose spray that is really effective. I can’t remember what its called, but I used it once and my nose was so dry I had nosebleeds for 3 days.

I’ve never tried a nasal irrigation pot, but they look hilarious:

Don’t forget the idea of moving to a different place. My general stuffiness is way less in California than it was in Texas or Colorado. Whatever the plant differece is, I approve.

My doctor told me I had huge turbinate. No need to be jealous fellas…they’re in your nose.

I’ve tried many things, but not what you mentioned. Glad this works for you because it does indeed suck not being able to breathe through your nose.

Casey

My nose does some stupid shit now that I’m in Taiwan, which is really hot and humid in the summer and damp and cold in the winter.
I can deal with some nasal congestion and all during the day, but having one nostril closed and one running like a faucet at 3AM really sucks.

I don’t get it why don’t you breathe from your mouth?

Because then you’d be a mouth-breather.

And of course he must breathe from his mouth if his nose is congested or he’d be dead already.

Give yourself a tracheotomy. Noses and mouths are for the weak.

Try a neti pot. That thing has been a godsend ever since someone on here recommended it to me. It works way, way better than that saline nasal spray. Maybe consider surgery as well. I had large turbinates, a deviated septum, and some other stuff going on with my sinuses and had surgery to fix it all. I was off of the painkillers in 2 days and ready for work in another 2 or 3, though you have to deal with a nose that constantly drips blood and mucus for another week or so after that. Overall it was definitely worth it though.

[quote]grayman19 wrote:
Give yourself a tracheotomy. Noses and mouths are for the weak. [/quote]

ha!

[quote]rcsermas wrote:
Try a neti pot. That thing has been a godsend ever since someone on here recommended it to me. It works way, way better than that saline nasal spray. Maybe consider surgery as well. I had large turbinates, a deviated septum, and some other stuff going on with my sinuses and had surgery to fix it all. I was off of the painkillers in 2 days and ready for work in another 2 or 3, though you have to deal with a nose that constantly drips blood and mucus for another week or so after that. Overall it was definitely worth it though.[/quote]

Thanks RCE… I’ll give a neti pot a try. Is it a mess to use? I like the spray because I can do it in the shower and doesn’t require a whole ordeal with towels and hot tinctures etc.

I’ve asked doctors in the past about surgery and all have been reticent to pursue it. They just recommend a decongestant. Any advice on getting a doc to take the matter more seriously? I would gladly undergo a minor surgery for a dramatic improvement in this area.

[quote]Bunny Bench wrote:
I don’t get it why don’t you breathe from your mouth?[/quote]

I tend to agree. If I’m doing any real strenuous lift, I’m not breathing out of my nose alone, I’ll exhale either out of my mouth or combination of nose/mouth. I have a deviated septum as well.

Why would you only want to breathe out of your nose while lifting heavy?

[quote]Cartman8675 wrote:

[quote]Bunny Bench wrote:
I don’t get it why don’t you breathe from your mouth?[/quote]

I tend to agree. If I’m doing any real strenuous lift, I’m not breathing out of my nose alone, I’ll exhale either out of my mouth or combination of nose/mouth. I have a deviated septum as well.

Why would you only want to breathe out of your nose while lifting heavy? [/quote]

Your missing the point. Congestion sucks. Especially while lifting.
Like others have said try a Neti Pot. Like $15-20 at Target and they are awesome. The first few days you prolly wanna use it 2 or 3 times a day, and it will generally make it a little worse to start with cos you have all that shit backed up there, but after that just use it once in the mornings will make a world of difference. It’s a little “weird” the first time you do it, but you get used to it quick once you find the right angle. The whole process only takes a minute anyway unless your really backed up then you might be sitting there with a tea pot in your nose for a minute before anything starts to come out but I used to get allergies every spring for like 6 weeks and i would general just not work out for those 6 weeks cos it was almost impossible, the neti pot changed all that.