IF vs OMAD for Bodybuilding?

I am an Intermediate Fasting and low carb advocate…and have been for some time. I’m beginning to investigate possibilities of OMAD for bodybuilding. Any experience or comments?

I have been a fan of OMAD for a few years now. I would never tout it for strict hypertrophy reasons. Probably TMAD is a good place to start here, which is why Martin Berkham’s Leangains is very popular.

1 Like

To optimise hypertrophy, you’re going to have to eat more carbs, and eat more meals.

@ChongLordUno

1 Like

No experience. A comment: I suspect that, all else being equal, OMAD would produce results inferior to a more traditional eating schedule.

4 Likes

If OMAD worked for bodybuilding, every bodybuilder would do it, because cooking and cleaning sucks, and so does eating like a bodybuilder.

4 Likes

Thanks for your comments. Pretty much mine too. I’m an old guy and at my age and experience, every time I think about trying to put on some muscle, I’m just not willing to also get fat, so I’m better served staying lean.

Nothing about IF or OMAD in and of itself keeps you lean, unless it helps with satiety. You’re not gonna gain more fat eating a normal eating schedule, in fact, the additional muscle you gain from a more ideal diet will actually boost your metabolism so you could argue that eating a normal 4-5 meals a day would be better for staying lean

1 Like

I would never use OMAD for laying down new tissue. Not a chance.

In saying that, even for cutting it can be a hard gig. Especially if you like a wee treat. The bloat and feeling of lethargy after a 2kcal meal, especially when you’re on a backshift, can be brutal

4 Likes

@EyeDentist
Personally, I think that depends on the current body fat rate and weight. People with light bodyweight are not suitable for OMAD. If someone already obese, that is feasible to try OMAD in bodybuilding.

Of course it would be feasible, just like any fasting, just not optimal.

1 Like

An obese person is not going to do well in bodybuilding. They will need to get not obese first.

2 Likes

Maybe this is where definitions matter again. When most of us say “bodybuilding,” we’re thinking of someone trying to get to the stage; that implies a very specific degree of muscle mass and leanness.

If we’re just talking about convenient ways to look better than average at the pool (and I’m not implying this is an unworthy goal), we open up myriad more methods.

I will now call these options the “Triple M” plan and you may get on my ebook preorder list for $19.99.

1 Like

As the Op said, it’s about “trying to put on some muscle… just not willing to get fat”. He’s not into competitive bodybuilding. OMAD may serve him quite well in those circumstances.

1 Like