T Nation

IF Time Slowed Down

If time was slowed down in reality and we were able to process this phenomenal reduction of time do you think we could come to any kind of conclusions, for instance, if you looked upon a rock would it be static or constantly shifting and moving? Do you think that it could or would change our perception in any way of how things interact? I know that you can slow down time with laser pulses that is how the femto second was discovered, but imagine time slower than a femto and give me some input on this question.

Would the photons that hit our retinas slow down too?

Maybe if everything slowed down then we wouldn’t notice. I AM BEYOND!!!

oh i guess you got some of that OG Kush…potent stuff

[quote]Nards wrote:
Would the photons that hit our retinas slow down too?

Maybe if everything slowed down then we wouldn’t notice. I AM BEYOND!!![/quote]

nope, only time changes.

The faster you go, the more time slows down. I’m actually fairly certain that gps takes this into account when positioning people.

[quote]FlameofOsiris wrote:
The faster you go, the more time slows down. I’m actually fairly certain that gps takes this into account when positioning people.[/quote]
It’s not significant until you start approaching the speed of light though, so I highly doubt GPS would need to take into account movement of only 100 km/h or around there.

To answer OP though yes I think it would help scientific research a lot to be able to observe things for longer periods of time such as the elements that only exist for something like 1 trillionth of a second thus making it difficult to observe.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
If time was slowed down in reality and we were able to process this phenomenal reduction of time do you think we could come to any kind of conclusions, for instance, if you looked upon a rock would it be static or constantly shifting and moving? Do you think that it could or would change our perception in any way of how things interact? I know that you can slow down time with laser pulses that is how the femto second was discovered, but imagine time slower than a femto and give me some input on this question.
[/quote]

Why would a rock start shifting and moving just because time was slowed down? I highly doubt anything ‘phenomenal’ would happen, stuff would just move slower. Quit smoking drugs and get a job.

[/quote]

The only way you would be able to see if the rock was shifting at all, would be to speed up time. Otherwise, it would ALWAYS appear to be static.

The same would apply to anything eroding.

[quote]imhungry wrote:

The only way you would be able to see if the rock was shifting at all, would be to speed up time. Otherwise, it would ALWAYS appear to be static.

[/quote]

[quote]TheCoolestLuke wrote:

[/quote]

Why would a rock start shifting and moving just because time was slowed down? I highly doubt anything ‘phenomenal’ would happen, stuff would just move slower. Quit smoking drugs and get a job.
[/quote]
Haha this was funny. When he talked about “shifting” I interpreted it as “vibrating” because even the molecules of solids vibrate it’s very fast so if you slowed things down, you might actually be able to observe it.

[quote]JLu wrote:

[quote]FlameofOsiris wrote:
The faster you go, the more time slows down. I’m actually fairly certain that gps takes this into account when positioning people.[/quote]
It’s not significant until you start approaching the speed of light though, so I highly doubt GPS would need to take into account movement of only 100 km/h or around there.

To answer OP though yes I think it would help scientific research a lot to be able to observe things for longer periods of time such as the elements that only exist for something like 1 trillionth of a second thus making it difficult to observe.[/quote]

GPS satellites do have to factor in their relative velocities as well as the gravitational field of the Earth. It might not be significant but it eventually adds up.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]
Nope.

This thread was brought to you by the letter W.

The Presidential shit, George Bush!

Yeah, I remember learning about how gps had to take time delay into account in my physics class. It was never really explained in detail, but it was brought up again by my astronomy professor, Michio Kaku. He knows his stuff. =)

…ever wondered why a fly is so quick at avoiding getting smashed? A fly perceives reality 3 times faster than we do. To a fly, we move slow; therefore our movements are slow and easy to avoid…

…time itself doesn’t actually exist, but it’s our perception of movement that creates the illusion of time. If you want to slow down time, you simply speed up your perception of reality. This is experienced often by people. In a high stress situation, adrenaline speeds up the brain’s perceptual pathways and everything appears to slow down. Neat, huh?

[quote]ephrem wrote:
…ever wondered why a fly is so quick at avoiding getting smashed? A fly perceives reality 3 times faster than we do. To a fly, we move slow; therefore our movements are slow and easy to avoid…

…time itself doesn’t actually exist, but it’s our perception of movement that creates the illusion of time. If you want to slow down time, you simply speed up your perception of reality. This is experienced often by people. In a high stress situation, adrenaline speeds up the brain’s perceptual pathways and everything appears to slow down. Neat, huh?[/quote]

this is exactly what my partners and I came up with last night.

“dude, that truck was about to hit me and everything slowed down” is usually what someone has when describing a collision.

the perception of reduced time allows for more intricate detail description also, so the rock in my question would look different. you’ll see the molecules combine and be able to pick out certain things as they mesh…rocks are solid but even stone moves at that level, right?

and you’re totally right in saying time isnt real, until a few centuries ago nobody cared about time. that explains why people from non industrial countries are never on time. theyre like “um wtf is time?”

I could be wrong, but I don’t think that flies perceive things a bit slower than they are actually happening. Also, I read that the whole bullet-time thing is nonsense. I just think that the human body is amazing like that. When something happens that requires immediate attention, it just reacts. Have you ever done anything that had you wondering how you did it afterwards? I know I have, and while it does feel like time slowed down for a few seconds, it’s only because you reacted so quickly.

I don’t know if time just sped up or slowed down, but all I know is that reading this thread, I just lost about 2 minutes I’ll never get back.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
I don’t know if time just sped up or slowed down, but all I know is that reading this thread, I just lost about 2 minutes I’ll never get back.[/quote]

I’m guessing this kind of stuff doesn’t interest you?

If time slowed down or our perception sped up, the only people who would notice are the ones who were there before the change occurred.

If you were born after it occurred, it would just be normal. Just as with people born after the change over to the metric system.