If There Was a Zombie-Apocalypse...

[quote]imhungry wrote:
How the hell do you just “run into a guy” and have this kind of conversation? Just wondering.[/quote]

IH, she lives within walking distance to Idaho.

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:
How the hell do you just “run into a guy” and have this kind of conversation? Just wondering.[/quote]

IH, she lives within walking distance to Idaho.[/quote]

That is the easier way of explaining it…

[quote]Oleena wrote:

[quote]gonepostal wrote:
Well in that case I think anybody in small towns with a decent rifle and a handgun would be doing alright…tsk tsk to everybody jumped on that animal lover thread band wagon your all screwed now[/quote]

I was thinking this. The hunter/farmers would be the best off. They generally have food stores and they have the ability to get more in a way which most wouldn’t be competing for.

I think I’d join a team with them.[/quote]

Would you eat a person if you had to?

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Oleena wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Oleena wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

He’s a successful entrepreneur who’s friends with one of my friends. This mutual friend raved about what a nice, successful business guy this dooms-day guy was and how I should pick his brain. So I did.

He’s (dooms-day guy) a pretty logical person who has done really well for himself and is well aware that he’s paranoid. I think being in the army and having his arm blown apart might have contributed slightly to his current paranoia. But overall, his mindset has made him incredibly resourceful and willing to do what most people don’t- which is completely follow their convictions. He went from being on disability social security to making more than most of the population in one year.[/quote]

Is he logical or is he paranoid?[/quote]

He’s logical about business development and paranoid about saving. As the business development consumes a much greater portion of his life than his “stocks”, I’d say he’s mostly logical.[/quote]

There’s nothing logical at all about any of this, and I’m not even getting into the whole zombie thing. I mean, do you realize how utterly impossible it would be for virtually any country or force to take over the United States?

There’s really only one country, perhaps two, that could even dream about taking this country over from a military standpoint. China, and maybe Britain if they had most of Western Europe with them and they got the drop on us with some Kim Philby-type of espionage that blinds us to a surprise attack.

But that’ll never happen. China could never go to war with us in the next ten years. They JUST got their first aircraft carrier up and running and quite frankly, they’d had have MUCH more to lose than to gain if they attacked us. Our economy would necessarily fall apart within days if China launched an all-out assault that actually managed to succeed. That means that theirs would be right behind ours, along with most of the civilized world. The reality is that the only countries with any interest in wiping us off the face of the Earth will never have the capability of doing so and are so destitute that they would only minimally be harmed by the utterly complete collapse of the entire world’s economic system.

Now, can Iran potentially get a nuke within 10 years? Of course, but how are they going to deliver it here? They aren’t, and they don’t have the sort of standing army, or the means of moving them across a continent and an ocean, in order to back up this theoretical nuclear strike. If Ahmadinejad is really as wacky as the chickenhawks in Washington think he is, he’d just deliver it to Israel, kill about 200,000 people and then Israel would use their nukes to turn Tehran into glass.

Same thing with North Korea. They can’t get an ICBM across the Sea of Japan so how are they going to deliver a huge payload across the entire Pacific? And even though they are the only country where there is even a remote possibility that their leaders would entertain a full-out attack of the U.S. in their darker moments, they are also the only one with a large enough standing army to be of any threat to the U.S. Except that their army is significantly malnourished and lacks an effective way of transporting that many troops across the Atlantic in a manner that we couldn’t stop with, say, one or two F-22 Raptors. And even if they COULD do all of this, they wouldn’t do it us, they’d do it to South Korea then China would step in and probably intercede on behalf of South Korea.

Regarding famine: there are breakthroughs being made in the wide world of genetically-engineered food everyday. On top of that, one positive to accelerated climate change is that there are all sorts of new areas opening up to agriculture that was never available before. A famine in one area may simply mean a large boost in production in another area.

From a purely social standpoint, within the U.S., I don’t see it happening. I think this is the most likely scenario, but it isn’t likely at all. Who’s going to lead this societal revolution? Hardcore liberals? They failed miserably in the sixties already. Hardcore conservatives? They won’t take over, they’ll just check out and turn into survivalists. Anarchists? I don’t think so. They’re too in the minority and they’d have the full weight of the federal, state and local govts weighing down on top of them the second they got too far out of line. And the rest of society just simply Does Not Give a Fuck.

So I don’t think there is a single shred of logic in your doomsayer friend’s thinking. None whatsoever. It sounds to me like he hasn’t directed one logical, cogent thought toward this scenario at all.

[/quote]

C’mon play along, who doesn’t like a good zombie flick?

[quote]gonepostal wrote:

[quote]Oleena wrote:

[quote]gonepostal wrote:
Well in that case I think anybody in small towns with a decent rifle and a handgun would be doing alright…tsk tsk to everybody jumped on that animal lover thread band wagon your all screwed now[/quote]

I was thinking this. The hunter/farmers would be the best off. They generally have food stores and they have the ability to get more in a way which most wouldn’t be competing for.

I think I’d join a team with them.[/quote]

Would you eat a person if you had to?
[/quote]

I’m not sure. I think it might depend on the person. What about you?

[quote]Oleena wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Oleena wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Oleena wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

He’s a successful entrepreneur who’s friends with one of my friends. This mutual friend raved about what a nice, successful business guy this dooms-day guy was and how I should pick his brain. So I did.

He’s (dooms-day guy) a pretty logical person who has done really well for himself and is well aware that he’s paranoid. I think being in the army and having his arm blown apart might have contributed slightly to his current paranoia. But overall, his mindset has made him incredibly resourceful and willing to do what most people don’t- which is completely follow their convictions. He went from being on disability social security to making more than most of the population in one year.[/quote]

He’s logical about business development and paranoid about saving. As the business development consumes a much greater portion of his life than his “stocks”, I’d say he’s mostly logical.[/quote]

There’s nothing logical at all about any of this, and I’m not even getting into the whole zombie thing. I mean, do you realize how utterly impossible it would be for virtually any country or force to take over the United States?

There’s really only one country, perhaps two, that could even dream about taking this country over from a military standpoint. China, and maybe Britain if they had most of Western Europe with them and they got the drop on us with some Kim Philby-type of espionage that blinds us to a surprise attack.

But that’ll never happen. China could never go to war with us in the next ten years. They JUST got their first aircraft carrier up and running and quite frankly, they’d had have MUCH more to lose than to gain if they attacked us. Our economy would necessarily fall apart within days if China launched an all-out assault that actually managed to succeed. That means that theirs would be right behind ours, along with most of the civilized world. The reality is that the only countries with any interest in wiping us off the face of the Earth will never have the capability of doing so and are so destitute that they would only minimally be harmed by the utterly complete collapse of the entire world’s economic system.

Now, can Iran potentially get a nuke within 10 years? Of course, but how are they going to deliver it here? They aren’t, and they don’t have the sort of standing army, or the means of moving them across a continent and an ocean, in order to back up this theoretical nuclear strike. If Ahmadinejad is really as wacky as the chickenhawks in Washington think he is, he’d just deliver it to Israel, kill about 200,000 people and then Israel would use their nukes to turn Tehran into glass.

Same thing with North Korea. They can’t get an ICBM across the Sea of Japan so how are they going to deliver a huge payload across the entire Pacific? And even though they are the only country where there is even a remote possibility that their leaders would entertain a full-out attack of the U.S. in their darker moments, they are also the only one with a large enough standing army to be of any threat to the U.S. Except that their army is significantly malnourished and lacks an effective way of transporting that many troops across the Atlantic in a manner that we couldn’t stop with, say, one or two F-22 Raptors. And even if they COULD do all of this, they wouldn’t do it us, they’d do it to South Korea then China would step in and probably intercede on behalf of South Korea.

Regarding famine: there are breakthroughs being made in the wide world of genetically-engineered food everyday. On top of that, one positive to accelerated climate change is that there are all sorts of new areas opening up to agriculture that was never available before. A famine in one area may simply mean a large boost in production in another area.

From a purely social standpoint, within the U.S., I don’t see it happening. I think this is the most likely scenario, but it isn’t likely at all. Who’s going to lead this societal revolution? Hardcore liberals? They failed miserably in the sixties already. Hardcore conservatives? They won’t take over, they’ll just check out and turn into survivalists. Anarchists? I don’t think so. They’re too in the minority and they’d have the full weight of the federal, state and local govts weighing down on top of them the second they got too far out of line. And the rest of society just simply Does Not Give a Fuck.

So I don’t think there is a single shred of logic in your doomsayer friend’s thinking. None whatsoever. It sounds to me like he hasn’t directed one logical, cogent thought toward this scenario at all.

[/quote]

I covered this. He’s paranoid about doomsday (obviously no logical thinking going on there). However, his scenario brings up a fun mental game-the zombie apocalypse. How would you survive?[/quote]

I would slit their fucking throats with Extreme Prejudice. Duh.

I think the real fun mental game regarding the apocalypse is to think of a potentially feasible scenario in which it could happen. And happen suddenly, not over the course of millions of years, maybe even billions, such as the sun engulfing us.

I don’t really see any hard and fast logic to any of these doomsday scenarios. I suppose that theoretically it could happen at any moment at all without any warning since I’m loathe to say that anything outside of the scope of our ability to prove something can actually be IMpossible.

But realistically, what possible way could the Earth, or humans’ existence on it, come to an end in 10 years? Short of some highly-convoluted Strangelovian disaster or a huge asteroid bashing us into a trillion little pieces, I don’t really see anything remotely realistic that could cause this vague doomsday scenario you two are referring to.

There is one other possibility and it really is the only one that carries any sort of validity, so I wonder if your friend owes much of his paranoia to its possibility. Rapidly-spreading viruses.

But I think that the possibility (or lack thereof) of something like this happening tends to get forgotten amidst all the worst case scenarios. Perhaps a virus could mutate and wipe out a huge swath of the world’s population. But the reality is that it probably could never totally end it, or even drop it down to levels that can’t be sustained and increased over time.

Aside from that, certain parts of the Earth may actually benefit from the deadly spread of a virus, which isn’t to minimize the loss of life involved, but if we’re talking strictly doomsday scenarios and their possible effects from a purely analytical standpoint and completely independent from any moral judgments, then vulnerable places like India or certain areas in China or in Brazil or in Bangladesh or Pakistan would definitely benefit from a large loss of life. And it’s areas like those, without proper healthcare systems to help minimize the spread, that will be hit the hardest in the event of an outbreak. So I don’t see how even that could really lead to a doomsday scenario of any kind if we’re talking in terms of the globe as a whole. Certainly not one derived from a person with any notion of logical thought processes.

[quote]Oleena wrote:

[quote]WolBarret wrote:

[quote]Oleena wrote:
I ran into a guy last night who thinks the US will be taken over in 10 years and there will be a full scale war resulting in food shortages, money being worthless, and anarchy for a while. He’s seriously stock-piling large amounts of guns, food, and silver in preparation for this. While I’m pretty sure it would never go down to the extreme he’s planning for, he brought up one good point- there are only two days worth of food on the grocery store shelves at any point in time. If there was a country-wide disaster of any sort, we would starve.

Naturally, this brought me to the zombie apocalypse.

Who would last the longest?

I’m pretty sure the power-lifters would outlast the bodybuilders (their low bodyfat percentage would prove problematic in the face of a food shortage).
[/quote]

Oleena = Buzz Killington
T-Nation = Stewie

[/quote]

LOL![/quote]

Good to know you’re a good sport and can take a joke.

lol what do you mean it would depend on the person? Do you have to hate the person? Love? or feel indifferent?

yeah…I “think” I could. My default mode wouldn’t be to just form a band of cannibals and start eating everybody around me, but yeah if I was in a dire situation and it meant my survival…btw is anybody else drinking?

[quote]gonepostal wrote:
lol what do you mean it would depend on the person? Do you have to hate the person? Love? or feel indifferent?

yeah…I “think” I could. My default mode wouldn’t be to just form a band of cannibals and start eating everybody around me, but yeah if I was in a dire situation and it meant my survival…btw is anybody else drinking?[/quote]

I think I’d have to feel at least indifferent toward them. And extremely hungry.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
I’ve read this book. Very plausible plot.

http://www.onesecondafter.com/[/quote]

Okay, now we’re going somewhere. But what causes the electromagnetic pulse? Is it possible for one big enough to knock out the entirety of the country’s electronic devices? If so, who can deliver this sort of impulse? What sort of defense against such a thing, or at least a backup plan, might realistically be in place RIGHT NOW that we don’t even know about yet?

The CIA and the Obama administration have been cracking down especially hard lately on ANY sort of intelligence leak to journalists and others who are not on a need-to-know basis? Perhaps this scenario has been covered and we’re trying to keep the methods secret.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
I’ve read this book. Very plausible plot.

http://www.onesecondafter.com/[/quote]

For a zombie-apocalypse, or in general? :wink:

I too have heard this from very, very rich people. That its coming.
I also have heard from others that this is in the works to be avoided but its being planned.

I have a rough prep plan. Been talking about it with some MIL/LEO guys when we watched waking dead.

I always wondered if it would come down to THe Road meets Walking dead. So there are zombies out eating people, but food runs low, really low, so does wild game, if you arent a zombie and resort to eating people what the hell exactly is going on at the point? The dead are eating people and the undead are eating people. People are just going to get eaten.

This is where I think Mark Rippetoes qoute will come to truth and light:
“Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

This is how it happens!!!

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Oleena wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Oleena wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[/quote]

Super volcano under Yellowstone.

Yup, the one that is kind of due to go off.

You are welcome.

China=largest possible population of zombies

[quote]Christine wrote:
Team Shane![/quote]

The whole zombie thing is overplayed and tiresome.
Can we please move onto some other diseased misfits of society?

i would be good to have in a zombie-party

[quote]crazyj23 wrote:
Man with most guns last longest…Man who stand on toilet high on pot.[/quote]

Man who shits on a tractor-trailer weighing station does his business on a very large scale.

I think the best survival strategy would be to have food producing SKILLS. Specifically, the ability to hunt, fish, and easily identify edible plants. Unlike a food cache, enemies can’t take away your skills from you, at least not without making those skills useless to themselves in the process.

If you have the ability to get food, other survivors will want to ally themselves with you rather than overpower you. Yes, you’ll have to share your catch with others, but that’s a small price to pay for the protection afforded by a small group versus trying to go it completely alone. Alone, all it takes is to fall to asleep one time and you may wake up to a walker gnawing on your leg.

Obviously you want to be out in the country where there is food be found in nature. Cities are not only bad because of the lack of animals and plants, but, as population centers, they are also going to have a high concentration of walkers.