IF / Pulse Feast / Supplementation

Your body can adapt to do many things. Its quite amazing. You need to push past your limits to discover what they are. That is half the fun of training and bodybuilding.

Do you think hydrolyzed whey protein would be a good source to fast/pulse with? It is a bit cheaper, looking at around $9-11 per lb, and is still a very fast acting protein. I’m thinking taking 30g of hydrolyzed and add some l-leucine to the drink would do fine.

Thoughts?

[quote]S C 0 0 Z E wrote:
Do you think hydrolyzed whey protein would be a good source to fast/pulse with? It is a bit cheaper, looking at around $9-11 per lb, and is still a very fast acting protein. I’m thinking taking 30g of hydrolyzed and add some l-leucine to the drink would do fine.

Thoughts?[/quote]

It’s not necessary. Save your money. Stop being a baby and actually fast if you’re going to do intermittent fasting. Nearly all of Martin’s clients have gotten into great shape without losing muscle and without having to drink protein shakes all day to assure themselves that they weren’t.

I was referring more towards CT’s Pulse Feast where he recommends two pulses, 30g each, of hydrolyzed casein.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]S C 0 0 Z E wrote:

Thoughts?[/quote]

It’s not necessary. Save your money. Stop being a baby and actually fast if you’re going to do intermittent fasting. Nearly all of Martin’s clients have gotten into great shape without losing muscle and without having to drink protein shakes all day to assure themselves that they weren’t.[/quote]
i think this is a product of the last 10/15 years where alot of people( my self included) have or had been filled with fear/panick buy the aggresive advertising of the supp companies that if you dont eat or down supps every couple of hours your bodys instantly in a catabolic state. im fasting on average 18 hours a day due to daily obligations and my lifts are still going up .

A lot of people say you can do the IF and get great benefits but for pure muscle building it is not as efficient. So if you want to optimally BUILD muscle a pulse feast type protocol may be better. Also Martin on his website advocates for pulsing with BCAA’s if you workout in the morning.

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
A lot of people say you can do the IF and get great benefits but for pure muscle building it is not as efficient. So if you want to optimally BUILD muscle a pulse feast type protocol may be better. Also Martin on his website advocates for pulsing with BCAA’s if you workout in the morning.[/quote]
i will agree that for pure muscle building maybe its not the best . but for building muscle with minimal/no fat gain , no constant hunger and flexibilaty IF for me is the boom . i will disagree about the pulse feast or similar pulsing as its not fasting and you will be negativly affecting fat loss during the fasted period as well as nutrient partitioning . also the recomendations of pulsing bcaa’s POST WORK OUT are only to avoid catabolisam if you cant have a meal POST WORK OUT .

I completely agree it will eliminate the benefits of the fat loss during the fasting. I do the BCAA’s because I work out from 6-8 normally and don’t eat until noon. And I have been enjoying muscle growth, increased strength, minimal fat gain. It is also extremely convenient not having to think about food all the time and packing food and eating in class. Its great I love it.

the Pulse Feast method will hinder fat loss? untrue

[quote]bkane531 wrote:
the Pulse Feast method will hinder fat loss? untrue[/quote]

It will negate the benefits of fasting in the first place because…guess what…you’re not really fasting! No one’s saying you can’t lose fat with pulse feasting, just that it may be suboptimal compared to Martin’s methods.

Pulse Feast is a manner of calorie control. Both IF and pulse feast are, in the end, mainly just ways to eat less food without really feeling deprived. IF has some secondary benefits to insulin sensitivity and nutrient partitioning, as well as cognitive benefits from the increase in catecholamines, but all of that is icing. As to whether pulse feast has those benefits, I don’t know. I haven’t seen any studies done on it and anything else is really just anecdote.