T Nation

If a Car Gets Stuck...

This is just a little argument that a friend and I were having the other day and I was looking for some opinions.

It started with us talking about something and watching Ronnie Coleman's 2300lb leg press video. My friend - who doesn't lift and is all about being "functionally" strong for work - says "Who cares if he can do that? Say someone's car is stuck, what's he gonna do, leg press it out?"

But Ronnie has some damn impressive lifts. So I'm thinking, wouldn't any powerlifter, strongman, bodybuilder, etc. with big lifts have an advantage in that situation over someone who is just strong from work?

depends on the person... but absolutely

hey... You never know when you'll have to leg press your way out of dangerous situations, like if a car was on top of you and the only thing you can use was your legs. Yeah, tell your friend to stay "functional".

tell your friend he can go fuck himself and you dont fucking care bout his opinion, and then continue on to steal all the beer in his fridge, and beat him severely with a plastick cooking utensil :slight_smile:

my ex girlfriends nissan maxima once lost a front wheel and was resting on the brake rotor. The car sat to low for my buddy and i to get the jack underneath but just by a little bit. So i looked at my friend mike and asked if i were to lift the car just slightly, would he be able to get the jack under? So i stuck my hands inside the front fender and pulled in a deadlift form, the front end of a car happens to be really freaking heavy so i couldnt get it very high, but high enough to get the jack under, wheel on and problem solved.

I like this option and I believe it will come in handy in future situations, lol.

Lol, had a similar situation last time I was in korea. They have these little trucks called bongos, and two guys in one almost hit me and my two friends on our way to lift. When we got to the gym we saw them park in between two cars so we deadlifted the rear and turned it sideways in the parking spot. Maybe not too similar, but included deadlifting a vehicle!

well hey, as long as you're lifting a car.. its fucking cool!

My friend and I did this to a chevy aveo and rolled it across a parking low, granted slowly. But the look on my other friends face was priceless when he thought his car was stolen and then saw it like 100 feet away from where he parked.

I too, proudly support the previous statement

Well now there are four of us...

This...

In high school we took a teachers Mini for a little walk. There was 6 or 7 of us, everybody just grabbed on and lifted, we probably carried it about 100 ft before taking a break, mostly from hurting hands. We put it in the middle of the football field. Good times.

A buddy of mine in high school ran cross country track and drove a 67 bug, we would always wedge it between tree's towards the finish line... 4 to 5 people and you can carry those things quiet far....

I suppose it depends how strong they are from work...

But is your friend really suggesting that ANYONE could get a stuck car out all by themselves? Saying, "well, a leg press doesnt carry over to a real world situation like a stuck car" is inane since I dont think ANYTHING would have that much positive carryover

" I don't know anything about cars. If my car breaks down and the gas tank does not say "E", ... I'm fucked! But if it DOES say "E", I say "I got this one" as I pull out the toolbox...AKA wallet!"

"I'd be a shitty automechanic. If someone brought their car to me and said, "My car won't start."
I'd say "Well, maybe there's a killer after you!"

Mitch Hedberg

Hahah!

"I rent a lot of cars, but I don't always know everything about them. So a lot of times, I drive for like ten miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the emergency brake. It's really not an emergency brake, it's an emergency "make the car smell funny" lever."