SBWC Fall Classic Training Log

This is much better. It’s a good system to follow, because as you go you figure out what you need to do to get a particular result.

The best thing to do with 5/3/1 - and this is just IMO based on the year and a bit I spent on it - is ignore most of Beyond, DEFINITELY ignore Forever and rotate between cycles of Boring But Big, FSL 3-5x5-8 with Triumvirate and Periodisation Bible. Jokers are a bad idea, because they just tempt you to max out. You may have far better self control than I, and if so have at them but I wouldn’t recommend it. Honestly, the 5/3/1 obsession of supersetting your main lift with pull aparts, chins, etc is also not great. It isn’t terrible, but it just adds another moving part that serves little purpose.

4 Likes

Thanks for the tips @MarkKO . I can definitely see myself switching in between, but probably not in the near future. I’ll probably run 3-4 cycles and evaluate from there. Im not sure what variation of 531 I’m running, but there is definitely no supersetting main lifts with other lifts haha. I started day 1 of the program today which was low bar squats. I tried to take what I learned from the video @FlatsFarmer posted and I felt great during the squats. My back is still sore from yesterday’s deadlift workout, but I felt no back pain whatsoever during the squats this time. A few minutes after the squats I felt like my low back was on fire. There was no deep pain or anything, just the feeling of a tremendous amount of lactic acid buildup. Its calmed down now.

2 Likes

Day 1 week 1 of 531

Low bar squat (focused on bracing and keeping a neutral spine)
5xbar
5x135
5x185
5x205
5x235
5x275
5x310
5x225

Below are the accessories prescribed for day 1 from the template. I picked things that wouldn’t obliterate me after squats. The program calls for 5 sets of 10 for each accessory exercise but I’m finding that a tad excessive.

Accessory work:

Weighted decline situps (25 lb plate behind the head) Christ these were hard
3x6

GHR
3x10 with 25lb kettlebell

Farmer walk with 80lb dumbells (4 sets total)

2 Likes

Bench day today. First time I’ve felt a bodybuilder style pump in awhile!

Paused bench
5xbar
5x95
5x135
5x165
5x190
5x215

5x10x135 close grip (started failing sets on the 4th set)

Facepull 5x10

Planks 6 mins total (multiple sets)

1 Like

@MarkKO what are your thoughts on hook grip? I tried hook grip for the first time today with some light weights and felt like the grip was slipping slightly. The pain was there but expected (although I can’t imagine what 500+) is going to feel like :confused:

I haven’t had any problems with mixed grip other than feeling slightly awkward, what bothers me is the risk of a bicep tear as the weights get heavier.

2 Likes

Hook grip sucks lol. Ive tried to work up in weight with it as well, most ive held is 455 with it. Problem for me is grip strength, ive gotten so used to pulling with mixed grip that hook grip just feels so unnatural and throws you off. Ive always heard/been told by others to just keep using it and the pain will subside and you eventually will get used to it. This video helped me out a little bit:

1 Like

I talked to a few experienced powerlifters in town and they did suggest nerve damage was possible and to avoid doing too much of it. Essentially they would hook their warmups and top sets, then strap up for everything else.

What i have been doing is working up to 4 plates using it, basically just warmups and only for singles. Still using mixed grip and sometimes straps for higher rep stuff

Going to hit some deads today so I think I’ll give that a shot.

week 2 of coan-phillipi. pushed it a few days early just to align it with the rest of 5/3/1, and the back held up nicely. I found that the pain in my back disappeared when i stopped overextending during my good mornings and kept a more neutral spine. I think that was the culprit along with overextending during low bar squatting.

I also worked with hook grip up to 385lbs. The pain was tolerable, but i could feel the bar slipping after that rep. Strapped up for the remainder of the heavier pulls.

Conventional deadlift:
5x135
5x225
3x275
2x315
2x345
1x385 (last hook grip)
3x415 (strapped - felt really easy)
1x415 (accidentally left everything on the bar and went into this thinking it was going to be a 345 speed pull lel. hopefully wont make that mistake again)

8x3x345 speed pulls
3x8x245 SLDL

3x5x135 good mornings (felt great)

Pullups 2,4,6,8,7,6,4,2

Lots of farmer walks with 80lb dumbells to work the grip hard

1 Like

Did you chalk your entire thumb? In my opinion hook grip is a necessity for sumo, not so much conventional. As for nerve damage. I’ve pulled with it for 2+ years and if I don’t keep up with it my thumbs go back to hurting really bad within two weeks. So they numb up then go back to normal if left alone.

2 Likes

Hmm no i didn’t now that i think of it. I only chalked the inside of the lower part of it. I should’ve thought about that earlier. Even for conventional my lats feel more engaged and overall I just feel less awkward.

Ah ok so if your thumbs go back to hurting the nerves haven’t been killed yet, and you pull ridiculous amounts haha. This is a good sign. I’ll definitely keep working with hook grip during warmup sets and do grip work on the side. I accept that there may in fact be some long term damage with hook that we are unaware of, but imo tearing a bicep sounds pretty awful.

Yea chalk it up good front ball and sides. I go down to the second knuckle. Skip the nail cause it won’t stick. For damage I really really doubt it in my opinion

1 Like

Thanks @Vincepac1500 I’ll definitely do that next session.

OHP
8xbar
5x65
5x75
5x95
5x135 (needed to get an idea of my 5rm)
5x95

Dips 2,4,6,8,10,8,6,4,2

Ab rollouts
5x8

Lateral and rear delt raise superset
4x10 each

Planks 4 mins total

Also @Vincepac1500 I’m not sure if you’re familiar with the Coan Phillipi program, but weeks 9&10 basically call for a 1 RM attempt with very little volume. Week 8 is the toughest workout on paper. If I’m not peaking for a meet would I just be better off resetting at week 1 with a new goal? Essentially turn it into an 8 week cycle.

3 Likes

I personally prefer heavy reps 4 and less so I would do it before going back

1 Like

Hook grip is da wae ma bruddah.

No nerve damage if you have the bar in the right spot. There’s just pressure on your tissues and it’s not very long at all not enough to cut off blood flow to the nerves or anything. Not much pain either if it’s sitting right.

It’s really secure too. I’m more worried about my straps loosening up during the set then my hook grip going lol. If in doubt chalk everything.

I don’t have high reps in my training right now (like more than 5) but if I did I’d do what the Calgary Barbell guy says and do last rep hook. So you start with straps for however many reps and then last one you release the straps and reset hook. This way we can do lots of work without worrying about our thumbs and get in lots of hook grip practice.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input guys!

1 Like

@guineapig I sometimes feel the straps loosening up during the set. It honestly feels less secure than mixed gripping it. Hopefully I’ll transition to hook quickly.

Figure 8 straps are maximally secure if that’s a problem. Mine are a bit too big so it hangs long and turns the deadlift into a two inch block pull so I don’t use them.

Been a long break as my gyms been closed due to exams. Was eager to get back in today. I feel like I re-aggravated my lower back after failing to brace properly for the last set. From now on it’s a belt for the top set just incase.

Squats
5xbar
5x155
5x185
3x225
3x255
3x295
3x335

Bench (paused)
5xbar
5x95
5x125
3x155
3x175
3x205
3x225

Close grip bench
5x10x135 (failed last set at 8 reps, next workout aiming to complete the full 5 sets)

Facepull 5x10
Bicep curls 4x8 with 20lb dumbbells
Planks

1 Like