SBWC Fall Classic Training Log

Nice work. Id like to see a video next time you pull to see how it looks.

1 Like

Such an underrated cue, pulling the slack out of the bar before you really initiate the pull. I pull conventional, but I too don’t feel really locked in until I’ve dropped my hips a little & taken the slack out of the bar. That’s when the lift starts.

1 Like

I definitely need to get footage next session. Theres usually at least one person I know who I can tap on the shoulder and ask them to record my set with their phone. Unfortunately I was a bit of a loner there tonight. I sort of need my own phone to hype myself up with music otherwise I would just record myself.

1 Like

One thing I’m noticing is that even when I pull the slack out of the bar, during my PR attempts I tend to pitch forward when initiating the pull. I’m not sure what the cause is just yet.

Are you turning your elbows into your side to get your lats flexed.

Ah jeez. May have forgotten that cue! Should I be trying to essentially bend the bar when doing this? I feel like this actually distracts me from the actual pull. I guess it’s a matter of practice.

You don’t really have to apply force. You ll see on my big pulls before I sit into position I’ll turn my elbows it itll help you keep your back tighter. When I start to round slightly is when I get pulled forward. Here’s a link to a pull you can see right after i grip I turn them nothing crazy but it’s noticeable.

2 Likes

Ah yes I see it now. I’ll definitely try that out when I get back from vacation. Thanks!

1 Like

Well I’m here in the Dominican Republic and let’s just say I’m on a bulk lel. I did manage to hit the gym at the resort a few days ago and did some back squats for the first time in several months. Did some pullups and bent rows aswell:

Back squats
5x135
5x185
5x225
5x255 (quads started cramping)
5x295 (fairly easy but still sore as hell two days later)

Bent row
5x135
5x155
5x185
5x225

Pullups
Pyramid->2,4,6,8,8,6,4,2 (I highly recommend this, my lats are still sore)

I’ll probably save sumo for when I get back to campus. Lookin to pull at last 485 the week that I’m back.

Finally got my first sumo deadlift workout in awhile. I did my best to implement the advice from @Vincepac1500, although i doubt i did everything right. It was a terrible workout overall though. Missed a 405 double overhand and it wasn’t even close. Bear in mind I had hit 400 pretty easily a couple weeks ago so this gave me an idea of what to expect.

435lbs felt easy enough but 485lbs would literally not leave the ground. Funnily enough I felt like my setup for the 485 was better than the 435, I just didnt feel as powerful for whatever reason. Just one of those days I guess. I’ll be back at it soon. Workout and vids below:

Sumo:
5x135
5x225
3x275
3x315
1x355
1x405 Miss (Double overhand)
1x405 (Straps)
1x435 (Straps)
1x485 (Miss)
5x385 (straps)

Pullups and farmer carries as accessories.

435lbs:

485 miss:

Btw happy new year everyone!

1 Like

Maybe cos you jumped up 50lbs

2 Likes

Yea I probably shouldn’t have even attempted 485 given how terrible I felt. I hit 480 the last time I pulled so I felt I might have been able to muscle it up somehow. Probably not the best idea when you’re trying to implement changes in your technique. tfw the bar barely leaves the ground :frowning:

Never try for a pr when testing new technique. Personally I would forget about the over hand pulling unless it’s with hook grip. Also don’t know if I’ve mentioned this to you but doing that 405-435 jump is 30 lbs then 435 to 485 is 50 lbs. When weight is getting close to Max you shouldnt make a small jump then a larger one. That said I think you’d notice a difference with a belt. With Your 485 (and 435 though able to muscle through it) you got rounded over pretty good. With a good belt you can get a lot of air in to get tighter and you’d be surprised how much Easier a lift is when you get a bit tighter.

Take a side video and you’ll be able to see how much you round over.

1 Like

Thanks Vince. Yep I definitely need to curtail the maxing out for the moment. I think I will switch over to a higher frequency routine (4 times a week) involving moderately heavy singles in the 395-425 range. I’ll outline something later this week.

As for the rounding over, this is also a problem I encountered in conventional. I don’t know what the weakness is but I’m confident it’s not weak erectors. I can also do roughly 12-15 dead hang pullups at 200lbs bw so my upper back and lats can’t be that weak I’m assuming? I have some anterior pelvic tilt that I’ve been trying to fix, but I’m not sure why I’m getting rounded over.

Not necessarily.

1 Like

Id be careful with that. Reps at lighter weight aren’t too bad but your talking 80-90 percent 4 times a week. That’ll burn you out quick. I pull twice one heavy 90+ % for reps and the second is just under 85% for speed work. It would suck do two more days of that each week.

Edit : since upping the volume i dropped down a bit to high 80% for heavy day but working back up as my body adjusts

1 Like

Hmm I see. But would 3 times a week be more doable assuming I’m not squatting? My accessories would look something like good mornings, ohp, pullups, farmer carries, ab work, GHRs or RDLs

*but why GIF

Why aren’t you squatting? Yes it would be “more” doable but you’d more than likely get more towards your deadlift squatting a session instead of deadlifting

Fair point. I’ll come up with something in the next few days.