SBWC Fall Classic Training Log

Thanks for the advice @MarkKO @losthog @kckfl349. I’m going to dedicate some time to doing more explosive RDLs and kettlebell swings.

@kckfl349 what was your rep scheme like for the kettlebell swings? I really want to try these out. I’ve done some research and these were one of the top exercises for improving lockouts apparently.

I was using a 70lb bell, but started with a few sets of 6-8 till i got the feel down. Every couple of weeks I would bump reps by 5. I was in the range of 3 to 4 sets of 20. They get your heartrate up too but they definitely helped with activating hips and glutes.

2 Likes

Explosive RDL

2x8x135
5x185
5x225
5x275
2x4x315
5x275

Kettlebell swings
6 sets with 25-40lb KB

The rdls with 315 remind me of the grind I had with the 505 yesterday. Looks like I’ve got a massive weakness here.

2 Likes

Go to work son! Posterior chain work train coming…

1 Like

Pretty nice DOMS in the upper back and hamstrings after yesterday’s workout.

OHP
5xbar
5x60
5x70
5x80
5x95
5x115
5x135
3x5x95

Weighted dips (45lbs)
4x5

Lateral raise
4 sets with 15lbs

Rear delt - bicep curl superset
4 sets with 27.5lbs

Tricep pulldowns
4x8

Ab rollouts
4x8

Kettlebell swings (focusing on form and shooting the hips)
4 sets with 25-50lbs

2 Likes

How did those KB swings feel?

They feel solid, my concern is that after I did the explosive rdls and KB swings my lower/mid back and hammies felt the main Doms. I didn’t feel any doms in the glutes (which I am presuming is my weakest point right now). It makes me question if I am doing them properly, although I do my best to hinge then shoot the hips forward.

1 Like

Squat
5xbar
5x135
5x185
3x230
3x270
3x310
3x345

Weighted pull-ups (goal is still 20lbs for 5x5)
5x20lbs
4x5x15lbs

Barbell holds (all sets to failure)
1x335
2x275
3x245

Weighted situps
4x8 with 10lbs

Foam rolling + stretching

1 Like

I think KB swings and RDL both attacks the posterior chain pretty good.
Disclaimer because I do not know that much about it.
But for glutes try some of these instead: (don’t know if this link is accepted)

https://cassielynnlambert.com/whats-the-difference-hip-thrust-vs-glute-bridge-vs-frog-pump/

2 Likes

Bloody good lifting and congrats on the deadlift PR.

1 Like

@I_Luc thanks man!

@mortdk I actually took a look at Matt krocs program and I have to say it looks very solid. Very aligned with what I want to do (more submaximal but still tough).

Paused bench
8xbar
5x95
5x135
3x155
3x185
3x210
3x235

Close grip
5x8x155

Incline press
4x8 w.55lbs

Rotator cuff work
Shoulder dislocations

2 Likes

To me the 5x5 days was the hardest, and the 5x1 day the easiest.

I haven’t really tried maxing out, but on the last day and the last single I did 2 reps with my former very grinding and very taxing 1RM that was after 2 or 3 singles with the same weight… And it was smoother and stronger. It helped me I think.

2 Likes

@idontbrag123 I dont ever really recall getting DOMs in my glutes with the KB swings either but definitely had soreness in the posterior chain. I really tried to focus pushing my hips through as hard as i could and kinda letting the KB float if that makes sense.

1 Like

Abysmal session to say the least. The weight had me beat before I got in the gym. Pulled all hook up to 485 and realized there was no way I was hitting 520 tonight and let it go. The funny thing is the weight actually moved solid up to 440. It’s just one of those days where you just feel drained. I think I’m in dire need of a deload. I’m not sure whether to jump into Matt krocs program or attempt 520 after the deload. We will see. 505 was a PR for me, and I’ll take it, but overall I made many mistakes that culminated in a resounding fail. Time to deload.

Deadlift
5x135
5x225
2x275
2x315
1x365
1x405 (easiest it’s felt in awhile tbh)
1x440
1x485 Fail

Edit: Decided I’m gonna deload then start Matt Krocs program. Even if I do manage to hit 520 I think it would honestly be a waste of time when I could be getting stronger.

2 Likes

Well said! Let it come to you.

1 Like

Patience my friend, youll have 550 before you know. When you plan on starting the Kroc Deadlift Program? I may run along with you

1 Like

Awesome! It looks like a solid program. I will be starting next week :smiley:

Cool, I will start it this weekend. It will be interesting to see the comparison of gains! lol

1 Like

Haha definitely! Always good to have someone to push you a little. What are you using as your starting max?

Im going to use 475, thats something i can walk in and hit pretty much at anytime without worrying about it. You? But yea I need the push too lol

1 Like