Identify This Equipment

Okay, so there’s this piece of equipment in my gym that I can’t really identify. It bugs me every time I see it that there’s something I can’t identify, so I figured I’d put it to the forum. Looks like this:

A metal 4’x4’ platform parallel to the floor roughly 5" above it. Has two 3’ posts that hold an O-bar on top. Basically it’s an elevated platform that puts an olympic bar at about crotch height.

What is this used for? Why is it elevated?

My only guess so far is that it could be for deadlifting? Since the platform is smaller than the O-bar is wide, you can set the bar about 1" above the platform with the weights resting on the ground below. Gives more ROM…

Can anyone tell me what it’s called and/or what it’s used for?

The only thing I’ve seen done on it so far is elevated look-at-me barbell curls.

r00k

Sounds like a deadlift platform to me. Your reasoning about the purpose of the elevation is correct.

Funny that people use it to curl.

Does it look something like this? If so, it’s a DL platform.

We always use it to curl or do rows and stuff. I never saw anyone use it for anything else. Deadlifts are normally done from the floor…

Yup, deadlifting platform. This will allow you to go lower on S-L deadlifts if you have the flexibility or do regular deads from a deficit.

Gotta be a deadlift platform, for sure.

And yes, i was one of those goofballs who use to use it for “twenty-one” curls back when I was a wee lad.

GAINER

Yep, it matches that picture exactly.

Good to know I guessed right…and sad that I’ve seen nothing but curling there.

I’ll have to give it a shot next time I’m in, de-metro it from the curl boys.

Thanks for the responses.

r00k

It’s SLDL platform not a DL platform. DL you start from the ground, it’s cousin you start from a stand. That’s why it’s up off the ground.

[quote]BRUCELEEWANNABE wrote:
It’s SLDL platform not a DL platform. DL you start from the ground, it’s cousin you start from a stand. That’s why it’s up off the ground.[/quote]

Unless (as pointed out) you are looking to start your deadlifts from a deficit.

Technically, it’s a power rack.

No, technically it’s a SLDL platform.

[quote]ubiquitous wrote:
No, technically it’s a SLDL platform.[/quote]

Technically it’s all of the above. lol