Ideas for Even More Forum Challenges

How recently? Did a challenge with my buddies a couple 6-8 weeks ago.

Ya, I saw your post above. I was wondering if anyone else gave it a shot. You had a pretty good time.

Oh shoot, yeah my bad #GiveMeAllTheAttention

1 Like

About 1 week out for me. Until then, another place I post at had a 20 rep deadlift challenge. I attempted 406 with an axle

3 Likes

Are you preparing for Murph or have you just been waiting to fit it into your training?

Been doing more running, but that is about it. Did like half the bodyweight stuff once just to see what it was like, and it wasn’t bad.

1 Like

Do you have a weighted vest? I’d be interested in trying to put down a decent time with some extra weight.

I don’t own a weighted vest. I’m not sure if they’ll be issuing them at the challenge. If so, I’ll take one, but if not, I’ll perform without. If I were to do it on my own, I’d wear some chains with a carabiner just because I have those.

When my foot heals, I’ll put down a time with 50 lbs. And I’m pretty sure you’ll smoke me.

Jesus H…

1 Like

Have you tried any of this yet? I ran a mile after a decent training day and could barely move my legs! Ran a 9:11 mile without any extra weight.

Excessive Push-ups before running make it quite difficult to breathe.

I think the top times for Murph are sub 30 minutes. I imagine I’d be in the hour range.

I have ran a couple of sub 5 minute miles and quite a few mid 5 minute miles. It’s been a while though lol

I can’t even begin to imagine the hell my knees would give me after running with a 50 pound vest on let alone 2 miles of it

God speed young brady

1 Like

You’ll be fine then. Surely you can stumble your way through a couple 8 or 9 minute miles with a vest. I loathe running so much that I don’t really push myself very hard. I endure a little discomfort but I don’t apply my passion for lifting to running.

I hear ya. I ran the 1 and 2 mile in high schoik track because my wrestling coach told me I had to. I hated every second of it. However, my dislike of running is the only reason why I run occasionally.

I don’t mind sprinting…or running fast. Running fast is probably more accurate. I rarely force my legs to move at 100% effort because I haven’t built up to it recently. Last year I started building up to 100% and decided to do a sprint drill day at the Y. It consisted of accelerations–starting and going all out for 10-40 meters. Then I did some fly’s for about 40 meters–that’s a running start and you hit top speed at the start of the 40 meters and maintain it the whole way. I was on my last one or two and wouldn’t ya know it, pop. I had a lovely hamstring strain. It felt bad at first but I was down to some mild soreness the next day. I think it occurred in the morning and by the end of the day my hip flexor was tight and sore because the hamstrings were trying to shorten up and pull my pelvis into posterior tilt. The hip flexor hurt worse than the hamstrings.

I haven’t really hit 100% all out effort since then but I’m considering building up to it. My recent video of me dunking at the Y showed me how slow I am.

Have you tried doing hill sprints at all? They’re a lot better to start back out on since you can’t really kick in full gear like you can on flat. Not to mention the risk of injury or re-injury is much slimmer making it safer and easier to recover from.

I used to mix in stadium bleacher sprints. The seats at WSU are perfect for my stride. I think it’s around 70 steps to reach the top if I remember correctly.

When I was actually training with a purpose I even did downhill sprints (overspeed). If wasn’t too steep - - just enough to force you to speed up our fall. If you end up “braking” then it’s too steep.

Another way to try that is with a back squat with 135#. At the end it’s brutal.

No doubt the back squat would be tough, but I can’t see that being as difficult as the 95lbs in the front rack. Once my knee heals up I’ll have to give it a go!