T Nation

Ideas for College Dorm Foods?

Basically I can bring a fridge and a microwave to school. I need to cook a few meals a week and would like it to be healthy and as quick as possible. I know there's oatmeal, yogurt, fresh fruits and maybe sweet potatoes. Any other suggestions? DONT WANNA STARVE PLEAAAASE

googled this stuff too and didnt a lot of ideas

*preferably no microwave meals as i am on a tight budget

Sneak a George Foreman grill in and use it to cook chicken breasts, lean ground beef, cheap steak, pork chops, etc. A blender can be useful in making big shakes, use protein powder, a banana, some oatmeal, and peanut butter

[quote]pwolves17 wrote:
Sneak a George Foreman grill in and use it to cook chicken breasts, lean ground beef, cheap steak, pork chops, etc. A blender can be useful in making big shakes, use protein powder, a banana, some oatmeal, and peanut butter[/quote]

I second the George Foreman, and maybe a 5th burner with a pot and skillet for eggs and pasta.

GF grill is a solid idea.

Also, get a rice cooker. Can make a lot of stuff in it in bulk.

Being in college you may not have a ton on money. But the best bang for your buck are going to be BB’ing staples, like chicken, beef, eggs, rice, potatoes, etc.

I’m an RA, so luckily no one disciplines me for having 2 fridges and some other ‘off limits’ things, but buy in bulk as much as you can, and realize you may have to take some time to cook and stuff, which is neither convenient nor the norm for most kids out age. So just prepare for that. lol

Hook up with an older student, who doesn’t live in a dorm.

She can make meals for you in her apartment, wearing nothing at all.

Sandwich materials, cottage cheese and protein powder is how I got through freshmen year with all dem gainz.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

She can make meals for you in her apartment, wearing nothing at all. [/quote]

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

good advice lol

If that plan falls through, I think I will get a rice cooker and take it to school (pretty sure that’s allowed and I’m Asian so I’m sure we have spare ones at home).

Thanks all

gluten free rice crispies.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

Solid advice

when i was a freshman in college, just a few years ago, i made sure to stock plenty of raw almonds, cashews, etc. protein powder, oatmeal, rice, and canned meats like tuna or chicken. I would also load up as much as i could at the food courts during the day.

spidey has some good advice and i would add that liquid meals like protein powder, oatmeal, and some healthy fats in between main meals were a staple of my diet during that time.

the important thing is to enjoy your freshman year at college. it is definitely a great experience. my only advice would be to watch out for too much partying…that can definitely destroy any progress you hope to make in the gym

Get a slow cooker and make pot roasts, chicken, and lots of other stuff.

I hate myself for everyday I lived without knowing how awesome a slow cooker was.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

I hate myself for everyday I lived without knowing how awesome a slow cooker was.[/quote]

tell me more! ive been looking into purchasing one and will be soon. any favorite recipes?

[quote]dpais wrote:
when i was a freshman in college, just a few years ago, i made sure to stock plenty of raw almonds, cashews, etc. protein powder, oatmeal, rice, and canned meats like tuna or chicken. I would also load up as much as i could at the food courts during the day.

spidey has some good advice and i would add that liquid meals like protein powder, oatmeal, and some healthy fats in between main meals were a staple of my diet during that time.

the important thing is to enjoy your freshman year at college. it is definitely a great experience. my only advice would be to watch out for too much partying…that can definitely destroy any progress you hope to make in the gym[/quote]

this is actually my sophomore year. first year meal plan had 3 meals per day, but the most food you can get with this plan is 19 per week (and even with 3 per day, we didn’t get enough to bulk because we don’t have all you can eat or buffet style). I would cut but I’m not nearly strong/big enough to cut. also thanks for the advice about partying- luckily i just stay in my room and watch netflix lol

[quote]dpais wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

I hate myself for everyday I lived without knowing how awesome a slow cooker was.[/quote]

tell me more! ive been looking into purchasing one and will be soon. any favorite recipes?[/quote]

I just keep it simple. Throw meat in the slow cooker with some sort of sauce. Onion soup, salsa, pasta sauce, whatever.