Ideas for Chin Ups at Home?

This is why I love this freakin’ community of people. I knew I could find some creative ideas from you folks.

Thanks a ton.

Here is my hangboard. I bought it about 6 years ago and it’s still in use. Awesome piece of gear that cost me around $80.

Instead of screwing it into my wall I mounted it on my patio doorjam. I’m a bigger dude so I drilled out the holes and re-countersank them to accept 1/4 inch diameter lag bolts and used the traditional washer/nut combo on the back side. Haven’t had a problem with it.

I’m a believer in the hangboard as well, not only can you do pullups but it’s also a great tool for working on grip/finger strength. It does not allow you to do traditional chins, true, but I think it’s more fun do dance around the board trying different grips and hand placement.

GAINER

Use 2 C-Clamps, and a barbell. If you have a beam in your garage or basement thats shaped like an I. Just put the C-Clamps up on the beam and slide the barbell through. I do alot from this bar, i work the abs alot too by using a motorcycle tiedown and hooking both hooks on the bar and leaning back into the swing while holding onto the bar and performing mid air hanging leg raises; this works better than fixed position leg raises(it incorporates more stabilizers and more of a body thru space movement)

I have a ton of inventions for bodyweight movements if anyone cares do do them, just ask. I dont have alot of equipment so i had to get creative, and i dont like messing with weights anyway. Ask me about my hamstring push ups and i’ll give you a killer exercise. Its basically a glute/ham raise but you don’t need a machine to do them on.

I got a million more.

I got calve inventions too.

I got alot of creative ideas that i have experimented with and I like to share some secrets to help you out if your struggeling for equipment or quality exercises.

I have a Frequency & Natural Bodyweight mentality and physique, so if your looking for advice on those lines i can help you out.

This one looks pretty cool. I don’t really like the in-frame bars.

http://newyorkbarbells.com/02001.html

[quote]Mr. Push Ups wrote:
Use 2 C-Clamps, and a barbell. If you have a beam in your garage or basement thats shaped like an I. Just put the C-Clamps up on the beam and slide the barbell through. I do alot from this bar, i work the abs alot too by using a motorcycle tiedown and hooking both hooks on the bar and leaning back into the swing while holding onto the bar and performing mid air hanging leg raises; this works better than fixed position leg raises(it incorporates more stabilizers and more of a body thru space movement)

I have a ton of inventions for bodyweight movements if anyone cares do do them, just ask. I dont have alot of equipment so i had to get creative, and i dont like messing with weights anyway. Ask me about my hamstring push ups and i’ll give you a killer exercise. Its basically a glute/ham raise but you don’t need a machine to do them on.

I got a million more.

I got calve inventions too.

I got alot of creative ideas that i have experimented with and I like to share some secrets to help you out if your struggeling for equipment or quality exercises.

I have a Frequency & Natural Bodyweight mentality and physique, so if your looking for advice on those lines i can help you out.[/quote]

Yeah, dude I as well as I’m sure a lot of other folks are always interested in new excercises. You should start a new thread and list them. Put a link to that thread on this thread. Thanks dude. Looking forward to it.

Use 2 C-Clamps, and a barbell. If you have a beam in your garage or basement thats shaped like an I. Just put the C-Clamps up on the beam and slide the barbell through. .[/quote]

Dooooooooode…thats genius…why didnt i ever think of something like that?

I had to do some careful measuring and shopping, because my basement is not very high and I did not have a lot of room. I got one of those pullup/dip station towers. It’s got a pullup bar on one side, and dip station/ab raise on the other.

I was also careful o get one with a pullup bar that was one piece, so I can hang my heavy bag when I’m not doing pullups. You can get them for about $100 - $150.

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2072188&cp=2057738.710956.694003&parentPage=family

How sturdy is that pull up bar made out of piping…? I’ve been meaning to put something together (pull up or squat rack, actually was going to try a basic reverse hyper) and think the piping might be easier than welding. Of course, like you said, welding wouldn’t be too bad either.

[quote]conorh wrote:
I made a pull up bar out of black iron pipe from Lowes. It’s not the greatest, but it works. Some modifications I would make:

First I would use bigger wrenches to assemble it. I only had two small junky ones to use, but if I had been at the farm I would have access to longer, better wrenches and that would have helped.

Then I would have used 1.5 or 2 inch pipe to come about a foot or so off the floor, then reduced it to 1 or 1.25 to go the rest of the way. Mine is only about 6 feet high, but I would probably make it 7, by adding the aforementioned thicker nipples at the bottom. I think I spent about 70 bucks including the wrenches and some junk parts I didn’t use.

You could do a little better and get a better bar if you have access to a welder. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist’s intellect or a neurosurgeon’s hand to stick weld something together, so that might be something you want to try.

In fact, then you could make an entire rack. You could even build a rack out of thick timber if you wanted to be really old school and avoid welding.

Hope that helps.[/quote]

This is what I use. Click link, scroll down to pull-up section.

Or go here for the best pull-up system I’ve seen anywhere.

http://www.tacticalathlete.com/tapsbar.htm

Use 2 C-Clamps, and a barbell. If you have a beam in your garage or basement thats shaped like an I. Just put the C-Clamps up on the beam and slide the barbell through. quote]

Really good idea.