T Nation

Ideas for Adding Flavor to Food

I was wanting to get some ideas on what others do to add flavor to their, chicken, turkey, ect. I’m looking for low cal, fat, sodium stuff.

I do know about Ms. Dash. Thanks!

Spices

Mustard

Worschestshire sauce or whatever its called

Franks red hot

Walden farm 0cal bbq sauce

0 cal ketchup

learn to cook man, it’s easy

…or just add Frank’s Red Hot

There’s an isle at most grocery stores dedicated to spices.

That’s food flavoring for the impaired. They even have different blends you can buy that are pre mixed. Like Mexican, italian, bbq.

I mean it’s really not complicated. But pre-mixed seasonings or use lots of 0cal bbq sauce, mustard and hot sauce.

I put Tobasco on everything,good for flavour, good for the metabolism.

Trader Joe’s has a fantastic General Tso’s Sauce. I put it on burgers, steaks, into soups…
Mmmmmm!

Sriracha is good on everything.

I started putting turmeric on eggs. I’m sure it’d work on meats too.

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:
Sriracha is good on everything. [/quote]

Now you’re talking…my fav!

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:
Sriracha is good on everything. [/quote]

This. Right here. Use it.

Also, spices. And think outside the box. I’ve used different spice combinations that I wasn’t sure about at first but was very pleased with.

if you can find an asian grocery store they usually have 1.5 gallon containers of sambal olek : ) it’s even better than sriracha as it has some texture and no sugar, and some varieties have garlic too. Overall it’s much cheaper if you have a sriracha fetish like most of us

I have the same issue. Once my 40gP,40gC,15gF meal composition is met, I’m left with very few options to make a tasty meal.

From the Caribbean and grown up on “soul food” spices alone without the refined fat, sugar and flour based condiments is just Ugh!!!

I realize the BB staple is mustard and hot sauce to drown out lack of not just taste but texture as well. So just getting my palette used to reducing tasty condiments.

Once trick I’ve been using is for example instead of cooking with EVOO wait to use it as a topping since cooking with it can drown out the taste.

[quote]giograves wrote:
I have the same issue. Once my 40gP,40gC,15gF meal composition is met, I’m left with very few options to make a tasty meal.

From the Caribbean and grown up on “soul food” spices alone without the refined fat, sugar and flour based condiments is just Ugh!!!

I realize the BB staple is mustard and hot sauce to drown out lack of not just taste but texture as well. So just getting my palette used to reducing tasty condiments.

Once trick I’ve been using is for example instead of cooking with EVOO wait to use it as a topping since cooking with it can drown out the taste.[/quote]

lol wtf are you guys eating

i hope you look like ronnie coleman with all this sacrifice

I’ll probably get flamed for this, but I really like the taste of sugar free syrup.

Mustard is also a great sauce.

Spices, I really like garlic salt, paprika, cinnamon, and cajun seasoning.

I want to start cooking with ginger, but I haven’t looked enough into how to do so.

I marinate a lot with EVOO, Balsamic Vinegar, Minced Garlic, and Lime Juice, for 24 hours.

It can make the cheapest cut of meat taste amazing.

Technically not low-fat, but you can drain the EVOO when you are finished cooking.

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:
I’ll probably get flamed for this, but I really like the taste of sugar free syrup.

Mustard is also a great sauce.

Spices, I really like garlic salt, paprika, cinnamon, and cajun seasoning.

I want to start cooking with ginger, but I haven’t looked enough into how to do so.[/quote]

I have ginger that I like to add to my rice as it cooks, it’s also and interesting spice when added to garlic and chili powder. I have some candied ginger I use now and then, mainly in brines.

While there are tons of low/free cal condiments available at your average supermarket, if you’re looking for low sodium options, you’re going to be a little disappointed.

I like to think that I’ve been pretty darn creative getting around my sweet tooth/fat boy gene when dieting by seeking out whatever options could make food taste better without blowing my daily #s. Sodium seems to be the big go-to when manufacturers are cutting out every macro in a food item.

The only non-sodium options I’ve personally used have been Mrs Dash (already mentioned), and just plain old black pepper. I’m sure you can find low-sodium options (ie. Heintz low sodium ketchup), but then you’re not dealing with a zero-calorie condiment, if that’s your intention.

S

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:
I’ll probably get flamed for this, but I really like the taste of sugar free syrup.

Mustard is also a great sauce.

Spices, I really like garlic salt, paprika, cinnamon, and cajun seasoning.

I want to start cooking with ginger, but I haven’t looked enough into how to do so.[/quote]

I slice up ginger root and throw it into soups or stocks. Cinnamon sticks are also tasty in soup.

[quote]bandit40 wrote:
I was wanting to get some ideas on what others do to add flavor to their, chicken, turkey, ect. I’m looking for low cal, fat, sodium stuff.

I do know about Ms. Dash. Thanks![/quote]

If you are going low fat and not using the skin of the chicken, etc., you can marinade your meats in an acid (like lemon juice, salad dressing, vinegar, etc.) with a little salt and whatever you want to flavor it with and it will absorb the flavors much easier.

When cooking with fat none of this is necessary because it helps keep the moisture and transfer flavors to the palate much easier. Fat tastes good by itself even.