Idealism - What Now?

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]The Myth wrote:
See, that’s exactly what I meant, the technique aspect. I believe one of the biggest obstacles to success is missing gym time, and, to that end, because of my age, I am extremely averse to injury - it’s the one thing that can keep me out of the gym. Because of that, I tend to hold back a bit, to not push it as much as I could in the interest of staying healthy. I know this slows my gains, but I have learned to avoid doing anything full speed or to the max.

Appreciate the discussion![/quote]

Actually this approach can PROLONG gains, rather than the constant balls-to-the-wall approach that many had success with, but wound up being semi-cripples in the long run. Look at Phil Heath and Jay Cutler and the way they train as opposed to Ronnie Coleman and Dorian Yates.

Jay is walking around looking great and symmetrical without torn muscles and frayed tendons and joints while Coleman and Yates have serious problems. If I recall correctly, Dorian can’t fully lock out one of his arms and one of his biceps is wrecked. [/quote]

Excellent point from a member who actually walks the talk.

Coleman is a wreck now. Back when it was all about Coleman vs Jay, I read an interview with Chris Cormier in which he offered the hypothesis that all the heavy lifting was taking a visible toll on Coleman’s physique and that he will not win number 9. And this turned out to be quite prophetic.

Yates was all about the HIT. I recall in an interview that he tore his bicep this way and the doc who worked on him wasn’t exactly on the ball. So when he re-attached the bicep, he lost full mobility. One can debate if this cost him from reaching the magic eight Sandow club. It very well could have. The point is, he never should have placed himself in this position had he known to strategically cycle in non-HIT type workouts.

Lee Haney, the only other eight-time winner, knew when to go heavy and when to go moderate to light. As far as I know, I don’t think he ever suffered a major injury.

I have nothing against lifting heavy - relative to one’s current strength level. I know utilizing the stretch reflex has it’s place or strategic body english also have their place. My training program is 60/40 strength/muscularity and aesthetics. But that’s my particular goals and my training reflects that.

The OP should be much more focused on the muscularity and aesthetics portion (the strength gains will be there, although admittedly not as dramatic). Based on what the OP brings to the table and his respective goals, I recommend hedging one’s bets every chance possible. So he does NOT have to lift heavy and be a numbers whore when there are proven techniques such as pre-exhaust and slowing the eccentric. I also strongly recommend walking away each session with something left in the tank - you should feel like you have another good set or two when heading for the door.

The Coach I worked with from 2013 to 2014 (we now meet just once a month to bounce ideas off one another) knows more about injury-prevention than anyone I’ve met or read to this very day. And he drilled into me the importance of staying healthy.

So these lifters I see who are chasing numbers and turning a blind eye to things like corrective exercises, pre-hab, deload, etc. just may find themselves one day in a world of pain and realize that someone played a sick cruel joke on them.

This would be bad enough at 22 or 32. At 52 - it can be catastrophic.

I lift pretty light, and think in the back of my head that I am being a sissy, and focus on form and the negative. Often, I hold the peak for a count of the number of reps I am doing. For example, on my first curl, I hold the peak for a count of eleven, on my second I hold it for a count of ten, etcetera.

Great point with respect to specificity, putting versus better golfer. I now teach HS English and force my students to have a specific question about essays rather than “How can I make this better?” For example, I encourage them to identify a specific area where they want help, like improving the introduction.

I should probably post a pic to provide context. I will try to take one this weekend. Most will either ask the question, “Dude, do you even lift” and many will tell me to start eating, but it might clarify my issues.

Thanks again!

Posting a few photos and my dilemma should become clear - I can afford to add significant lean body mass, I can afford to lose fat, I need to work on the wheels, I should eat and lift more - but where to start.

Thanks.

Another.

Last one.

Tbh, that’s kinda how I imagined you look.

Is there a reason your shoulder slumps down? Or is it just the way you took the selfies? If there are postural issues, you’ll need to find out what’s going on and take a pro-active approach.

If there are no postural issues, start lifting, eating, logging. You don’t have to keep a log here, but you should create one you can refer to.

Take weekly photos.

Assess.

Rinse.

Repeat.

Come back here, if you want, with specific questions. Listen to the peanut gallery and take info you find useful.

[quote]MinotaurXXX wrote:

Is there a reason your shoulder slumps down? Or is it just the way you took the selfies? If there are postural issues, you’ll need to find out what’s going on and take a pro-active approach.

If there are no postural issues, start lifting, eating, logging. You don’t have to keep a log here, but you should create one you can refer to.

Take weekly photos.

Assess.

Rinse.

Repeat.

Come back here, if you want, with specific questions. Listen to the peanut gallery and take info you find useful.[/quote]

Mino - thanks! Wondering if I look the way you imagined I looked because my description was so brilliant or because you’ve seen a lot of other skinny fat fucks like me posting about how to get huge, lol.

The shoulder is slumped because I am a complete loser with respect to using the phone for selfies - it’s just how I was holding the camera.

The log suggestion is great. I think we all know it but think it’s for other people, I’m just too smart to have to keep a log, and then just keep doing different things and getting the same results.

Eat, lift, keep a log. Great advice.

Thanks!

[quote]The Myth wrote:

[quote]MinotaurXXX wrote:

Take weekly photos.

Assess.

Rinse.

Repeat.

Come back here, if you want, with specific questions. Listen to the peanut gallery and take info you find useful.[/quote]

Mino - thanks! Wondering if I look the way you imagined I looked because my description was so brilliant or because you’ve seen a lot of other skinny fat fucks like me posting about how to get huge, lol.

The shoulder is slumped because I am a complete loser with respect to using the phone for selfies - it’s just how I was holding the camera.

The log suggestion is great. I think we all know it but think it’s for other people, I’m just too smart to have to keep a log, and then just keep doing different things and getting the same results.

Eat, lift, keep a log. Great advice.

Thanks!
[/quote]

What I meant is that you have the potential to make improvements.

Remember: tick tock tick tock.

You’re not some nineteen year old who only has to deal with school, a part-time job, lifting, and trying to get laid.

We need to establish a baseline regarding exercise selection, programming, diet. The log and weekly photos will clue us in on what to adjust.

In addition to exercise/weight/sets/reps, feel free to write in QUALITATIVE experiences. Did you feel a particular chest exercise in your shoulders and triceps? Log it. Does eating sweet potatoes pre-workout give you a better pump than white rice? Log it. You’re on T therapy. Log doses, timing, etc. So on and so forth.

Don’t try to create the perfect exercise and nutrition program from the start because you won’t. Think about the great plays and novels; the first draft is never the one that goes to print. So get that first draft going, put it in action, and let’s determine what needs improvement.

Tick tock tick tock.

What’s my bodyfat percentage? Wheels, I know!

i am 56 so i find this thread interesting
there is a trainer in my area who does a spot on the local news he is in his 60’s
did a dexa scan trained for muscle gain 6 weeks later did dexa scan gained muscle
but {i hate buts} the muscle gain was measured in grams
gains are gains

Figured I might as well park progress pictures here. This is from yesterday, 01-09-2016.

pic looks good keep it up

the myth said
My wife accuses me of having a girlfriend because I have abs,
. I was at a friend’s house last Summer and in his pool. When I got out he started laughing and I asked why and he said, “Dude, you are fucking ripped.”

what you just said that is what counts

on the injury thing some people talk about .
I know quite a few people in their 50s,60s, who have had knee replacement,hip replacement who never lifted or trained sports
I known several who are physical wrecks and never trained before
I understand the need for injury prevention but there is being to careful

{ I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at deaths door}

Just updating pictures, and proving Seraphim wrong - I did have more muscle to lose. The picture on the ninth was post workout. Today’s is not. I’m down two pounds, body fat not appreciably changed according to my scale. Lighting isn’t as good today either, took the pic at home - the gym locker room has much better lighting - that’s why it is blurry. I will take a new pic next time I get to the gym so it is a better comparison.