Ideal Way to Shed Bodyfat?

Fucking hell; some of these responses guys, i’d think I was on the menshealth forum. The original poster clearly doesn’t know what he is on about; yet isn’t getting flamed; and even more worrying is that people are telling him to do HIIT so he can get ripped like Brad.

Remember where you are :smiley:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

Nice article about Tabata method. I don’t use weights though, primarily because I want more agility for sparring.

[/quote]

i don’t understand the no weights thing. apparently you think adding intensity to a tabata makes you less agile?

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

I don’t use weights doing Tabata, as is described in the article.

[/quote]

Yes. To get the best results of tabatas you should be trying to get as many reps as possible. Heavier weights don’t work well for that, but things like pushups, squats, burpess, and cycling do fit the protocol better.

ETA: You should be shooting for 25-30 reps of pushups or squats. Grasshoppers also make for a killer tabata set.

Weights dont play too much of a role. but without weights, u are going to lose more options on taxing the body enough to enhance fat loss.

In the words of Coach Davies - want fat loss? work ur ass off.

While tabata with pushups, lunges, bodyweight squats, depth jumps, etc etc is good, it certainly wont do any harm to have weights in it.
I’ve tried the Thruster tabata with moderate weights and i believe u peeps who tried it as well would have to agree that it seriously kick ass. way beyond doing pushups or body weight squats.

[quote]ybthere1 wrote:
Wreckless wrote:
Or, you could do a full body workout 3 days a week, and cardio on 3 other days.

I would have to agree. You could also try supersetting your exercises, lowering the intensity, and raising the volume of your workouts.[/quote]

If you’re looking to increase the caloric burn of a workout, wouldn’t you want to up the intensity weight-wise AND reduce your rest periods? Granted it’s tough, but no one said this was supposed to be easy. For example, Chad’s “10x3 for Fat Loss” (which is awesome, by the way) prescribes short rest and heavy weights for very short sets that keep your heart rate waaaaay up. Good stuff.

[quote]rawda wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

Nice article about Tabata method. I don’t use weights though, primarily because I want more agility for sparring.

i don’t understand the no weights thing. apparently you think adding intensity to a tabata makes you less agile?[/quote]

Yes. If I have to focus on contolling a weight, I’ll have less focus on where my body is in space. Its hard to explain but sparring is not just two guys wailing on each other. Holding a weight in my hand reduces my awareness of myself.

(Wow, that sounds like some sort of Zen b.s.! Didn’t intend it that way. Maybe someone who wrestles or does MMA could explain it better?)
HH

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

Yes. If I have to focus on contolling a weight, I’ll have less focus on where my body is in space. Its hard to explain but sparring is not just two guys wailing on each other. Holding a weight in my hand reduces my awareness of myself.
[/quote]

This is correct and at the same time not.

Bodyweight exercises are a definite must for martial artists as your work strength-endurance not only for most of your body but through your body.

But fighting nearly always (except in very restricted environment- like sport matches) involves the other guy pushing you somewhat around.

That’s why free weights (especially dynamic exercises like the clean) are just as good, as you learn to work with an external force which is affecting your body.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

This is correct and at the same time not.

Bodyweight exercises are a definite must for martial artists as your work strength-endurance not only for most of your body but through your body.

But fighting nearly always (except in very restricted environment- like sport matches) involves the other guy pushing you somewhat around.

That’s why free weights (especially dynamic exercises like the clean) are just as good, as you learn to work with an external force which is affecting your body.
[/quote]

Of course. I’m simply pointing out that I don’t use weights doing Tabata. Because of the intensity of a Tabata workout, it is much like sparring (for intensity). Holding a weight decreases my concentration on body position.

I use weights for lifting and BW for Tabata. Its that simple.

BTW: Anyone who thinks you need weights for doing Tabata is welcome to do burpees, according to the Tabata protocol. Keep a bucket nearby…

HH

Gotta give this “prison tabata” a try.
Now where is my bucket…

[quote]Gary Busey wrote:
IM curious to find out which of the following would be the most effective in burning off fat.
A split routine along with cardio, MON-Back , Tues-legs and abs etc…

Or Total body workouts along with cardio.

MOn- Bench press, dips, squats, military press, lunges, dumbellrows
and some additonal arm and calves(Light) + Cardio

Tues-OFF

Wed- Same Muscle groups just different excercises.

THur-OFF

Thanx for any info and advice comments greatly app.
[/quote]

Just curious to know why your limiting yourself to these options?

What condition are you in now? What condition are you striving for? What is your diet like at the moment?

I’ve found that simply doing 40 mins of ridiculously low intensity cardio 5 days a week in the mornings on an empty stomach with a truckload of BCAA’s and HOT-ROX burns off fat fast.

To keep making gains I switch up my routine. New routines always have a dramatic effect on muscle gain for me. (For instance I went from full body, to split last time). In combination with the HOT-ROX, BCAA’s, a good balance of Omega’s, carbs in the morning, and 200 grams of prot a day, I kept making gains.

I’d imagine this is pretty typical cutting tactic.

How about that routine that Chad Waterbury laid out for those who want to get lean with out regard to their diet.

I forgot what it was, but basically his point was that it’s easier to stick to a good diet than to try that routine.

I wonder what kind of results it would lead to if done with a good diet???

Erm. Hella shredded? just guessing
Don’t have the kinda commitment for the mo to try ‘get lean without dieting’… sigh. sometimes i just wish life is just only bout lifting, eating and sleeping.
but the workout is really tough. i tried it for a week. fun.
but couldnt have the time to continue the workout… not when studies, work, family and social come together.

tjun