Ideal Sleep Pattern

Over the years, I’ve read that a majority of top bodybuilders nap during the day. Ever since I started weight training, I never had the free time to take a nap in the middle of the day. Now that I’m done with school for 8 months, I have the day time free to do as I please.

When is the best time to take a nap during the day and what are the benefits of doing so?

I’m usually done with my breakfast, surge, training, and PWO meal by about 10:30 and then don’t go into work till 5.

Try napping right after a workout.

[quote]alownage wrote:
Try napping right after a workout.[/quote]

Yeah, I second this. I forget who said it on here, but they said something like “taking some time after a workout to relax will help your CNS recover” I bet a nap would help even more than just relaxing.

That does make the most sense. A quick 15-20 minute nap after a intense workout and PWO meal would probably help with recovery.

Are there any metabolic disturbances caused by napping after a large meal (PWO)?

The best sleeping program I ever had was 1am to 7am every night, and an hour and a half nap during the day. The nap was a full cycle, I would dream in the middle of it and wake up refreshed. I did it after my workout on training days. It was only 7 and half hours of sleep a day, but felt like more than enough. It was such a pain when I had to come back to a monophasic sleep cycle though.

Being a personal trainer, I only get enough sleep at night on the weekends, if I’m lucky. I finish up evenings at 9pm, and come back in by 5 or 6 am for my morning clients.

I will ususally sleep from 10:30 pm til around 5 am, then come back after my morning run about 9, and sleep until 12 or 12:30. I then eat, and train about 1 or 1:30 pm. This isn’t ideal I’m sure, but it works for me.