Ideal Height for Bodybuilder?

What do you guys think is the ideal height to be competitive as a bodybuilder? Is 6 foot plus too tall?

The shorter the better up to about 5’7". Shorter than that seems to hurt placings.

Taller guys are now getting more of a spotlight though with Ced McMillan…but in terms of who seems to fill out the fastest and look bigger at lesser body weights, that would be the short guys.

If I had to set “too tall” at a limit, I would say over 6"2’ simply because you very rarely see someone that tall who can get as filled out as someone shorter.

Way too many variables to answer with any certainty.

Probably average height is best… whatever THAT is.

I’d tend to think the 5’8 to 5’10 category

Any taller than that and it’s just too hard to pack on enough mass (generally speaking), and no one is going to take you seriously if you are any shorter (again, generally speaking).

[quote]ByronKelleher wrote:

Any taller than that and it’s just too hard to pack on enough mass (generally speaking), and no one is going to take you seriously if you are any shorter (again, generally speaking).

[/quote]

Franco Columbu
Danny Padilla
Lee Priest
Mohammed Benaziza
David Henry

I could go on. ALL taken seriously.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[/quote]

Franco Columbu
Danny Padilla
Lee Priest
Mohammed Benaziza
David Henry

I could go on. ALL taken seriously.[/quote]

I said generally speaking, slick. There are also plenty of 6 foot plus guys who have the requisite amount of muscle mass to compete. But, again, I was talking in general terms.

As an aside, Columbu is my all time favourite and the exception rather than the rule.

What do you guys think is the ideal height to be competitive as a bodybuilder?[/quote]
No such thing as “ideal.” Like any other sport, there are plenty of examples of guys being successful at pretty much every height, from the guys ID listed to guys on the taller end of the spectrum like Steve Reeves, Reg Park, Dave Draper, Arnold, Ferrigno, Gunter Schlierkamp, Paul Dillet, and Toney Freeman.

But really, of all the factors involved in bodybuilding, height the one that you literally have pretty much zero influence on. So I’d say it’s not worth the mental energy worrying about.

Definitely not.

[quote]I’d tend to think the 5’8 to 5’10 category

Any taller than that and it’s just too hard to pack on enough mass (generally speaking)[/quote]
The most successful Mr. Olympia winners seem to be right around 5’10", give or take an inch, but see above examples of successful taller guys.

Disagree. See ID’s post.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

What do you guys think is the ideal height to be competitive as a bodybuilder?[/quote]
No such thing as “ideal.” Like any other sport, there are plenty of examples of guys being successful at pretty much every height, from the guys ID listed to guys on the taller end of the spectrum like Steve Reeves, Reg Park, Dave Draper, Arnold, Ferrigno, Gunter Schlierkamp, Paul Dillet, and Toney Freeman.

But really, of all the factors involved in bodybuilding, height the one that you literally have pretty much zero influence on. So I’d say it’s not worth the mental energy worrying about.

Definitely not.

[quote]I’d tend to think the 5’8 to 5’10 category

Any taller than that and it’s just too hard to pack on enough mass (generally speaking)[/quote]
The most successful Mr. Olympia winners seem to be right around 5’10", give or take an inch, but see above examples of successful taller guys.

Disagree. See ID’s post.[/quote]

Thanks for your input Chris. Not very insightful, still nice to see you getting involved though. Hang in there champ.

What do you guys think is the ideal height to be competitive as a bodybuilder? Is 6 foot plus too tall?[/quote]

Yep. That’s why Arnold was never successful. If only he’d been shorter, he could have had a real bodybuilding career.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

What do you guys think is the ideal height to be competitive as a bodybuilder? Is 6 foot plus too tall?[/quote]

Yep. That’s why Arnold was never successful. If only he’d been shorter, he could have had a real bodybuilding career.[/quote]

Notice the question marks. I was not attempting to give a definitive answer, merely offering a forum for debate. Obviously someone has a touch of Napoleon syndrome.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

Yep. That’s why Arnold was never successful. If only he’d been shorter, he could have had a real bodybuilding career.[/quote]

Notice the question marks. I was not attempting to give a definitive answer, merely offering a forum for debate. Obviously someone has a touch of Napoleon syndrome.[/quote]

lolwut

TooByron.I think a person is more asthetic at a 6-foot height,but in b.b. as of late the winning height5 is what jay Cutler is i believe 5-8.The shorter man though in public life is different.taller people arwe more socio-economically successful.Like other poster`s have stated.Height is not debatable.You are what you are.

While being on the ‘shorter’ side (at least of 6’) can help, all the pros considered seriously ‘thick’, or ‘huge’, have not merely been shorter, but would have been pretty densely muscled even had they been a few inches taller.

Mentzer - 5’8
Cutler - 5’9
Yates - 5’10
Coleman - 5’11

Even Mentzer, as the shortest of those I listed, could never have competed in the 202 class. Of course the standards was different back in the late 70’s/early 80’s, but if you pull up pics from the 1980 olympia, with Arnold being 6’, and everyone else being a good several inches shorter, you can see the advantage of having a slighter stature, yet having the same, if not more, muscle mass.

S

How does one gain length?

FST7 dont work…

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
FST7 dont work…[/quote]

i can’t believe what I just read

Your age is like your IQ, way too big. You are an has been.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
FST7 dont work…[/quote]

i can’t believe what I just read[/quote]

I know. I cant believe i found something FST7 couldnt do.

Bone bones just dont respond